Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-21 8:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 11:54 am 
EDH Rules Committee

To assist people in finding previous answers or discussions of freqently raised topics, I'm going to assemble an FAQ (likely with a link on the rules page, at the top of the forum page, and stickied in this forum). The idea will be to distill the discussion points and conclusions so that people can review it easily.

To that end, I'd like suggestions for:

* Individual cards which see a lot of suggestion for banning. So far, I'm planning to add an FAQ for Mindslaver, Magister Sphinx, Sol Ring, Sundering Titan, Iona, Obliterate, and everything currently or previously on the banned list. What else?
* Individual card interactions (eg: Oblivion Ring on a General)
* Particular entries on the rules list which people often don't understand the reason/reasons behind. (eg: Do I have to pay +{2X} if my General is bounced to my hand?)
* Other concepts? (Most popular generals? 1v1 rules list?)

Once I have a list of Questions, I'll put out a call for answers.. for now I just want to get a general structure for what should be on the FAQ list. "Me toos" or "Yeah, what he said" aren't necessary at this point... we're just brainstorming and I reserve the right to choose what is/isn't going on the list.

G

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 11:59 am 

Relentless Rats

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 12:03 pm 

Hybrid mana symbols and how they count for colors

Possibly a section on Planechase & EDH

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 12:12 pm 

'Combo' generals as a whole (Arcum, Niv-Miz, Roffy, Erayo, Zur)

The differences between Online Commander & EDH

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 12:59 pm 

Tuck/Subduction spells like Proteus Staff, Condemn, Bant Charm, Spin into Myth, etc. seem to surprise newcomers.

Other spells to mention: Time Stretch
Probably any static life score spell like the new Horny Cat, Divinity of Pride or Test of Endurance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 1:09 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Great... really good suggestions so far.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 1:16 pm 

Can I suggest instead of titling Mindslaver et al "cards that people frequently ask to be banned" instead have a section devoted to "Strategies and Cards that will make you unpopular".

I also think that there is a place for "Ways to deal with generals"

Broad multiplayer EDH deck Archetypes might be useful.

The individual rationales behind banned cards may also help, particularly with regards to people moaning about how they can't recur kokusho. Being able to say "read FAQ 3.13" to this would be helpful rather than kicking off yet another debate. Granted it won't stop everyone, but it is worth a shot.

Following on from this you could consider a rationale for why Mindslaver and Magister Sphinx are not on the banned list.

You've posted up the guidelines you use to create the banned list before so it may be worth copying and pasting it in.

A list of format variations, though I think that these should be limited to EDH Variations and not Magic Variations applied to EDH so no Star or Planechase but yes to my matching generals for example.

Big Mac and Pickles (Angus Mackenzie Control inc. Pickles Lock)|Sharuum (Artifact Combo)|Garza Zol (Vampires+Goodstuff); Sedris (I can steal anything); Nicol Bolas (WIP)|Kresh (Jund Good Stuff);Karrthus (Dragon Tokens Everywhere)|Tamanoa (Earthquakes Galore)
Wedges:
Oros (Life gaining Pings)|Riku's Perfect Snowstorm (Variety of Storms+Snow)|Doran the Explorer (Wall Tribal)|Ruhan (Voltron);Zedruu (Enchantments)
5C:
Scion (Dragon Stompy Midrange)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 1:20 pm 

Not so sure about others - but I know I would enjoy knowing the difference as why the power 8 is banned, but other powerful & expensive cards (like Mishra's Workshop, Imperial Seal) are not banned.

The workshop seems comparable to moxen (mana accel for the deck it is in.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 4:00 pm 

Justifications for the cards on the current ban list would be another thing I'd very much like to see, as some of them are confusing and sorely need explanation--foremost in my mind is Coalition Victory, but most of the others would benefit from explanation.

This is especially important for a recommended ban list, because if you're leaving it ultimately up to individual playgroups, they should have better access to the reasons why you've suggested those cards. It places further emphasis on it being a suggestion as well.

And when the justification looks like "Although perfectly balanced in 1v1 play, Kokusho's ability to scale to the number of players makes him overpowered in large multiplayer games," then everyone knows Kokusho is fine in 1v1 games. :)

Another common issue is the interaction between generals and alternative costs, such as Akroma, Angel of Fury, Ith, High Arcanist, Aluren...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 4:07 pm 

Legality of fetchlands with generals of any colo(u)r(s).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 5:07 pm 

I still consider myself wet behind the ears when it comes to EDH. So what is the Power "8". I see this term often.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 5:38 pm 

Lythand wrote:
I still consider myself wet behind the ears when it comes to EDH. So what is the Power "8". I see this term often.

The original Moxen, Black Lotus, Time Walk, and Ancestral Recall. (The Power Nine minus Timetwister, which isn't all that ridiculous.)

Wort, Boggart Auntie (Goblin shenanigans)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 6:06 pm 

Thanks

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-14 10:55 pm 

Maybe one considering Memnarch as a legal general? I'm not saying I support it but it's come up a couple of times on the rules discussion.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-15 6:57 am 

Cards dealing with static life-totals that should certainly be addressed in an FAQ:

Test of Endurance
Magister Sphinx
Sorin Markov (forthcoming)
Divinity of Pride
Blessed Wind (Kinda)
Transcendence (Kinda)
Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Test of Endurance

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next