Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 5:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cool Plays Thread
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 2:23 am 

zimagic wrote:
Did you have flash somewhere? Surely when Grimgrin played Evacuation it was in response to you announcing your end of phase, you wouldn't have had time to re-cast everything without flash. Did I miss something?

Announcing end of phase doesn't matter because he would get priority back after Evacuation resolved. Normally people play things in the beginning of combat step or declare attackers step to avoid this situation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 3:25 am 

JJackson wrote:
zimagic wrote:
Did you have flash somewhere? Surely when Grimgrin played Evacuation it was in response to you announcing your end of phase, you wouldn't have had time to re-cast everything without flash. Did I miss something?

Announcing end of phase doesn't matter because he would get priority back after Evacuation resolved. Normally people play things in the beginning of combat step or declare attackers step to avoid this situation.

Announcing end of phase means he wouldn't be able to play sorcery speed spells until his second main phase. Opponent's don't get priority before you have finished declaring attackers unless something triggers at the beginning of the combat phase to create a stack that can be responded to. As this situation specifically mentionned that he replayed his permanents before combat, it had to be at some point during his main phase and not after he passed priority to end the turn.

EDIT: At least this is how I understand things but now I'm doubting this version.

@Epsilon: what was your opponent responding to with the Evacuation?

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 4:07 am 

zimagic wrote:
Announcing end of phase means he wouldn't be able to play sorcery speed spells until his second main phase.

I wasn't perfectly clear with my previous post. I'm accepting that this all happened during the main phase, so flash doesn't matter.

The opponent has to do something that made it specifically during 1st main phase, which I'm taking as a fact. If Epsilon says, "I'm going to go to combat," and his opponent says, "Still during your main phase, Evacuation," then we're still in Epsilon's main phase and he will get priority back after Evacuation resolves.

If his opponent had instead just said, "Evacuation," we can look at the default shortcuts and see that this is happening during the beginning of combat step ("go to combat"=pass priority until an opponent has priority during my beginning of combat step). If that is the case, then having flash would let Epsilon recast stuff.

If his opponent is particularly clever and lets him attack with his creatures before casting, then even flash won't stop the Evacuation from acting like a Fog.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 4:11 am 

Phases only change after everyone passes priority on an empty stack so if he cast something in my main phase, I would get priority back after the stack cleared and could again cast sorceries. That's why the correct line of play is to wait until the beginning of the combat step to cast spells which is generally where it should have been cast.

The group I was playing with is a less competitive group so they don't always make the best plays and often will cast things out of turn. I hadn't really passed priority after the heat shimmer resolved as I was considering casting the Crack the Earth in my hand or just going to combat to kill them when he decided to cast evacuation. So he cast it out of turn but it would have changed nothing had he done it in response to my crack the earth so I just went with it.

I think the bigger question is really, if he had evacuation in hand, why didn't he cast it on his own turn to get another two Gary casts to just kill us. I don't think he was short on mana for the mana flare to be the deciding factor on that but whatever.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-21 5:59 am 

Had myself something of a Magical Christmasland game this weekend, playing Surrak of all things.

Now, This Surrak deck was originally a Standard-legal EDH deck (and was just that up until about a month ago). The deck is probably a LOT different than if I had just built an unrestricted Surrak deck from scratch and it retains the same feel and flavor of the orginal Standard version, it just has a better mana base, better ramp (cultivate versus Perigrination, STE versus Elvish Mystic, etc), and replaces a handful of the more marginal fatties with somewhat better fatties.

But it's still very much a stompy deck full of big things and lots of Ferocious triggers and stuff like Garruk's Packleader for draw. I definitely consider it to be one of my weaker decks and it doesn't win all that often, but occasionally it has games like this one:

• A T3 Yisan the Wandering Bard went unanswered (until it was too late). My Verse chain went like this: Dragonmaster Outcast, Blood Tender, Rec Sage (an opponent on Daretti was setting up some Strionic Resonator + Spine of Ish Sah shenanigans), Temur Sabertooth... I can't remember what five-drop I got with Yisan; I was planning on getting Prophet of Kruphix at this point, but I had actually drawn into her naturally right after that Rec Sage play. Then at six I hit Spitebellows, and finally at 7 I got a clutch Dragonlord Atarka.

