Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-15 4:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad EDH players/games
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-08 2:22 am 

I remember a 2HG game I played in which I went, "I'm casting Yavimaya Hollow", and my teammate responded "And I'm casting this regeneration land," plopping down his own legendary Yavimaya Hollow.

:facepalm:

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-08 2:28 am 

thats painful man. That said I remember a team mate nuking the field where our opponents had an extracter demon out and milled us both

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-02 2:44 am 

Playing star (first player to eliminate his two "marks" wins) with my new Maelstrom Wanderer deck. I started out mana screwed and was reduced to something like 12 life before establishing any board position.

But things are looking better. My mark on the left is dead (no thanks to me) and the mark on my right (a friend borrowing my Mayael deck) is focusing his attention on the mark on his right (Reaper King with lots of scarecrows, changelings, and flicker effects). I've managed to get enough lands for my mana-hungry deck, and now have Maelstrom Wanderer, Tyrant of Discord, Loaming Shaman, and a Beast Within beast token in play.

I look at the Overwhelming Stampede in my hand and do the math: Next turn, I can untap and cast the stampede, attacking for 48 trample damage. Mayael "only" has an Avacyn, and has been mana screwed since another player cast Ruination, so it's doubtful that he'll be able to get another blocker. Even if he leaves Avacyn back to block, I'll be able to take him from 40 to 0 in a single attack, winning the game in a completely unexpected fashion. Truly an epic play.

But before I get my turn, Reaper King uses one of his scarecrows to take out Maelstrom Wanderer, which not only messes up the math, but is also completely unexpected, as I wasn't even his mark and seemed nowhere close to winning.

Turns out that he mistook Mayael's 40 life for 20; if he hadn't, he would have left me alone, which would have given me an epic win.

:facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-02 5:10 am 

That is a bad play on Reaper King's part due to circumstances, but for the record...

...it's *never* wrong to take out Maelstrom Wanderer. Ever.

--->DJ

Co-Author, Dear Azami - StarCityGames.com

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-02 6:15 am 

DJ Catchem wrote:

I don't have Maelstrom Wanderer on my "kill on sight" list. Without some form of evasion, it can be chump blocked all day, and killing it just allows its owner to double cascade again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-02 8:16 am 

Malekoda wrote:
DJ Catchem wrote:

I don't have Maelstrom Wanderer on my "kill on sight" list. Without some form of evasion, it can be chump blocked all day, and killing it just allows its owner to double cascade again.

After MW is cast, assuming your opponent has chumps, it is weaker then Urabrask.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-02 11:48 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Malekoda wrote:
DJ Catchem wrote:

After MW is cast, assuming your opponent has chumps, it is weaker then Urabrask.

Odd that green has the most cards that give things trample...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-19 5:36 am 

Turn 2: Opponent 1 puts out Stoneforge Mystic, tutoring up Batterskull.
Turn 3: I (going first) play Gilder Bairn. Opponent 2 searches out Trygon Predator and plays it. Opponent 1 equips the sword to the Mystic and swings at 2.
Turn 4: I play Jace the Mind Sculptor (yes, this is EDH, not 2011 Standard). Opponent 2 attacks opponent 1 to destroy his Sword of Feast and Famine. Opponent 1 plays... Armageddon. Justifying it with "that was the play I was going to make if you didn't destroy my sword, and I feel I need to be even more of a dick to punish you for that".

So he now has just a Stoneforge Mystic, we know he has a Batterskull in hand, and this is one of the rare instances where a player pissed off the table enough to make them gang up on him just for playing antisocially. Since I still have the Bairn, I use Jace to fateseal opponent 1 to ensure he gets no lands while his Mystic can't touch me (he does eventually get the Batterskull out, but it's immediately destroyed with the Trygon). I still had 3 lands in hand, so from there it was trivial for me to power out his ultimate to destroy opponent 1, after which opponent 2 concede because neither of us can be bothered to play the game out and he can't do anything about Jace. Opponent 1 admits after that that he also had no plan to deal with Jace.

:|

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-07 3:31 pm 

Prime example of "doesn't get it" - 2nd turn Mana Vortex. Yeah. Fun game. :roll:

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-07 8:17 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Prime example of "doesn't get it" - 2nd turn Mana Vortex. Yeah. Fun game. :roll:

So people kept playing lands to keep Mana Vortex in play?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-08 4:17 am 

Malekoda wrote:

That or the first turn went something like:
P1 land untapped, go
P2 land, Sol Ring, go
P3 reveal Chancellor of the Tangle, play Ancient Tomb, Mana Crypt, Collective Voyage

Or most likely the Vortex player also had Life from the Loam/Crucible of Worlds.

