[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - June 3rd Preview (3/8): Alliance of Arms - Join Forces

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 9:13 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: June 3rd Preview (3/8): Alliance of Arms - Join Forces
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 1:36 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 1:42 pm 

Alliance of Arms has potential as a defensive card. If somebody's winning with giant ground pounders or an Eldrazi, giving everyone blockers is neat, especially since everyone except the one guy is incentivized to contribute.

It would be sweet to cast this when you have a .

If you have a lot of life (or a Soul Warden), plus Alliance of Arms turns every point of X into B per player. For example, 4W becomes twenty black mana in a five player game.

And the combo isn't just cute. It's an (that doesn't drain your allies if you're playing Star.)

Good Job!
W
Sorcery
Join Forces - Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of mana. Then each player high fives another player a number of times equal to the total amount of mana paid this way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 1:59 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 2:27 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 2:30 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 3:57 pm 

I once had a great Magosi combo In Big Box, but didn't realize it until after the game. Opponent had about 15 damage headed my way...

Suspended with 1 counter

I should have skipped a turn and taken two turns of damage, during upkeep stacked Delaying Shield and then Cloudskate, Cloudskate could bounce Delaying Sheild.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 5:31 pm 

...Or you could play it with no intention of breaking it (when did "cannot be abused" become synonymous with "unplayable"? I thought Commander was supposed to be free of the cutthroat impulse! And no, I don't see how the only way to defeat the vicious is to become more vicious. I can't trace the logic at all...Where is it written that the weak cannot defeat the strong?). Instead, you use this when a player several turns after you (e.g. you're player 1, they're player 4) has very few or creatures, AND you, player 2, and player 3 could assemble enough mana for 2 and 3 to cut down 4. (Remember the name of the ability. You're supposed to be joining forces AGAINST someone else, right?) Assuming 4 has 5 life and no indestructibles, and you have enough mana along with 2 and 3 to pull this off...

Step 1: Wrath of God (if only to make this example easy)
Step 2: Cast Alliance of Arms. If you only have two extra mana (two tokens each player), look for a way to convince 2 and/or 3 to supply three additional mana.
Step 3: 2 sends their tokens in to self-destruct against 4's tokens. (Ideally, 2 will have a creature they can cast, with or without haste, so THEY don't suddenly look supremely tempting for you and 3 to attack)
Step 4: 3 attacks 4 with their own tokens. Since 4 doesn't have anything left...

I will own that Death by Dragons could do better in this regard, but we need to start SOMEWHERE. And at least remember that between games, there's always the option of backroom deals (e.g. "I supply at least this much help when you next cast Alliance of Arms, if you do X, Y, and Z against player 3, and W against player 4"...). Granted, I'm mostly remembering from how things went with Pirates of the Cursed Seas...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 7:42 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 11:26 pm 

This card will have its uses I think, it is not totally bad.

In a Jor Kadeen or Agus Kos deck, you will most of the time have the pump effects to make your tokens overpower the other player's. And these decks really want to have a bunch of tokens.
And if you can give your tokens a pump of +0/+2 or more (Archangel of Strife? you choose Peace, each other chooses War...), you can kill all other players tokens with a effect, or or the like.

And there are many other cards already listed, like Soul Warden, Suture Priest or the like, that make these card bad for your opponents to supply to. But if no one jumps in cause of the Soul Warden or whatever, at the least, you get X 1/1 guys for WX.
Your opponents will get them too, sure, but in a deck that plays Alliance of Arms, you will have enough ways to support it somehow.

Other cards that come to my mind would be Vish Kal, , , and of course
(and I can more and more see DS be in the BWG Deck, now that we know Alliances of Arms. The deck will already have a token-themed Commander in Ghave (I know it is not confirmed til now, but what are the odds that he will not produce saprolings?) and DS is an expensive Commander staple).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-04 12:22 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-04 1:26 am 

Man I love this card. In my soldier deck it's awesome. With the Soul Sisters/Suture Priest its awesome. Followed with a Massacre Wurm it's awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-04 2:18 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-04 7:23 am 

I could definitely make use of this in my Darien deck...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-04 11:25 am 

Everybody who doesn't invest mana into this is a target for the 2-3 people who just did. This is called weeding out people who play counter magic. And if this does get countered, you ruined the possibility of having a nice card resolve. All about weeding out player who don't want to play nice.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-04 12:48 pm 

Though seeing this card combined with say... where players cannot even use mana-activated abilities. That would draw some really quick hate. I do consider it unlikely that you will see the above mentioned in any of those decks, sadly.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next