• That Temur Sabertooth - bounce and recast Rec Sage multiple times to kill key artifacts and enchantments; bounced Spitebellows a few times to kill incoming threats. Bounced Prophet of Kruphix twice to keep her from getting exiled or killed. Blocked like a champ, being Indestructible as needed.

• Prophet of Kruphix - is stupid, yes, I know but SO much fun with Yisan! Also made it possible to use that Rec Sage to answer key plays at Instant speed. Finally, she let me flash in...

• Progenitor Mimic copying Dragonmaster Outcast. Oh god the dragons! I had a Garruk's Packleader out, too, so I was drawing mad cards off this little combo.

• Flameshadow Conjuring actually did something for me. An Iroas Player cast a Deploy to the Front for like 16 soldiers. Fine. But then he went for an Eldrazi Monument, too. In response to the Monument, though, I activated Yisan for 7, found Dragonlord Atarka and copied him with the Conjuring, shooting 10 of his tokens and giving me enough blockers to survive (I was actually pretty low on life - those 2/2 flying, indestructible Soldiers would actually have done me in, if they had Haste).

Depsite all the crazy bullshit that I did without disruption, I actually did all that through a fair few removal spells including TWO Volcanic offerings, multiple Spine of Ish Sah triggers and a Path to Exile or two. Almost of this removal happened after I got Temur Sabertooth online, so I just kept bouncing things to save them - it slowed me way down for a while, but no one could permanently answer anything that really mattered.

When Iroas's plan to kill me with 2/2 flying soldiers fell apart, everyone just agreed collectively to declare me the inevitable winner and went on to the next game, where I proceeded to lose twice in a row with Kalemne giving me the worst draws I've ever seen - apparently Surrak used up 100% of my luck for the night in that one game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-22 1:45 am 

Also had a really stupid 1v1 game. I was playing Ezuri (the new UG one), and my opponent was playing Ghave. If this were Iron Chef it would be the "+1/+1 Counters and Tokens Battle" episode.

Actually it would be the infintie fog lock battle.

I managed to leverage my tokens and counters a little faster and more aggressively than Ghave did, so I was the beatdown and had Ghave backpeddling and scrambling to develop his board and defend himself at the same time, but I got stuck on lands for a few turns and couldn't get Win Goat out to smash him decisively. Instead I had to rely on a slowly-growning Invisible Stalker. Managed to get Edric out to draw some cards, but the very next turn Ghave dropped Spike Weaver and started fogging my attacks to screw me out of draw (and, of course, to not die).

He kept managing to assemble, basically, infinite fog locks - first he had Cathar's Crusade and Rhys the Redeemed. I managed to kill the Crusade, so he cast Ghave and started making tokens and sac'ing them to refuel Spike Weaver endlessly.

While he was doing this, I was casting a Mycoloth, putting counters on him with Ezuri, getting more saprolings which in turn led to more EXP and thus more counters, creating a feedback loop of EXP gain and saprolings.

By the end of the game, which is jumping ahead a bit, I had long since stopped calculating my EXP but when I stopped paying attention I had well over 1,000 exp and probably 2 or 3 thousand Saprolings.

I was swinging every turn with a 720/720 Invisible Stalker, and at one point I had a Pathbreaker Ibex with about 150 counters on him, but that got Swords to Plowshare'd so my life total was around 190 or so.

Anyway, my first attempt to break his fog lock was when I topdecked Bident of Thassa. At first I thought it was a dead draw, given the whole "combat damage" thing, but then I remembered it's lesser-used ability, and forced Ghave to swing on his next turn with everything, so that I could wipe his board with Aetherize. That worked, except that post-combat, he had exactly enough mana to re-cast Spike Weaver with one more mana open to Fog.

On my turn, I drew Beast Within, shot down Spike Weaver with it, but of course he fogged in response. No matter, his fog machince was gone, finally! Next turn I would surely be able to strike...

Nope. His turn was this: Knight Captain of Eos, Captain of the Watch, Rhys. Ouch. Another fog machine. A few turns later, he added Elspeth Tirel to the mix and started doubling his Soldier tokens every turn with Rhys. He soon had over 50 soldiers to fog with.

Finally, after what was ultimatel a two and a half hour slog fest where both of us were just no longer even trying to keep track of all our triggers and tokens and counters, etc... I had tokens in the thousand and EXP of at least 2,000 though it would probably be much higher had I not stopped counting...

I finally drew a Fathom Mage.

"Move to combat?"

"Sure."