Otherwise it's about the same effect as a turn 2 Impending Disaster: not much long-term harm to the board or to the fun. Just slows the game down for the first few turns.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-08 6:50 am 

Malekoda wrote:

Sadly... yes.
intreped wrote:
Otherwise it's about the same effect as a turn 2 Impending Disaster: not much long-term harm to the board or to the fun. Just slows the game down for the first few turns.

Easily turns a keepable hand into "do nothing for the rest of the game" or at least "do nothing for several more turns than you otherwise would."

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-10 10:06 am 

I'm playing Maelstrom Wanderer online and I really don't have a problem if someone thinks my budget deck is the biggest threat and attacks me into the ground. It happens, but just right now I had a game with a blue Braids, red/black Bladewing and Chromat.
Braids eventually cast the general and Bladewing dropped Rune-Scarred Demon off of it. Chromat dropped a land iirc and I dropped a Aethersnipe bouncing Braids because a) I didn't want the Braids player to cheat into an Eldrazi (he didn't play much group hug before only a Gauntlet of Power and little Jace) and b) I wanted to stop the Bladewing player from dropping what he tutored for (obv. would've failed if Braids replayed her immediately but he just got really upset and played Force Field and other stuff). So now there was no more doubt that I was the bad guy at the table and they all made it clear by attacking me with their stuff.
Alright, guess I should've bounced the demon instead so Bladewing could tutor again...
A little later thanks to Braids the Chromat player was able to assemble Avacyn + Privileged Position and Bladewing had enough creatures to kill me even with lucky Wanderer flips (remember my deck is budget <30 tickets) so I decided to go out with a little joke using Braids trigger once again to drop a bounce creature (Mist Raven) and bounce Braids.
Guess what happened next? Braids player got so upset he quit the game, Bladewing attacked me with everything and got locked out next turn by the Chromat player who he could've killed instead.

so tldr: Braids player ragequit because I bounced his general twice, Bladewing player killed me because I supposedly made Braids quit, Chromat won because of wrong threat assessment.

<3 Modo

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-10 11:25 pm 

Nocuras, I can definitely sympathize. While it was 60 card decks, 4 of us were playing and one friend was playin his dawn charm isochron scepter deck. He got that online and none of the rest of us could deal with it unless we all attacked him so he'd run out of fogs. I kept attacking him, but no one else was. Finally, one of my friends played Emrakul but then attacked me! I killed him the next turn (massive pack rats). I asks my other friend if he'd help take out the scepter player, but he declined, so I killed him and conceded so we could move on to another game.

Afterwards, the scepter player showed his hand full of counters, which would have easily dealt with the other player's 2 naturalized in his deck.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-11 8:42 am 

Well, now that I've ranted it's probably only fair to tell another Mtgo story but this time on the opposite site of the spectrum (I know this thread is about bad games etc. but my point is there are other games as well I guess ;))
So it was me on Wanderer again, against a Pauper Chromat (only found out it's budget after the game), Ghost Council of Orzhova and Bruna.
Ghost Council was mana/colorscrewed at the beginning and Bruna was a bit landlight as well so Chromat and I battled it out for the most part, ramping and flinging our generals at each other. When Bruna got out the commander, Ghost Council used the opportunity to play Hallowed Burial getting all the commanders. I thought that was a very nice (almost epic) play so I typed in chat "nice one" and to my surprise the others chimed in "very nice play" and "yeah absolutely the right play".
About a turn or 2 later I play the last 2 cards in my hand which turned out to be Deadeye Navigator and *drum roll* Riftwing Cloudskate. Might as well play it if it's in the deck and hey, I tapped out so for this round even a spotremoval works..
Unfortunately they didn't have anything and after another turn tapping out to bounce the remaining threats on board I told them "I could start removing your lands but I have a feeling that's really mean" to which the Chromat player replied "just do it, it's in your deck so you should use it".
One turn of bouncing lands of the Chromat player (who had by far the most out) and the Bruna player types "don't think I can deal with the lock fast enough, gg", Chromat replies "I'm pretty sure I don't have any ways to deal with that in my all-common deck, gg" and at last Ghost Council says "well I do have one or two ways but that would take quite some time" so they all concede and we are able to start a new game.
After that I message the Chromat player and tell him 'I'm sorry' again but he just says "don't worry, our decks were simply not built to deal with that"

tldr: Hallowed Burial tucked 3 generals, everyone congratulated on the good play; Deadeye Navigator combo assembled, everyone tells me it's fine and concedes so we can start a new game (no hard feelings!)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next