Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-09 5:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad EDH players/games
AgePosted: 2012-Dec-11 9:40 am 

So people like that DO exist!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-14 6:42 am 

I've been privy to many really bad EDH games. Thankfully, the main player in our group who's been the center of those dirty plays has grown up and I think I'll be really proud of his improvement once we all get together again.

For instance, one of his many annoying plays has been with Rhys the Redeemed as a general. Managed to get Storm Herd off of Windbrisk Heights on turn three or four a couple of times. We forced him to take it apart.

The worst it got was after he built Memnarch. Straight artifact ramp/combo to steal everything. It isn't fun whenever one turn nothing happens, and then next turn he steals all of your land. We all left that night very frustrated, and he promised to bring the deck again the following week. It needed to stop. In preparation, I built Heidar, Rimewind Master as a very similar deck. Just dirty combos and jerk plays, all of the holes filled with counter spells.

The following week:
I get out an early Thada Adel, Acquisitor and start straight stealing cards from his deck, playing the ones I need (mainly ramp) and just leaving the rest in exile. He still manages to get Memnarch out utilizing Mycosynth Golem, being one of the few cards he managed to draw before I killed it. He steals my Extraplanar Lens with a snow land on it, effectively cutting my mana in half, but he's only playing regular Islands so we're safe for a turn. I pass after bouncing Memnarch back to his hand with Heidar, but doing nothing else. Someone then kills Mycosynth. His turn: tried to cast Memnarch again. I counter. Still with enough mana, he casts Memnarch again--I counter again. He can't manage it again (or at least doesn't want to), so tries to cast Deadeye Navigator for infinite mana next turn. I manage to still cast Foil with the cards I have left. He uses the last couple of mana he has to kill Heidar. I pass, having spent everything I have. It gets to his turn again, and casts Memnarch without resistance. I lose a couple of my ramps. Nobody does anything (basically the other two players were mana screwed the entire game). Memnarch goes again, steals everything I have except for land.

Thankfully, one of the other players steps in with Planar Cleansing, and we're all set back to zero.

Well, kinda. I got infinite mana two turns later from the cards I was holding back from getting stolen from Memnarch, and use it to bounce everything else with Heidar and an untap ability. Everyone concedes, pissed.

I hated doing it, but since then--since that player got all of his jerk moves shoved back in his face--he's gotten much, much better at playing for fun. I haven't touched Heidar since. I hope I never have to be a bad player like that again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-14 6:51 am 

You need to re-read Extraplanar Lens...it is a global effect.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-14 7:15 am 

Hmm, you're right. Well, maybe he blinked it to get one of his Islands on it instead. This all happened eight months or so ago.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-15 12:56 am 

Segrus wrote:
I got infinite mana two turns later from the cards I was holding back from getting stolen from Memnarch, and use it to bounce everything else with Heidar and an untap ability. Everyone concedes, pissed.

I hated doing it, but since then--since that player got all of his jerk moves shoved back in his face--he's gotten much, much better at playing for fun. I haven't touched Heidar since. I hope I never have to be a bad player like that again.

I'm not really a fan of this tactic, but I guess it worked so that's nice. I can imagine you felt dirty. You could consider next time this happens to only bounce the bad player's permanents, and go on to play a fun game with the rest.

Kami of the Crescent Moon (mass draw, bounce and shenanigans)
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (you did this to yourself: mono red edition)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-15 11:54 am 

Squirrely wrote:

I'm not really a fan of this tactic, but I guess it worked so that's nice. I can imagine you felt dirty. You could consider next time this happens to only bounce the bad player's permanents, and go on to play a fun game with the rest.

I didn't want to do it at all. Nobody had fun that game, but we'd tried convincing him no one was having fun. Until he didn't have any fun, it didn't make any sense to him. That was the third or fourth deck in a row made of straight nasty combos. I've been thinking about it since posting originally, and he started out with Shaarum, then Wrexial, then Rhys, and finally Memnarch. He tried Avacyn after Memnarch, which at least let everyone play for a while. We were happy about that.

Normally, I try positive reinforcement in order to encourage players (as opposed to trying to tear them down). He just didn't understand, because it was fun for him to beat everyone. Thankfully he's a reasonable person.

Also, I bounced everyone's just so we could be done. Like I said, everyone was pissed at that point, and wanted the game to be done as soon as possible.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-16 5:19 am 

More Modo storytime:

In turn order, I (Maelstrom Wanderer) am pretty much spent and cast the commander in hopes of cascading into card draw or some stuff to gain board presence. Cascade hits Ondu Giant and Ray of Command (stealing Zedruu). I evenly spread the 3 attackers and pass to Patron of the Moon who taps out to kick Rite of Replication on Ondu Giant. Zedruu uses Wild Ricochet to get the Giants instead and retarget the original to Wanderer effectively fizzles it and sends my Wanderer back to the command zone. Right after that it's Karador who had some insect tokens left over and uses them to attack Patron.
Now Patron quits and Zedruu comments in chat "boohoo they are picking on me..."
Next up is the Zedruu and he uses his Giants and his Zedruu to attack me. I use my last card in hand and Spin into Mist his commander.
Guess what happens next? Zedruu quits without saying a word.

