Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-12 10:07 pm

Post subject: I love my riku deck
AgePosted: 2013-Apr-02 6:46 pm 

I was just playing a magic came online and I got my riku out on turn 4.

For a turn or two afterwards I payed life to ramp via skyshroud ranger by paying four life for the effect on my turn 2 sylvan library

The omnath deck on his turn came to attack me for 10 with a predator ooze so my first riku trick was to double beast within one on his attacking general and the other on my chump utility creature.

The next turn I pay 4 life for a temple of the false god and see a rampaging baloths... Hmmm I have exactly enough to hit 6 mana for the X on my Genesis wave. I cast it and resolve an uncopied Genesis wave wave for 6, it hits the following cards:

Rampaging baloths, Eternal witness Sakura-tribe elder, and consecrated sphinx only losing a Frantic search and a recurring insight. No big, eternal witness recurs genesis wave ofcourse. End of last opponent's turn sacrifice sakura. (drew four lands including an evolving wilds from sphinx).

Now I cast genesis wave for 5, with mana to copy via riku.

Results:

First wave: Pretty lackluster but Parallel lives lost my mana reflection by 1, but got a spike weaver and an island to boot.

Next wave didn't disappoint:

Mountain, forest, reliquary tower Wickerbough elder (which was copied by riku) and thran dynamo Plenty of mana to copy and still have some reserved for fog effect by Spike weaver.

Played Warstorm surge next turn, and everyone scooped.

Had a body double in hand and an opponent had a slyvan primordial that I was itching to copy lol Keep in mind this is a 4 player game.

God I love you riku.

I payed 12 life via sylvan library in total, and took 7 from omnath on an earlier turn i couldn't block, but its that library won me the game with early ramp.. Thanks Skyshroud ranger you da the man.

<3

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I love my riku deck
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 4:43 am 

Let me join you in your Riku celebration, brother or sister!

My Riku is almost creatureless and most of the time, it goes like this:
Step 1: Ramp
Step 2: Cast Riku
Step 3: Play tricks/Draw/Mass bounce/Mass kill as needed. When the game state allows, Fork-ramp
Step 4: Through any combination of mucho lands and/or Early Harvest effects cast deadly Comet Storm or Epic Experiment that usually results in a deadly Comet Storm.

The moral of the story is, when your double Epic Experiment is big enough, the first one is bound to flip a Fork somewhere along the way :twisted:

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 9:48 am 

A couple things, just wanna make sure you're doing this right.

1) If you flip up a Comet Storm from an Epic Experiment, the only mana you can put into the spell is any additional costs -- the multikicker. So all you will be doing is targetting creatures/players, as X will be 0.

2) If you have two Epic Experiments on the stack, when the first one resolves, if you get a Fork, but nothing you want to fork (and are hoping to get something when the second Epic Experiment resolves), then that won't work for a couple reasons. First, when you put the Fork on the stack, you need to select a target for it at that time. Secondly, all the spells revealed & cast by the first Epic Experiment (to resolve) will be on the stack and will resolve before the second Epic Experiment (the original) resolves and you get to see the other spells.

... just your description sounds like you are running afoul of these rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 10:40 am 

I think you just copy the second (unresolved) epic experiment with the fork from the first one. That's pretty much scoop-inducing.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 12:08 pm 

Fair, I hadn't thought of that (and still not quite how I read it) - but you still can't win off of a Comet Storm from the experiment.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 1:46 pm 

Carthain wrote:
A couple things, just wanna make sure you're doing this right.

1) If you flip up a Comet Storm from an Epic Experiment, the only mana you can put into the spell is any additional costs -- the multikicker. So all you will be doing is targetting creatures/players, as X will be 0.

2) If you have two Epic Experiments on the stack, when the first one resolves, if you get a Fork, but nothing you want to fork (and are hoping to get something when the second Epic Experiment resolves), then that won't work for a couple reasons. First, when you put the Fork on the stack, you need to select a target for it at that time. Secondly, all the spells revealed & cast by the first Epic Experiment (to resolve) will be on the stack and will resolve before the second Epic Experiment (the original) resolves and you get to see the other spells.

... just your description sounds like you are running afoul of these rules.

1) You just cast it for 0, then reuse it with Regrowth, Praetor's Counsel or Past in Flames and kill everyone with it.

2) I meant it like this: Cast EE, copy with Riku, the copy resolves, a Fork from among those cards copies the original EE and so on, until 1) happens. Works quite consistently.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 3:43 pm 

Fair enough - just didn't sound like that from your original post. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 5:48 pm 

Well it might not be Riku, but I had an insane game with my Sliver Overlord deck the other day.

T1: Land into Sol Ring into a Signet.
T2: Land into a Cultivate and Heart Sliver.
T3: Land into my Sliver Overlord, swing with haste at open opponent.
T4: Land into Nicol Bolas Planeswalker, steal opponents commander Jelava, swing at same opponent.
T5: Steal opponents commander Rakdos, cast Hivestone Attack with Overlord, Jelava, and Rakdos Kill opponent 1 with 21 Overlord damage and cast Fury of the Horde via Jelava. Drop hand full of Slivers for next to free, swing at remaining opponent for lethal.

One in a million chance probably, but damn it was sweet!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 2:02 am 

RoarMaster wrote:
Well it might not be Riku, but I had an insane game with my Sliver Overlord deck the other day.

T1: Land into Sol Ring into a Signet.
T2: Land into a Cultivate and Heart Sliver.
T3: Land into my Sliver Overlord, swing with haste at open opponent.
T4: Land into Nicol Bolas Planeswalker, steal opponents commander Jelava, swing at same opponent.
T5: Steal opponents commander Rakdos, cast Hivestone Attack with Overlord, Jelava, and Rakdos Kill opponent 1 with 21 Overlord damage and cast Fury of the Horde via Jelava. Drop hand full of Slivers for next to free, swing at remaining opponent for lethal.

One in a million chance probably, but damn it was sweet!

Crazy thing about slivers is that that is quite common, I built a 5 colour Sliver Overlord EDH deck and it didn't lose. So i stopped playing it as it would have got me hung IRL lol. Some decks are too good for casual EDH, Slivers, Uril etc IMO. They are fun to play and see a time or two but after that...

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile