Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-21 6:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tickle-Your-Fancy Plays
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-09 9:33 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Quote:
603.6c Leaves-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent moves from the battlefield to another zone, or when a phased-in permanent leaves the game because its owner leaves the game. These are written as, but aren’t limited to, “When [this object] leaves the battlefield, . . .” or “Whenever [something] is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, . . . .” An ability that attempts to do something to the card that left the battlefield checks for it only in the first zone that it went to. An ability that triggers when a card is put into a certain zone “from anywhere” is never treated as a leaves-the-battlefield ability, even if an object is put into that zone from the battlefield.

So... I'm right on this one?

Ban Ki Moon's rule is more in reference to LTB triggers controlled by others that happen when something leaves.

800.4d If an object that would be owned by a player who has left the game would be created in any zone, it isn’t created. If a triggered ability that would be controlled by a player who has left the game would be put onto the stack, it isn’t put on the stack.

It TRIES to trigger but then realizes that there is no one to control the ability and it doesn't even reach the stack.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-09 10:09 pm 

All these gatdam rules! Now I'm just more confused...

To be honest, neither the guy I stole it from, the guy who had the Caged Sun, or I would have been able to stop the rest of the table or the guy who wound up winning. It would be nice to get a definitive on this one though, because it comes up a surprising amount.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-09 11:32 pm 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
All these gatdam rules! Now I'm just more confused...

To be honest, neither the guy I stole it from, the guy who had the Caged Sun, or I would have been able to stop the rest of the table or the guy who wound up winning. It would be nice to get a definitive on this one though, because it comes up a surprising amount.

Sorry, in reading your original post again I see the confusion... My bad. I forgot that they actually still were considered as "leaving play" but wasn't really addressing the specific situation as much as O-Ring scoop/kill scenarios in general since people don't tend to switch control of those often...

You control the angel so you control the trigger when it leaves play which means it still goes on the stack and the exiled permanents are still returned.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-10 7:42 am 

Epsilon wrote:
You control the angel so you control the trigger when it leaves play which means it still goes on the stack and the exiled permanents are still returned.

Exactly what I thought. Thank you.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-10 11:39 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Epsilon wrote:

Exactly what I thought. Thank you.

Makes sense. Thanks Sid and Eps.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-08 6:32 am 

Playing my Phelddagrif deck on Sunday, it was me, a friend playing Prime Speaker, and another player with a UW general. My friend playing Prime speaker played a Consecrated Sphinx. On his next turn he copied it with Phyrexian Metamorph and copied again with some UG crard and drew about 20ish cards. I noticed his library was low so and he was tapped out so on my turn I played Windfall to eliminate him.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-09 9:04 am 

Hipster Mike wrote:
Playing my Phelddagrif deck on Sunday, it was me, a friend playing Prime Speaker, and another player with a UW general. My friend playing Prime speaker played a Consecrated Sphinx. On his next turn he copied it with Phyrexian Metamorph and copied again with some UG crard and drew about 20ish cards. I noticed his library was low so and he was tapped out so on my turn I played Windfall to eliminate him.

Nice use of windfall to punish the greedy! :twisted:

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-09 12:00 pm 

maiden77 wrote:
Hipster Mike wrote:

I can't think of, off the top of my head, a blue card that has resulted in the demise of my opponents more often than that one. On this topic as well...

The other night I was watching a game and it was down to three players out of 5, some of the usual Esper Mindslaver crap you all know about, and this guy playing Melek, Izzet Paragon. The other guy was playing GAAIV and GAAIV was apparently in his deck somewhere (you know...were he belongs).

So, Melek is in play with a land on top of his library. Esper dude goes infinite with the Mindslaver and has cast a ton of shit to do so. That's when I noticed the Melek player counting and was wondering exactly what his plan was with his two cards in hand.

Esper goes to pass his turn as GAAIV groans. Melek then EoT's a Brainstorm, places a Quicken on top, casts it with Melek, and after drawing two cards, the top card ends up being this glorious Grapeshot which he then casts with Melek again, hitting each player with easily enough.

Personally, I thought it was beautiful to watch.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-09 9:02 pm 

Ukkmaster wrote:
maiden77 wrote:
Hipster Mike wrote:

I can't think of, off the top of my head, a blue card that has resulted in the demise of my opponents more often than that one. On this topic as well...

The other night I was watching a game and it was down to three players out of 5, some of the usual Esper Mindslaver crap you all know about, and this guy playing Melek, Izzet Paragon. The other guy was playing GAAIV and GAAIV was apparently in his deck somewhere (you know...were he belongs).

So, Melek is in play with a land on top of his library. Esper dude goes infinite with the Mindslaver and has cast a ton of shit to do so. That's when I noticed the Melek player counting and was wondering exactly what his plan was with his two cards in hand.

Esper goes to pass his turn as GAAIV groans. Melek then EoT's a Brainstorm, places a Quicken on top, casts it with Melek, and after drawing two cards, the top card ends up being this glorious Grapeshot which he then casts with Melek again, hitting each player with easily enough.

Personally, I thought it was beautiful to watch.

That is fantastic. I want to High-five mr. Melek player.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-29 10:28 pm 

I'm playing my Kresh-Fu/Fight Club/Gladitorial Pit Fight deck on MTGO, guy RoR kicks my Gruul Ragebeast... I see 25 fight triggers, it was epic.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 8:21 pm 

Tim Proctor wrote:
I'm playing my Kresh-Fu/Fight Club/Gladitorial Pit Fight deck on MTGO, guy RoR kicks my Gruul Ragebeast... I see 25 fight triggers, it was epic.

I hadn't even thought of Ragebeast as a RoR target, that is awesome... I am going to go scream at the local Riku player until he begins running Ragebeast.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-01 6:31 am 

It was late in a game where I was playing Borborygmos Enraged. I have Creeping Renaissance in hand, but there have been things like Bojuka Bog, Relic of Progenitus, etc. previously so I only have 1 or 2 lands in my graveyard and just a couple in my hand.

The Mirko Vosk player drops Mind Crank. I untap, cast Overabundance and mana barbs myself for 9 while generating plenty of mana to cast and flash back the Renaissance. I didn't mill enough lands to kill everyone, but I do have enough to mill out the ones I can't kill thanks to Mind Crank.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-01 7:05 am 

JJackson wrote:
It was late in a game where I was playing Borborygmos Enraged. I have Creeping Renaissance in hand, but there have been things like Bojuka Bog, Relic of Progenitus, etc. previously so I only have 1 or 2 lands in my graveyard and just a couple in my hand.

The Mirko Vosk player drops Mind Crank. I untap, cast Overabundance and mana barbs myself for 9 while generating plenty of mana to cast and flash back the Renaissance. I didn't mill enough lands to kill everyone, but I do have enough to mill out the ones I can't kill thanks to Mind Crank.

Mana Barbs + Mindcrank + Overabundance

Seems like good secret tech, I think I'll blog that later. Shame the Mindcrank doesn't work on yourself to combo with Reniassance...but I think I can make something else work too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-01 7:55 am 

I was just referring to the Manabarbs half of Overabundance (which I affectionately call Mana Blare), but putting regular manabarbs to work with Mind Crank seems saucy. Get some Mesmeric Orb action in there, too. Four parts molten bronze...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-01 7:58 am 

JJackson wrote:
I was just referring to the Manabarbs half of Overabundance (which I affectionately call Mana Blare), but putting regular manabarbs to work with Mind Crank seems saucy. Get some Mesmeric Orb action in there, too. Four parts molten bronze...

Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to build a janky-combo/synergy Bobo deck, half-throw lands at your face, half group slug.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next