Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 3:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: June 7th preview (5/8): Command Tower
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 9:36 pm 

That card is useless to moncolor and monobrown , lol.

rofl.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 9:37 pm 

I like that it is a common... they could have printed the entire decks as mythic rares and it would still be just as "common"...sigh

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 9:43 pm 

Wait, wait..

This is useless in mono-color and Karn (well, maybe not Karn, can it tap for colorless? If so, rad, Karn always wants more comes into play untapped lands) buuuut, it's about as good as a dual land everywhere else, outside of not being fetchable. A land that taps for whatever colors are needed - with basically no drawbacks whatsoever (aside from being non-basic, but whatever.)

Sign me up. This pretty much seals the deal that I'll be buying at least 2 commander precons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 9:45 pm 

Joz wrote:
That card is useless to moncolor and monobrown , lol.

rofl.

okay useless to monobrown as it can't tap for mana because colorless isn't a color.

But in monocolor there is the utility that it can't be touched by a recurring sundering titan, it doesn't trigger basic land type based hate (Conversion, Glaciers, Volcanic Eruption). alot of Mono-colored decks still run a few color producing non-basics for this reason. Depending on what you are wanting out of your mana base I see no fault in running one of these over a basic forest in omnath, it helps realms uncharted retain late-game value in that deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 9:51 pm 

Gravy wrote:
Wait, wait..

This is useless in mono-color and Karn (well, maybe not Karn, can it tap for colorless? If so, rad, Karn always wants more comes into play untapped lands) buuuut, it's about as good as a dual land everywhere else, outside of not being fetchable. A land that taps for whatever colors are needed - with basically no drawbacks whatsoever (aside from being non-basic, but whatever.)

Sign me up. This pretty much seals the deal that I'll be buying at least 2 commander precons.

It cannot tap for colorless, Command Tower reads colors in your commander's color identity, Karn technically doesn't have a color identity because colorless isn't a color.

in mono colored decks it's a non-basic color producing land, sometimes that relevant, and it's worth slotting for.

in 2 color decks I feel the importance of Color Producing Land is OG Dual, Rav Dual, Fetches, M11 Dual, Command Tower, Pain land, Scars Dual,

in 3 color decks I like this more than I like Rav duals

in 5 color decks this is what I'll be fetching with my first Map almost every time, it's always the correct mana at the correct time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 10:04 pm 

This is going in every deck I ever make. So hard.

I came.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 10:05 pm 

GIVE THE MAN WHO DESIGNED THIS CARD A PRRRRRRROMOTION!!

And then restrain me from my wallet because this will be the single most sought after card from the entire release and easily be a $5 common. Mark. My. Words.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 10:11 pm 

Glassthegrey wrote:
Gravy wrote:
Wait, wait..

It cannot tap for colorless, Command Tower reads colors in your commander's color identity, Karn technically doesn't have a color identity because colorless isn't a color.

in mono colored decks it's a non-basic color producing land, sometimes that relevant, and it's worth slotting for.

in 2 color decks I feel the importance of Color Producing Land is OG Dual, Rav Dual, Fetches, M11 Dual, Command Tower, Pain land, Scars Dual,

in 3 color decks I like this more than I like Rav duals

in 5 color decks this is what I'll be fetching with my first Map almost every time, it's always the correct mana at the correct time.

Poor Karn.

Eh, in mono-color all it really does is add to the 'how badly does ruination/blood moon/Back to Basics' screw me over count. I try to keep non-basics under 10 in mono, unless I need extra speed and am adding things like Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors to the mix, or I need to add things like Mikokoro (in Red) Kor Haven as my second maze of Ith in mono-white, etc. Sundering Titan doesn't hurt mono too bad most of the time - unless it's on a loop, then you're probably fucked anyway, because that player can recur a 7/10 at will, as many times as he/she wants. and god knows what else.

In dual color, it'll definitely be valuable. It's certainly several notches above the pain lands.. which suck, but I've got a near full-set of duals (rav and OG) to go around my decks, so that's definitely coloring my opinion on pain lands.

In 3+ color it's going to be a staple, something that's probably more valuable than dual lands, it's especially valuable for any wedge legend.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 10:18 pm 

As an aside, how does Karn avoid being completely wrecked by cards like Back to Basics? He can't run basic land.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 10:19 pm 

FinalLogic wrote:
As an aside, how does Karn avoid being completely wrecked by cards like Back to Basics? He can't run basic land.

He runs alot of mana rocks, and prays that his Spine of Ish Sah / O-Stone / NDisk / etc? doesn't get countered.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 10:24 pm 

This is going to be up there on the list of most expensive commons. One a deck? I don't think there's any way there'll be enough of these to meet demand.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 10:26 pm 

My five copies of this will be jumping around to different colored sleeves faster than your mom jumps in and out of bed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 10:27 pm 

FinalLogic wrote:

Karn runs a looooot of mana rocks. This said - it will get wrecked by Back to Basics most of the time, if it's unprepared. Same as playing dedicated five color in a way, you're giving up the safety of your mana-base to operate well, 'cept Karn really has no choice.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 11:44 pm 

Dante wrote:
This makes me a very, very happy wookie. :D

Me 2 :D I like it!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 12:24 am 

Dont worry, this is just one land. I doubt the decks will be this, Expedition Map and 38 basics. I'm confident we'll see some more manafix.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next