Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Feb-21 7:10 pm

Post subject: Tournament structure questions/feedback
AgePosted: 2014-Nov-18 8:34 am 

Pleading to the community for Balancing help in a tournament structure. The base concept is having a competitive seeded 1v1 tournament. However, my LGS knows that for the tournament, people will play combo decks and hyper control to win through. As balancing is a huge concern to make the tournament a repeatable event... how can I effective balance and limit certain DB moves?

2 Examples I have come across are:
1. Zur, the Enchanter cannot be played as a General. (Which also prevents me from playing mine)
2. No more than 2 extra turns per player during a game. (Lighthouse Chronologist would not have any effect after the 2nd extra turn in that game, nor Temporal Master, etc. if 2 extra turns have already been played by that player.

What are some suggestions to prevent using the alarmingly unbalanced decks?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tournament structure questions/feedback
AgePosted: 2014-Nov-18 9:49 am 

Reduce the prize support. If less is on the line then fewer cutthroat players are interested and less incentive to go cutthroat. If the prize support is fun stuff like altered Storm Crows people won't be as eager to crush the competition. On the other hand, you can make it less tied to "Victor takes all." There are a lot of similar posts on these forums.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-18 10:00 am 

As for the prize pool, it's only store credit. Each of the 16 players puts in 20 bucks.

1st: 30% @ $96.00
2nd: 20% @ $64.00
3rd & 4th: 12.5% @ $40.00
5th-8th: 6.25% @ $20.00

Really there is no reason to get nuts competitive over it. I'd just rather not consider asking people what deck they want to play make payouts before the tournament is even played. Even in standard there are only a few decks that will be played but they are equally competitive to make it that far. With this format already broken as can be, there's no interest for the younger or less financially secure players to feel they are just wasting their money away.

There will be no attendance for silly prizes like altered cards... except that ONE guy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-18 10:31 am 

As soon as money/prizes are on the line, someone becomes "that guy"...it's too profitable not to.

It more or less ruins the spirit of EDH.

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-18 1:02 pm 

yeah for $96 I would bring the most cutthroat deck... period.

If it is based on style points or something other than just last man standing than you have a hope for fun, but otherwise expect turn 3-4 combo wins from whomever walks away with 1st place.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-18 2:48 pm 

http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17298&hilit=tournament has some good ideas...

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/29531_Commander-FNM.html also has some great ideas from Sheldon

Just food for thought.

Sorry for double post.

Shabbaman wrote:

Offline Profile