Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 6:53 pm

Post subject: Re: June 1st Preview (2/8): Das Boots!
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 4:51 am 

i doubt through the floor. Top is due for a reprint greaves is only like $2US to begin with and Sol Ring is a big enough staple it shouldnt be affected by more than $1-2

Sol ring being on the list does open a gateway for some older stuff that could use a little resurgence imo.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 5:05 am 

Sol Ring in every deck? And here I thought we would be inundated with Thran Dynamo again. This fact alone makes it worthwhile to purchase any of these decks, if for no other reason to reward WotC for doing something that makes sense.

Lightning Greaves is a good add too as its an overpriced secondary market uncommon that is essential in most (all?) decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 6:28 am 

Too bad there's no new art.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 6:49 am 

Love the flavor text from the promo, but I'm glad they didn't use the lame art.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 7:12 am 

As much as I love the Greaves, I can't be too excited about this since I already have this card in almost every EDH deck I've built so far.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 7:24 am 

Top likely will not be in the decks due to the decent sized group that are frustrated by the slow play they can cause.

In my opinion they are going to stray from cards that people have any kind of multiplayer-attrition toward...then again, there are those who hate sol ring

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 8:53 am 

Really? They wasted a preview card on a reprint? Of an uncommon? That everyone on this board prolly has five of? Really? *Sigh* At least it's a good card for the decks though.

As for Sol Ring, YAY! I have 4, but don't really care if they go down in price, since I was never going to sell/trade them anyway. This way I can get the other 4 I want, and quit using proxies. :)

Oh... and WoTC has expressed how much they HATE top for slowing down games... I really don't think they'd put it in a deck that's designed for an already slow format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 9:03 am 

kaldare wrote:
Really? They wasted a preview card on a reprint? Of an uncommon? That everyone on this board prolly has five of? Really? *Sigh* At least it's a good card for the decks though.
It may be a reprint but it along with sol Ring confirms that these decks will be running staple cards, and not new cards+jank. O-Stone and Nev disk will likely make it into one or two of the decks, and top will probably be in a deck or two.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 9:05 am 

That gets me excited, hoping that's exactly what happens. I need a Nev's disk and can certainly use a top.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 10:06 am 

Awesome reprint! When's the next preview?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 10:40 am 

Id assume tomorrow since the product is only 16 days away and they have roughly 500 cards to spoil.

I understand the reason for not wanting to print top because it slows games a little. I can also understand that it NEEDS to be reprinted somewhere and most EDHs start with; top, skullclampm sol ring, strip mine. Also top doesnt slow it down that much and honestly EDH games go pretty quick with the right group.

Id expect to see some form of Strip Mine effect most likely tec edge. What are the odds crucible sees a place here? It is basically a staple as is Mind's Eye.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 11:07 am 

Nemopusu wrote:
I can also understand that it NEEDS to be reprinted somewhere and most EDHs start with; top, skullclampm sol ring, strip mine.
[...]
What are the odds crucible sees a place here? It is basically a staple as is Mind's Eye.

Not every deck has Top or Skullclamp. Arguably every deck should have Strip Mine or a Tectonic Edge of some sort. Seeing as how much flak Top got in Extended that it was *banned*, I'm not sure if it'll be reprinted in this product. If anything we'll see Crystal Ball show up in the Blue pre-cons. Skullclamp will not. It's a broken card that is probably as likely to be reprinted as Mana Drain will be. Quite honestly I think the biggest surprise we've got in this is Sol Ring.... included in each pre-con deck. I'm fairly sure there's a couple hundred fellas who just lost a rather substantial bet.

Crucible of Worlds? Maybe in the Numot deck but even that's unlikely. If they are looking for decks that will appeal to the majority of casual folks, I doubt sincerely that they'd purposefully include the dreaded "Strip Mine / Crucible of Worlds" combo or any potentially "mass LD" strategy. Also, Crucible is not a staple. It is a good card but I have seen just as many people if not more people exclude it as play with it.

Additionally, it was said the next spoiler is one card a day during next week. (Possibly two on Monday & Wednesday when Sheldon posts his article on SCG)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 2:37 pm 

Considering the precons won't be running 7+ fetchlands like any 2+ color commander deck, Top wouldn't even be GOOD in them. Not to mention WoTC's hatred of the card.

Strip Mine? Yeah, in a three color deck who's mana fixing is already going to be subpar. Doubt it.

Skullclamp isn't not really a staple either. You need to play alot of creatures, including a bunch of x/1 to really make it good, and not that many commander decks play such cards, preferring to focus on bigger stuff. Though unlike the other two, at least one of the decks will prolly fit the criteria to make clamp good, and might play it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 2:39 pm 

You mean the Saproling deck!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 3:43 pm 

FinalLogic wrote:
You mean the Saproling deck!
exactly.

Also skullclamp is good on ANY creature in EDH in any color. Its basically a staple in all non-blue decks. Also just because people choose not to play with a card doesnt make it a staple. A staple is a card people play with because its amazing in any deck. LD happens in EDH so naturally Crucible is great in any deck. Id say it deserves to be in all the decks except Numot to battle the deck.

Offline Profile