Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-May-28 9:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: House Rules Thread
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-15 2:52 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

As mentioned in the September 2013 update announcement, we're revamping the Optional section of the rules to feature links to external groups variants. If you'd like to contribute some - points systems, alternate mulligans, extra rules, whatever makes your games more fun - post them below!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: House Rules Thread
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-15 3:16 pm 

Our mulligan rule:
Quote:
If you wish to mulligan, exile your hand, and draw seven new cards. Repeat until you get a hand you're happy with. Shuffle all exiled cards back into your library.
It's hugely abusable, but that's tempered with the fact that it's virtually impossible to "craft" a good starting hand since you have to get rid of everything, and are guaranteed not to see any of those cards in what is eventually your starting hand.

The main advantage to this is that there is no between-mulligan shuffling, and you don't feel like you're starting way behind if you have to mulligan to 4 or 5 cards.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-15 3:21 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Viperion wrote:
Our mulligan rule:
Quote:
If you wish to mulligan, exile your hand, and draw seven new cards. Repeat until you get a hand you're happy with. Shuffle all exiled cards back into your library.
It's hugely abusable, but that's tempered with the fact that it's virtually impossible to "craft" a good starting hand since you have to get rid of everything, and are guaranteed not to see any of those cards in what is eventually your starting hand.

The main advantage to this is that there is no between-mulligan shuffling, and you don't feel like you're starting way behind if you have to mulligan to 4 or 5 cards.

I suspect that's actually the most popular mulligan option (it usually has "Don't abuse this" tacked on the end). It's fast and ensures everyone gets something reasonable to start with.

I know Armada requires you to prove you don't have 3 lands after the first.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-15 11:55 pm 

We use partial Paris mulligans. Exile X cards from your hand face down, draw one less and when satisfied shuffle the exiled cards back in your library and start the game.

Not many house rules outside of that, but we tend not to play with the Annihilator 4 Eldrazi since they just hammer one player too hard.

Dralnu, Lich Lord - Super grindy control for competitive play.
Jasmine Boreal - Flower power! Nature themed casual fun.

Find me on Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-16 12:57 am 

Most groups in my area use a free partial paris mulligan:

1. Players may exile (face down) some or all of the cards in their hand.
2. Each player draws cards from their deck equal to the number they exiled.
3. Players may repeat this process any number of times, drawing one less card each time.
4. Players shuffle all exiled cards into their deck.

Our group usually mulligans all at the same time (instead of going in turn order) just to speed things up. It's super-abusable, but it usually prevents players from sitting a game out due to early mana screw.

EnchantRitheth
Wort Wort
Seton Devotion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-16 1:27 am 

Might as well write out our Gauntlet event rules, though tournaments aren't the RC's purview these have been hugely popular and draw over 30 people per event.

First and most important you need multiples of four to start the event, here's why:

Round One: Four-player pods.

Players are assinged to a four-player pod. Each player takes a simultaneous partial Paris mulligan then play proceeds in turn order. This is your typical multi game with two important changes:

1)You cannot concede in this portion of the event, because doing so would screw up pairings in the following round. If you do concede, you're done for the day.
2)Infinite combo gets you only a single point for the table. You do not get an individual kill point for each player off an infinite combo. Note that you are not required to infinite combo out if you have it on the table. You can just use it as a rattlesnake if you wish.
3)You get one point for every player you defeat and one point for last man standing. See above for exceptions. In the event of a draw, all players at the table get a single point.

This round lasts two hours. There are no extra five turns here, as there would be in a sanctioned duel.

Round Two: 2 v 2

Players are assigned a partner based off their standings in a previous round. Teammates are seated diagonally from each other, like so.

A B
B A

So Team "A" is seated diagonally and so on. Play goes in clockwise turn order. If players want to discuss a card they'd like to play, they must reveal them to the entire table, you can't just pass the card to your partner face-down or something for their approval. You get one point each opponent you defeat and an extra point for your team being "whole" on round completion.

Round 3: 1 v 1

This is your standard one v. one game. You get 60 minutes to complete and a point per game win, with a total of two points available.

Entry is $5 per player, which gets redistributed to the winning players in $4 "Shoppe Bucks" packets at the end of the event. These can be used toward your next tournament entry or anything else in the store.

Dralnu, Lich Lord - Super grindy control for competitive play.
Jasmine Boreal - Flower power! Nature themed casual fun.