"Put like a billion counters of Fathom Mage... wait? Does that deck me? Are the draws seperate triggers or do I draw one at a time? She says "May"..."

We look up rullings on Gatherer. Gatherer for once has a very clear and unambiguous rulling on our exact question - each draw is a seperate trigger. I can draw as many cards as I like and stop any time.

I just tell my opponent I will draw until I hit something useful. I could draw all but the last card in my deck if I want, but THREE cards down I hit Ezuri's Predation. I ask my opponent how big all his stuff is - nothing is quite big enough to survive despite multiple anthem effects - one of those anthems is Captain of the Watch and once she dies, everything else drops down to 4/4 if not below, so Predation is enough to kill every last solider on the table.

I cast it, he fogs in response. I pass. He draws, tanks for about 10 seconds and scoops, having no outs to what is probably in the range of 10,000 power on my side. Just for shits I draw my next card anyway, and it was an Overwhelming Stampede. LOL.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 11:21 am 

Playing infect turn 1 played a land tapped it for dark ritual played a sol ring tapped the ring, making a total of 4 mana casting vatmother. Turn 2 I opened with a forest tapped the sol ring for epochrasite using swamp to sac the epoch to culling of the weak netting 4, then tapped the ring for 2, a total of 6. Casting invigorate, for no mana, then tapping the forest cast treasure hunt, returning the invigorate to hand and casting it again. My 4/5 gets +8/8 making a 12/13 using remaining mana to cast piston sledge equipping to vatmother swinging for 15 infect turn 2.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 11:35 am 

Today at the prerelease 2HG, I had an opponent counter my Kozilek, with his Kozilek, with a Kozilek. I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to upset by that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 11:54 am 

Having lots of mana, the most in the match but no creatures to cast was stalling. Tainted aether on the field was slowing things down. I draw for the turn draw and cast planar guide. I sac a land to keep him out then pay his abiliy. Blinking all of the creatures on the field. Each creature that blinked triggered the tainted aether, making them sac all their creatures or lands for the one they want to keep. Having no creatures I did not suffer. The following turn I cast nature's revolt making all lands 2/2 creatures, mine were 3/3 because of an earlier played spear of heliod. My opponents did not that they had been sacing their lands earlier so they were mad when I told them if they played a land it would trigger the aether. Having no lands to spare they passed on casting any creatures or playing lands, also passing the option to attack with their lands. On my turn I cas dictate of heliod all my lands are 5/5 and I attack for the win.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 12:19 pm 

wilburless wrote:
Having lots of mana, the most in the match but no creatures to cast was stalling. Tainted aether on the field was slowing things down. I draw for the turn draw and cast planar guide. I sac a land to keep him out then pay his abiliy. Blinking all of the creatures on the field. Each creature that blinked triggered the tainted aether, making them sac all their creatures or lands for the one they want to keep. Having no creatures I did not suffer. The following turn I cast nature's revolt making all lands 2/2 creatures, mine were 3/3 because of an earlier played spear of heliod. My opponents did not that they had been sacing their lands earlier so they were mad when I told them if they played a land it would trigger the aether. Having no lands to spare they passed on casting any creatures or playing lands, also passing the option to attack with their lands. On my turn I cas dictate of heliod all my lands are 5/5 and I attack for the win.

(meant in jest....mostly)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-17 6:34 pm 

Ukkmaster wrote:
Today at the prerelease 2HG, I had an opponent counter my Kozilek, with his Kozilek, with a Kozilek. I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to upset by that.

That's pretty awesome. I would simply nod in honest deference to such a play and such a turn of events. Such an unlikely play!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 12:31 am 

Ukkmaster wrote:

I'd be upset that I wasn't lucky enough to pack 2 Kozileks in 4 packs.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 5:58 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Ukkmaster wrote:

I'd be upset that I wasn't lucky enough to pack 2 Kozileks in 4 packs.

8 packs. It was 2HG.

One of the pools at my 2HG was a promo Nissa, non foil Nissa and a wasteland expedition. Both Nissa's showed up every round. >.>

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 12:30 am 

Epsilon wrote:
8 packs. It was 2HG.

Fair enough, but my point stands. Having two of a broken mythic in your sealed pool is disgusting.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 12:59 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
8 packs. It was 2HG.

Fair enough, but my point stands. Having two of a broken mythic in your sealed pool is disgusting.

True but the volume of exile based removal in the format is so high and his cost is so high that he's hardly even main-deckable

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next