Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Dec-17 8:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Tickle-Your-Fancy Plays
AgePosted: 2015-Sep-06 4:34 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Kusari Gama deals the damage so it would not have deathtouch attached to it... Unless 3 damage was actually enough to wipe his field.

Good catch. For it to work in a Godo deck that way, you would need to let the ability trigger, then target Kusari-Gama with Karn, Silver Golem, then use Brass Squire or Magnetic Theft to switch a deathtouch equipment over to K-G before the ability resolves.

Much easier shenanigans with K-G can be obtained simply by equipping to Brigid or Oros, the Avenger.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-06 6:14 am 

intreped wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
Kusari Gama deals the damage so it would not have deathtouch attached to it... Unless 3 damage was actually enough to wipe his field.

Good catch. For it to work in a Godo deck that way, you would need to let the ability trigger, then target Kusari-Gama with Karn, Silver Golem, then use Brass Squire or Magnetic Theft to switch a deathtouch equipment over to K-G before the ability resolves.

Much easier shenanigans with K-G can be obtained simply by equipping to Brigid or Oros, the Avenger.

Or with Sydri.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-11 2:33 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Kusari Gama deals the damage so it would not have deathtouch attached to it...

I had to deal with a guy once that could not get this concept through his thick skull. OMFG that was frustrating.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-19 9:48 pm 

This...
Image + Image
would've left me happy enough, even if I were to lose the game.

But then, this also happened:

Image + Image + Image

I burned everyone at the table to death, and managed to win the game at 1 life only (Furnace backfired sometimes). One of the most epic wins I ever experienced in Commander :mrgreen:

Name: Night of the Ninja
General: Vela the Night-Clad
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Boros Legion
General: Aurelia, the Warleader
Archetype: Aggro

Name: Dragon Fire
General: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-11 1:22 am 

I was playing Karlov against my friend's Emmara Tandris deck a couple weeks ago. Karl had 20 counters on him, largely from Soul Warden and Suture Priest, with Trailblazer's Boots in play but unattached due to Karl's being a tree (Song of the Dryads). Emmara had Parallel Lives out, and cast Storm Herd for 76 Pegasi. He asked me if I wanted to continue, thinking (correctly) that I couldn't answer that many Pegasi.

I looked at the Disenchant in my hand, four mana available, and said yes, planning to Disenchant the song, equip the boots, and hit for 22 commander. My friend said "Really?", then noticed something that had escaped both of our attentions. He was dead, after taking 76 from Suture Priest. Whoops.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-24 10:18 am 

Was playing the other night with my friends who had never played EDH before. I let them each choose one of my five decks to play with and gave them a quick rundown of how to play their chosen deck, win-cons, etc. I was on Angus Mackenzie enchantress, friend 1 was playing Omnath, Locus of Rage and friend 2 was playing Alesha, Who Smiles at Death goblins.

We're deep into the game, me with a butt ton of pillowfort enchantments out, the Alesha player with an active Krenko and Goblin Warchief, and the Omnath player with an active angry Omnath, about 8 lands and Lotus Cobra. We've kind of stalemated, the Omnath player has Constant Mists and has been stalling the Alesha player while I durdle. Then the Omnath player drops Perilous Forays.

We've all had a couple of beers and we're trying to figure out how to close the game when the Omnath player sacs an elemental to Perilous Forays and proceeds to bolt us out of the game with a forays/cobra/Omnath loop. I had no idea that such a thing was possible and I built the deck. I was excited about the combo and my friend demanded I give him the decklist so he could make it his first EDH deck.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Last edited by kirkusjones on 2015-Dec-24 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-24 2:46 pm 

Interaction noted. Another reason to pick up a forays I guess.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-11 5:12 pm 

Tonight, I pulled this out of my Wizard tribal (Nin, no attack; themed as creatures and effects that tap to do damage 'n' stuff):

It's late game (turn 14-ish) and I start the turn with my Information dealer. I'm on the ropes with all the fatties out, lo and behold, in the top 8 I have the Thousand-year Elixir I've been waiting for to go with the Ovinomancer that I've been holding back in hand. But wait, there's more. There's also a lovely Nykthos to be had. Note: already in play is Flameshadow Conjuring, which has been so much better than I expected when I decided to try it (original idea was to copy weenies, use the token's tap ability then smack it with Nin for the draw).

Turn proceeds thusly:
Tap the Quicksilver dagger wielding Fallowsage to draw my top two (hit player three, not that it matters).
Hit myself with a Prodigal Sorcerer wielding the Sigil of Sleep to bounce Stonybrook Banneret to my hand and I recast it with Flameshadow token. Wizards now -2 until EOT.
Drop Nykthos and tap for 15 U (no successfully cast board wipes for a while and they'd been ignoring my weenies with removal for bigger threats, like my Arcanis and Teferi,).
Ral Zarek untaps my Nykthos, which then taps for 9 R (can't recall what he tapped... something I couldn't kill later).
Pay the three U for Thousand-year Elixir.
Finite Loop:
U for Ovinomancer, his trigger on bottom, Flameshadow trigger on top
R for Flameshadow trigger
Tap and "bounce" token - Make 1 sheep
Ignore "return three land" trigger
Tap and bounce Ovinomancer - Make another sheep
Ignore "return three land" trigger
/loop
Repeat 8 more times - 18 total sheep for all my friends (and 18 less threats for me)

I have U left in the mana pool and some more land, but don't do too much before passing turn (Used Elixir to untap the Fallowsage IIRC). I prefer to use my activated abilities politically with this deck, when possible, cause I always have EOT before untap to use anything that lingered that long)

I didn't win, but I stalled quite well and the play was cool so I was happy (1 player had a Colossus of Akros that I couldn't ovinize that he was able to make it monstrous; another recovered with Privileged Position two turns later so I couldn't keep giving him sheep). My "durdle" deck became PE#1.

Ovinomancer has been a pet card for me since I got one at the pre-release, but this was one of the more fun iterations of him in a long time.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-11 7:21 pm 

That's a really cool story!
Ovinomancer will never leave my Intet deck, I even have the Unglued Sheep tokens ready for him. :)
I hope he continues to do good work for you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-02 11:45 am 

It is 2016, but last week I had the whole table marvel at my simultaneous control of Icy Manipulator and Royal Assassin.

#OldFogey #Dominaria #ShivanDragonAintGotShitOnMe

An EDH deck for each Orzhov-colored commander with no card overlap (save basic land).
Selenia, Dark Angel
Tesya, Orzhov Scion
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter
Athreos, God of Passage
Triad of Fates
Obzedat, Ghost Council
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts

Daxos the Returned
Karlov of the Ghost Council
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
Kambal, Consul of Allocation

Ravos, Soultender
Tymna the Weaver

Also,Saskia the Unyielding

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-18 11:44 am 

I giggled a bit the other night. My buddy finally pulled llusions of Grandeur and donated it to me with Zedruu. I didn't pay the upkeep and then cast Invincible Hymn. I think it as the first time in, what 10 years (?) that I'd cast it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9