Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-23 11:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tickle-Your-Fancy Plays
AgePosted: 2014-May-01 7:59 am 

PredatoryAmoeba wrote:
Tim Proctor wrote:
I'm playing my Kresh-Fu/Fight Club/Gladitorial Pit Fight deck on MTGO, guy RoR kicks my Gruul Ragebeast... I see 25 fight triggers, it was epic.

I hadn't even thought of Ragebeast as a RoR target, that is awesome... I am going to go scream at the local Riku player until he begins running Ragebeast.

Gotta be careful with those triggers though, since the damage would pile up on the ragebeasts pretty fast. Best bet would be to target all of each beast's triggers on the same creature (you can do this since all the triggers are generated separately), so if each of your opponents has a 3/3, each beast targets one of those 3/3's 5 times. That way you get to keep the beasts.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-02 7:12 am 

I had a really mean combo Animar deck when he first came out, and I did this in the last game I played with it.
Lots of counters on Animar, people getting desperate but I had run out of cards to cast.
On my turn, I draw Weird Harvest, and cast it for a bunch.
Everyone thinks I'm insane as they cackle gleefully and pull all their best stuff.

I dump the creatures I got into play and then Windfall

Not too many happy faces that day... :twisted:

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-23 10:03 am 

So Karametrais deceptively powerful as a commander...

I'm playing Thraximunder Zombie tribal and I have turn 3 Cemetery Reaper turn 4 Undead Alchemist, turn 5 Endless Ranks of the Dead. I've been ahead the entire game, and only just recently lost my undead hoard of tokens and my enchantment. Thraximunder is on the table now and is sitting at 8/8. Most of my opponent's library is either in the graveyard or exiled and turned into zombies; she's down to 28 cards in her library, Nylea and her bow, Azusa, and Sylvan Caryatid. I'm feeling pretty confident of my board position here when it happens.

She draws for her turn and slams down her eighth mana source. She taps out and play Praetor's Counsel. So all the cards I've milled into her 'yard have come back to bite me. She effectively drew most of her library. She plays two lands, plays Sol Ring, Beast Within on Thrax and says go. Well, now I'm in trouble. I draw, play my eighth land and say go.

She untaps and plays Rampaging Baloths and Collective Blessing, followed by three lands and makes three 7/7's. Now I've gone from shaky to very scared. I draw, play my land, play Thrax and say go. I know she has Genesis Wave in her hand because it fell into her 'yard earlier. Sure enough, she untaps, plays three lands, makes three 7/7's and then cast G-wave for full value. She had been using the Bow to save creatures from my Alchemist, so wee saw all new cards... including Akroma's Memorial.

Let me tell you, it is quite the sight to see a small army of 7/7 flying, hasty, trampling, vigilant, first-striking, protection-from-your-deck beasts flying at your face...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-25 6:17 am 

brightmunkey wrote:
So Karametra is deceptively powerful as a commander...

... I don't get how that follows from what you said. I couldn't see anything in those plays that any other GW commander couldn't do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-29 10:37 am 

Carthain wrote:
brightmunkey wrote:
So Karametra is deceptively powerful as a commander...

... I don't get how that follows from what you said. I couldn't see anything in those plays that any other GW commander couldn't do.
The part I have issue with is the use of "deceptively". IMO, her power is quite blatant. Glaringly obvious, even. I'm guessing munkey was just writing off GW overall on the strength (or lack thereof) of previous GW turds like Emmara Tandris or Tolsimir Wolfblood?

Either way, that does sound like quite the epic comback for the GW deck, but Carthain is not wrong - that's what Praetors Council and G-Wave tend to do. They just flat out invalidate all of the game that has happened up to that point and from the moment they're cast, it's just a whole new game where everything prior simply doesn't matter anymore.

And yes, I'm running both in my own Karametra deck, because, well, what else am I going to do with all that mana? In my defense I DID leave Primal Surge on the cutting room floor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-01 9:38 am 

Gwafa Hazid with a Notion Thief in play was a neat thing I managed to do when borrowing a friend's deck. He says he never even thought of it before.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-01 10:23 am 

PredatoryAmoeba wrote:
Gwafa Hazid with a Notion Thief in play was a neat thing I managed to do when borrowing a friend's deck. He says he never even thought of it before.

Now i kinda want to build Esper Rogue deck :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-02 7:12 am 

A play a few of us still chuckle about from a couple years ago.

Hanna, Ship's Navigator to my left, Mayael the Anima to my right. Me and the person across are irrelevant.

Everyone's off to a slow start. Turn 3, Hanna player isn't really sure what to do so decide's to feel like he's doing something and attacks Mayael for 1 damage.

Condemn.

He never thinks it's funny, we all think it's hilarious.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-04 10:59 pm 

brightmunkey wrote:
So all the cards I've milled into her 'yard have come back to bite me. She effectively drew most of her library.