Karador then tells me he has to go soon and doesn't want to keep playing 1v1 so he scoops too.

tldr: Zedruu player mocks Patron of the Moon player for ragequitting then ragequits himself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-17 1:58 am 

I am awesome at playing my new Intet storm combo deck:

Me: "Tap 10, Omniscience?"
Player 1: "...Oh God. Yeah, you got it."
Me: "Cool. Lay Consecrated Sphinx, Reforge the Soul."
Player 2: "Wow, that's disgusting. So you basically draw the rest of your deck?"
Me: "Sure do. This is the part where I kill you all with Brain Freeze and Grapeshot. [Sorcery], [Sorcery], Gitaxian Probe, [Sorcery]--"
Player 3: "Actually, before that last spell resolves, you lose the game."
Me: "What?"
Player 2: "[gets it, starts laughing]"
Player 3: "Re-read Gitaxian Probe."
Player 1: "Oh my God, that's the best thing ever."
Me: "Look at target player's hand and DRAW A CARD?! KHAAAAAAAAAN!"

The moral of the story, kids: Reading your own cards is tech.

Sedris, the Traitor King: BRAAAAAINS (Zombie Tribal)
Zedruu, Group Pickpocket (Pillowfort Test of Endurance deck. You heard right)
Ghave, Guru of Dumb (Token Control)

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-17 7:20 pm 

herodotusjr wrote:

Player 2: "Wow, that's disgusting. So you basically draw the rest of your deck?"
Me: "Sure do. This is the part where I kill you all with Brain Freeze and Grapeshot. [Sorcery], [Sorcery], Gitaxian Probe, [Sorcery]--"

you my friend....are epic :P

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-18 2:20 am 

herodotusjr wrote:

Two words: Laboratory Maniac.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-27 9:50 am 

File this under "hilarious misplay I committed", not "some douchy guy I played against".

So, it's me trying out my retooled Teysa in a duel against a friend borrowing my Damia deck. Damia is doing what she does best, building up a board of cheap but super-efficient creatures. I'm running out of gas, and I know it won't be long before I'm buried in gorgon droppings and card advantage.

But I've gotten him down to eight, and I have a Falkenrath Noble in play, along with Bloodline Keeper, Endrek Sahr, and a Spawning Pit with a single charge counter. I count and re-count the creatures I have in play and realize I can win this turn. So I start:

Make a vampire token with Bloodline Keeper, sacrifice it to add a counter to Spawning Pit, you're at seven.

Remove two counters to make a 2/2, sacrifice it to add a counter, you're at six.

Sacrifice Bloodline Keeper to add a counter, you're at five.

Remove two counters to make a 2/2, sacrifice it to add a counter, you're at four.

Sacrifice Endrek Sahr to add a counter, you're at three.

Remove two counters to make a 2/2, sacrifice it to add a counter, you're at two.

It is only then that I realize the horrible truth: To create the final token, I need to sacrifice my Falkenrath Noble, meaning that it won't be around when I sacrifice the token again. Just one life short of finishing him.

My already meager board is completely decimated, and after he kills Falkenrath Noble, reanimates it and clones it, it only takes him two turns to finish me off.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-28 7:23 am 

Malekoda wrote:
My already meager board is completely decimated, and after he kills Falkenrath Noble, reanimates it and clones it, it only takes him two turns to finish me off.
LOL. Just goes to show, Prime Time isn't the only creature capable of warping a game around itself. Calling it now: Noble and Blood Artist are going on the "watch list". ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-28 9:29 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Just goes to show, Prime Time isn't the only creature capable of warping a game around itself. Calling it now: Noble and Blood Artist are going on the "watch list". ;)

The effect may seem small, but those creature are absolute houses in the deck. With a packed board, they can take out a player if someone wraths, and otherwise they just sit there, slowly syphoning life as people don't really want to use a removal spells on them.

Also why I'm excited about Extort in general and Treasury Thrull in particular.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-28 9:33 am 

I really like Treasury Thrulls initals.

"T T"

Cry bitches :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-28 9:43 am 

Joz wrote:
I really like Treasury Thrulls initals.

The eighth-grader in me just realized that with those pegs, Treasury Thrull looks like a dick with legs. Very fitting, as I expect to be a dick with it.

Edit: Aaand the seventh-grater in me just decided that its Danish name is going to be "tisse-trolden", literally translated "peeing troll", really immature slang for penis.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next