Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-25 8:06 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: June 7th preview (5/8): Command Tower
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 9:02 pm 

To the person who said that rarities don't matter in these sets: For some players they don't, but Pauper Commander is a surprisingly popular format. This card being a Common really helps out some decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 10:47 pm 

I have honestly never heard of pauper commander, mostly because it can ONLY be played on MODO because you have 10 commander candidates from Masters Edition III. 2 of each allied color combination. In paper you cannot play pauper commander because the Cards from Masters Edition III were Uncommons in their paper printings, not even Kamigawa with it's legends theme had legendary creatures at common.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-08 12:54 am 

Filth wrote:
The card is obviously good, but I'm probably not going to play it. I'm happy about every bit of effort I've put into building my decks, and specifically tailored auto-include cards would take a lot of the fun out of deckbuilding for me. Also, I'm still going to call them generals, not commanders, and I don't want to play a card that I feel like punching every time I draw it.

I with you on this. But i think i'll try and modify them into themed homes for whatever deck they go into(Isamaru's Doghouse, Norin's Hideout etc). Or if i fail utterly at it, start begging yawg to do it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-08 2:10 am 

Glassthegrey wrote:
I have honestly never heard of pauper commander, mostly because it can ONLY be played on MODO

Where, ironically, these cards are not expected to be available, ever. Hahahahmm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-08 5:43 am 

Glassthegrey wrote:
I have honestly never heard of pauper commander, mostly because it can ONLY be played on MODO because you have 10 commander candidates from Masters Edition III. 2 of each allied color combination. In paper you cannot play pauper commander because the Cards from Masters Edition III were Uncommons in their paper printings, not even Kamigawa with it's legends theme had legendary creatures at common.

They all have printings at common though, which makes them commons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-08 5:49 am 

FYI, apparently rare would mean the card is in 1 of the decks, uncommon in 3 and common in all of the decks...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-08 6:49 am 

feyd rautha wrote:
FYI, apparently rare would mean the card is in 1 of the decks, uncommon in 3 and common in all of the decks...

This is incorrect. Sol Ring and Lightning Greaves are uncommon and are in all five decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-08 7:17 am 

I kinda hate the wording on that card. It hasnt been since homelands that a card cares about what format you have played. and even then, the card that cared about format actually only sorta cared about type 2 because it killed all homelands cards. Those cards felt wierd and lame and so does the flavor of this one. It LITERALLY does nothing in formats other than commander and I dont like that.

That said, the card IS powerful...in commander...in decks with 2+ colors.

bad design kinda makes me sad, but its certaintly a powerful card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-08 10:41 am 

intelos wrote:
feyd rautha wrote:

This is incorrect. Sol Ring and Lightning Greaves are uncommon and are in all five decks.

this only applies to cards that are being printed in these decks for the first time. reprints keep their old rarity regardless of how many of the decks they are in.

this is according to Aaron Forsythe on Twitter.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-08 11:12 am 

yaeh another target for my non basic land hate price of proggress for the win

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-08 10:10 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I kinda hate the wording on that card. It hasnt been since homelands that a card cares about what format you have played. and even then, the card that cared about format actually only sorta cared about type 2 because it killed all homelands cards. Those cards felt wierd and lame and so does the flavor of this one. It LITERALLY does nothing in formats other than commander and I dont like that.

Ah, Apocalypse Chime.

Such a funny little card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-09 6:36 am 

Glassthegrey wrote:

I've never played it before, but I know some people allow the Commander to be any rarity to avoid that problem, and then every other card must be a common.

intelos wrote:
feyd rautha wrote:

That's what Mark Rosewater said on his tumblr account when asked about the rarities. I forgot about Sol Ring being uncommon. I don't know about Lightning Greaves; I keep reading people saying that it's in every deck, but I have found nothing that substantiates this. I hope it is.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-09 6:43 am 

Shoe wrote:

It's not really bad design at all. It's exactly what these decks needed (either that or CIT tri-lands for wedges like Alara's), and it is very flavorful: The tower that your commander sits in will only give you mana of the commander's color, which makes sense. The only way it could be more flavorful is to give you a bigger bonus if your commander was in the command zone (like it was in the tower), but that would hurt the fun of the format and slow things down.

As for it being annoying because it does nothing in other formats, I think you're being too serious about this. These are Commander precons. Wizards has specifically mentioned that the cards probably won't ever be played in other formats. Aaron Forsythe I believe got annoyed on Twitter and just came out and said these aren't Legacy reprints, so stop thinking they are. They must hear it a lot to be so annoyed about it. To expect these cards to fit in other formats when they're only made for Commander is a little much. Sure, some will - Join Forces works in any multiplayer, and especially in Emperor as the Emperor. So Command Tower isn't one of those, and it only works in Commmander...so what? That's what it was designed for, and it's not like it's a wasted pull in a Booster. You're buying a Commander precon and getting a Commander card, I don't see what's to not like about that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-09 8:11 am 

I don't have any issues with the card as-printed, but I just thought of some cool bonuses that could have been added.

Either make it indestructible, or give it "can't be the target of spells/abilities your opponents control".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-09 7:14 pm 

Superstrength79 wrote:
I don't have any issues with the card as-printed, but I just thought of some cool bonuses that could have been added.

Either make it indestructible, or give it "can't be the target of spells/abilities your opponents control".

Indestructible would be awesome. Too bad it didn't happen. Oh well.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next