Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-18 7:09 pm

Post subject: Re: Forum upgrade "step 1"
AgePosted: 2009-Jul-17 9:11 am 

Bleach wrote:
ReAnimator wrote:
who seriously reads anything with white text on black? or good grief black on grey, are you serious?

Uh, I do. Staring at a bright white computer screen for hours on end is really hard on the eyes. Using dark backgrounds also saves energy, which can add up to quite a bit of energy with all the computer monitors in the world.

I blame Windows (particularly Word) for making black text on white the norm.

Anyway, nice update. I like the new look.

Both of these assumptions are wrong.

Black pixels are still emitting light just on a different frequency, If you notice on a TV or Monitor Black isn't really black like when it is off it is still projecting something, it doesn't save on electricity at all, your monitor is still on and all the pixels are active.

The higher contrast and smaller amounts of bright information with white on black is way more eye fatigue inducing than black on white. There are optical studies to back this up. If it works for you great. But since black pixels are still light, your brain still receives them this way and they still contribute to eye fatigue from light. Stark white is bad for your eyes too, a softer grey if apparently optimal.

But as i said, whatever works for you for your eyes and for layouts, go for it.

@Genomancer
The Avatars on the right isn't really something to get used to, especially if you visit other forums that are all a different way. Your brain creates short cuts with recognition, you don't read every ones titles, you often just recognize avatars, and your eye will always go to the same place. Also being unfamiliar with layout leads you to process information slower. There is a reason all english language books read left to right and front to back, and all japanese books read back to front (and sometimes up and down). There is an established acceptance of style, and avatars and info on the right when you see it the other way 99% of the time everywhere else is confusing and would take a lot of getting used to for some.

Anyway again thanks for all the updates the streamlining of the URL's and other updates are great.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Jul-18 5:02 am 

While I think the current default look is a fine choice for those wanting to use it, it's quite dark. The first thing I thought when I saw it was that I was in the wrong place. Did we turn into a gothic forum or something?

Wouldn't it be better to attract new people to the forums if we had a friendlier, warmer looking skin as the default?

Btw, I actually like the ProSilver skin, including its avatars on the right side.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Jul-21 9:45 pm 

How do I keep the forum from logging me out all the time? Every time I log in, I check the "Log me in automatically" box, and every time I come back to the site, I have to manually log in again. I didn't see any settings to change in my user control panel, so it just something I'm doing wrong?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Jul-21 9:47 pm 

Go to "forum.dragonhiglander.net" rather than the old url.

Offline Profile