Find me on Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-16 2:38 am 

Ok so I know this is kinda abuseable but we have a pretty lenient mulligan rule. We actually use this for all of our Magic games not just Commander.

If you draw your opening hand and you have no land, one land, or all land you can reveal your hand to your opponent (so we know you're not cheating), shuffle your library, and redraw seven cards.

Keep in mind that this makes no distinction on what kind of land. If you draw City of Shadows, and Unholy Citadel too bad for you. (I'm not sure why you'd play Unholy Citadel but it's your call)

Our feeling is that if you don't have at least minimal resources to start the game it's really not much fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-16 2:23 pm 

I my playgroup (I play at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities), we give a free first mull (shuffle, draw 7), but I think I'll try to introduce the exile, draw 7 rule to speed things up. We have experimented with partial paris, but found that it's too abuseable.

We have two HUGE house rules that I think would be good additions to, at the very least, the optional rules. The first rule is that if anything cares about a specific life total, like felidar sovereign or sorin markov, we change it chalice of life style. That means Felidar Sovereign now reads "if you have at least 20 life more than your starting total" and Sorin sets your life total to 10 less than your starting total (some people want 20 since he halves). This makes the game much more fair in my opinion, and yes, I do actually play felidar sovereign and test of endurance, the ruling means that you need to have some support for them and can't just throw a sovereign into any goodstuff deck. This also makes serra ascendant a lot worse, and resulted in her(?) leaving the meta.

Our other rule is no infect. When I say no infect I mean no one plays it. It's just not fair in EDH. If someone were to play it (someone actually does have Corrupted Conscience) we think it'd take 20 poison counters to kill, though there is some debate about that. Point is that 10 poison counters is unfair, and rather than argue about wether it should be 15 or 20 or what we just avoid it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-16 9:23 pm 

Your deck can't have cards whose interaction can produce an infinite loop. Commander is a format that exists to promote epic plays, and not something that wins you the game on the spot. In other words, you can't have cards that can allow you too:

- Deal infinite damage to any player or cause infinite loss of life;
- Draw all the cards in a player's library;
- Gain infinite extra turns;
- Gain infinite life;
- Generate infinite mana;
- Produce infinite tokens;
- Put all the cards from a player's library into his graveyard or exile.

I also agree with smash's rule about setting life totals:
- Magister Sphinx and Sorin Markov would set a player's life total to 20 instead of 10;
- Felidar Sovereign only triggers if your life total is 60 or higher, while Test of Endurance only triggers if your life total is 70 or higher;
- Fateful Hour would take effect at 10 life rather than 5;
- Avatar of Hope could be cast for only two mana if your life total is 5 or less (yes, 5 instead of 6);
- Near-Death Experience would still continue to trigger only at 1 life for flavor reasons;
- etc.

Name: Night of the Ninja
General: Vela the Night-Clad
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Boros Legion
General: Aurelia, the Warleader
Archetype: Aggro

Name: Dragon Fire
General: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-17 5:17 am 

Since it came up in another thread, this is how we do wishes:

Players may bring a 10-card wishboard that follows the standard deck construction rules (must follow color identity, no duplicates - even between mainboard/wishboard, etc). Abilities that refer to cards owned outside the game may retrieve wishboard cards.

Fetching 8 colorless eldrazi off Spawnsire of Ulamog is a lot less than fetching 80, but it still gets the job done :D

EnchantRitheth
Wort Wort
Seton Devotion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-26 12:25 pm 

We allow off-color hybrids in our group as a house rule. All mana costs still need to be payable with mana of your general's color identity.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-26 12:45 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Question for those of you who house rule Magister Sphinx and Sorin to set life totals to 20: do you allow a player to set their own total to 20?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-26 1:38 pm 

If all players but the caster groan in unprompted unison when a spell is cast it is countered, happens with Sylvan Primordial.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-27 6:56 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Question for those of you who house rule Magister Sphinx and Sorin to set life totals to 20: do you allow a player to set their own total to 20?

Yes, that's perfectly legit :)

Name: Night of the Ninja
General: Vela the Night-Clad
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Boros Legion
General: Aurelia, the Warleader
Archetype: Aggro

Name: Dragon Fire
General: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Archetype: Midrange

Last edited by Maluko on 2013-Sep-27 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-27 7:30 am 

Sheldon wrote:

No

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next