"...aaaand that's when I threw Undead Alchemist out of my deck and ritually burned it in a midnight campfire like the piece of suicidal crap it is." :D

My story:
I was playing my Riku in a star match. My opponents were Drana Vampire tribal and some B/x deck. TL,DR: Having managed to make loads of mana through Early Harvest, with Riku on table, I cast double Bribery, targeting different opponent with each one. I pulled Necropolis Regent and Gray Merchant of Asphodel. One kicked RoR later, there were no opponents...

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-12 9:16 am 

Vorel of the Hull Clade decided to cast Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and going off immediately by doubling it's counters with Gilder Bairn. Before the game becomes even more dangerous, I go all out against it. Fortunately he fails at drawing dangerous stuff, so I can bring his life total very low. Then he drew Pongify... Fortunately I had Invisible Stalker equipped with Quietus Spike, and later drew True-Name Nemesis, so I was able to survive the Pongify assault and came very close to kill him. He then drew Bow of Nylea and used its ability to survive just a couple more turns. He then tried to Wash Out my creatures, but Spell Crumble couldn't care less about Tamiyo's Emblem.

Then he drew Beast Within to finally destroy Quietus Spike, but it was already too late. He was at 1 life and I had 4 damage on the board, while the Bow could only win him three life. But then that smart-ass figured he could just cast Beast Within on it's own Bow! In other words, he could use the Bow's ability, destroy it, cast it again, then use it's ability again. Now he was gaining 6 or more life a turn. After going through my deck, I realized I had no answers left to try and stop him, so I eventually conceded.

Yes, you heard it, folks. Bow of Nylea wins games. And it does it with the ability you would least expect.

Name: Night of the Ninja
General: Vela the Night-Clad
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Boros Legion
General: Aurelia, the Warleader
Archetype: Aggro

Name: Dragon Fire
General: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-12 11:03 pm 

tamiyo emblem is off the chain man. I played Segrus and Antis on here a couple nights a go, i managed to play and ultimate tamiyo and ajani steadfast in the same turn and make a come back at 5 life and win!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-23 7:01 am 

I was testing my newborn Kurkesh deck against maiden77, who was playing his Chromanticore bestow/enchantress.
My last turn started with me going to 60 red mana and it went downhill for my opponent from there. With Kurkesh on board, I was able to draw mucho cards from Tower of Fortunes, then go on to get into an infinite loop including Doubling Cube, Clock of Omens, Erratic Portal and Triskelion.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-25 2:05 pm 

I ended up in a 1v1 playing Braids, Conjurer Adept, against a friend's Maelstrom Wanderer. The game has been going on for a decent chunk. I've stalled on lands so my Vedalken Shackles is only grabbing smallish creatures, but I have Caged Sun so I have a decent amount of mana. His MW is stuck facedown on the battlefield thanks to Ixidron, and had hit an empty board Prime Speaker Zegana (long dead) and some other piece of non-action.

I've stolen his Master Biomancer with Vedalken Shackles, but he's clocking me with a 4/4 Crackleburr that keeps sneaking through a Rouge's Passage.

I cast Quicksilver Gargantuan, copying Master Biomancer (3 counters for 11/11). Sakashima the Quicksilver Biomancer comes down as a 22/22. Braids hits the board as a 39/39. I pass the turn, knowing it is the last turn before I have to give his Biomancer back so that I can start Shackling anybody who he tries to Rouge's Passage. He swings with Crackleburr, putting me to 5.

Put up or shutup time, basically. Untap the Shackles and give back Biomancer. Nothing useful in off of Braids, but my draw step gives me Body Double. I don't even both with math before slamming it and chosing Prime Speaker Zegana. She ends up being 74/74, so we count cards in play/hand before seeing whether I've just done a bad, bad thing. Turns out there are 24+Braids, so I draw all but 1 card. Akroma's Memorial isn't the last card in the deck, so I'm able to reduce my opponent to negative triple digits.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-08 10:40 am 

I'm piloting Squee, Goblin Nabob in a 4-player FFA against Sydri, Galvanic Genius, Krenko, Mob Boss, and Azusa, Lost But Seeking. I am out of lands, so I cast Goblin Lore into two lands, and my random discards include Squee and Shattered Perception. Card advantage!

Then later today, I cast Gamble, and my random discard is Squee. Awww yeahhh

I'm a man of simple tastes. :)

W/U/B/R/G Child of Alara -- "Pauper" Dreamcrusher

Last edited by d0su on 2014-Sep-10 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-08 8:39 pm 

d0su wrote:
I'm piloting Squee, Gobling Nabob in a 4-player FFA against Sydri, Galvanic Genius, Krenko, Mob Boss, and Azusa, Lost But Seeking. I am out lands, so I cast Goblin Lore into two lands, and my random discards include Squee and Shattered Perception. Card advantage!

Today, I cast Gamble, and my random discard is Squee. Awww yeahhh

I'm a man of simple tastes. :)

Took me a couple of seconds to realise that Squee was actually your general. I was searching around to see what you were running him in until, d'oh!, it hit me: He's a legend. Sweet. What's your theme?

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next