Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 7:26 pm

Post subject: Re: June 6th preview (4/8): Vow of Wildness
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 6:15 am 

Stealing creatures is everywhere in the online meta, so this will certainly help with that.

Good call on making Karona playable!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 6:24 am 

intreped wrote:
This card goes in every Karona, False God deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 6:38 am 

branewalker wrote:
I think it's better than Guard Duty with a drawback and a higher mana cost. It's nearly as good as Control Magic with an upside and a lower mana cost.

Disagree. If the player knows what's good for him, he's not going to attack with the creature unless he thinks it'll let him win faster than you (different decks benefit differently from having less opponents, or from having certain types of decks removed from the game). There's no Bloodshed Fever effect on this card, and expecting to get free damage out of it consistently just isn't realistic unless you're playing against bad players or always manage to save the aura until the perfect time.

It's good, but it's not the godsend "all your opponents kill each other" card you might think at first.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 7:13 am 

ITT: People not thinking in a multiplayer context. :facepalm:

I wouldn't pay 2G for either Guard Duty or a Giant Growth effect, but put them together and add "this creature can still attack other players" and this is a GREAT political card. You aren't going to play this in Azusa, which doesn't need it anyway, but you ARE going to play it in your Ezuri Elf Tribal to send that fatty somewhere else, and to take care of another problem of yours in the process. If your deck-- or your playstyle-- is low-profile enough that people aren't going to attack you anyway, this is a great way of making friends while neutralizing a threat at the same time. Also has nice synergy with Edric (I hope there are more "attack people other than me" cards in that deck... seems amusing). Alternately, as Sheldon says, you can put it on your own dude to give him partial protection from Mind Control effects while also buffing him. Seems fine.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 7:14 am 

Blargh, double post. :facepalm: :oops:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 9:02 am 

Nice card for politicking at the game table. Now, I don't have to rely on word play and subtle emotional manipulation to win my multiplayer games. At least, not completely.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 9:09 am 

Love this design. Creature kill for G. One of those cards that is so brilliant it is humbling.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 9:57 am 

technology wrote:
Awesome card. Slides right into a Uril deck as a decent Aura for him that doubles as a superb green removal spell.

Edit: I keep thinking of decks that I want to play this in. So far I'm up to: Uril, Karona, Rafiq, Edric the Spymaster as "actively good places for the card", and can see running it in any green deck. Would've been auto for Zur if it had the right color identity.

It's also good in Intet or any other Green/? combo that doesn't include Black or White for better removal. Basically, if you are running Lignify, there is no reason you shouldn't be considering this.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 10:55 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
It's also good in Intet or any other Green/? combo that doesn't include Black or White for better removal. Basically, if you are running Lignify, there is no reason you shouldn't be considering this.

It could often be better than spot WB removal because it eliminates 2 opponent cards: 1 threat + 1 removal spell.

Only drawback is it leaves a blocker and utility creatures like Savra.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 11:01 am 

Better for you if your creatures fly/shadow/unblockable over the guy you just gave Trample. Besides, he'll be turned sideways a lot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 11:13 am 

When it gets down to heads-up, follow up with Angel's Trumpet to finish him off quickly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 11:57 am 

ludd_gang wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

It could often be better than spot WB removal because it eliminates 2 opponent cards: 1 threat + 1 removal spell.

Only drawback is it leaves a blocker and utility creatures like Savra.

It's not a blocker. It's a beater in another direction.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 12:19 pm 

I realize there are ways that the enchanted creature will either decide not block or be unable to do so. My point is the drawback is pretty minimal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 2:11 pm 

ludd_gang wrote:
I realize there are ways that the enchanted creature will either decide not block or be unable to do so. My point is the drawback is pretty minimal.

Of course it is. You don't want them mad at you. This is a political card because it accomplishes what is essentially removal while still making your opponent feel his board state is the same or better.

It simultaneously creates BIGGER beats on your other opponents, while improving political relations with the player controlling the creature.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 4:16 pm 

TwentyCounterspells wrote:
Mooney wrote:
Joz wrote:
sigh....

not even remotely playable..

Sure, if you're terrible at Magic.

Drop this on someone else's Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and you'll be safer than with Maze of Ith or Tajuru Preserver.

It's also great for situations where an Elspeth, Knight-Errant or Ajani Vengeant is about to go off and you don't have any creatures on the field, but someone else does. Play this card. Fuck up Elspeth and protect yourself at the same time.

This is on par with Arrest type effects because it allows the creature you don't want attacking you to still beat in your opponents' faces, but it still allows abilities and blocking. Then again, if you really worried about those, you're just going to run removal. This card really does make someone's creature your political puppet. I like the flavor a lot.
Honestly... I am not one of those idiot super-spikes that thinks only in terms of power level, but Joz is right. I like it because its interesting design, but outside of that there isn't much to love.

Think about this next time someone powers out an early Scion of the Ur-Dragon, and on their next turn pays 2, dumping Nicol Bolas, basically ending your game. Or really any voltron general that you can cast at (i.e. Not Uril, or Zur, once he has vanishing and mana or shroud). It's a very decent card, and considering that there are voltron generals out there, it's absolutely worth consideration.

It's not so much that you don't want the Scion and Nicol Bolas thing to happen. You just don't want it to happen to you.

Offline Profile