Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-07 9:09 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad EDH players/games
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-07 12:18 pm 

Here's a game that happened recently at my LGS. I'm not sure it's anyone's fault, just a bizarre set of circumstances.

There are five players, myself with Rasputin Dreamweaver, a Sheoldred player, Animar, and I don't remember what the other two played, because as you are about to understand, no one but Animar and Sheoldred got to play much Magic.

Sheoldred wins the die roll and comes out rocking with turn one Sol Ring. No one does much, and when it gets to his turn two, he drops Mindslicer. Groans ensue. No one has an acceptable answer, but Animar drops a Skullclamp. Despite the Clamp, Sheoldred guy kills his own Mindslicer, ruining everyone but Animar, who rips Dawntreader Elk immediately and next turn clamps and sacs it, and he starts to pull far ahead with Clamp and Magus of the Future, showing a Tooth and Nail among other awful things.

At this point, most of us are focusing our meager resources on keeping Sheoldred himself off the board while Animar is allowed to run free and do whatever he wants with his Skullclamp. Animar eventually casts his Tooth and Nail, no one has anything for it in their depleted hands, and he just gets Kiki/Pestermite and kills everyone; whoop-dee-do, how effing exciting. Sheoldred complains about everyone ganging up on him, apparently not realizing that people like to have cards to play.

I found out later the Sheoldred guy works with a friend of mine who is part of my home playgroup, and was complaining to him about it as well.

A dumb game, but how often is Sol Ring into Mindslicer on the play actually going to happen?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-25 11:48 am 

Played Karn, Silver Golem in a local EDH tournament today.

Game 1: Geth player casts Sorin, immediatly puts me on 10, then attacks me I drop to 2 (I barely survive that turn thx to Maze of Ith). I Mindslaver (no other option) and make him kill the Sorin and his creatures. He casts Geth, reanimates the Ghave player's Eternal Witness, gets back and recasts Sorin and kills me. The Ghave player simply hardcasts an Eldrazi and stomps him.

Game 2: I spend 95% locked out of this game by Ghave player's Aura Shards (the guy from game 1). Phelddagrif player destroys it at a certain point. He recurs it immediatly.

Game 3: Game goes back and forth for a while. I save a Zedruu player from dieing by protecting him from the Phelddagrif's player attacks with Maze of Ith repeatedly. Then I cast All Is Dust so he wouldn't die before we ran out of time (thus denying an other player 20 points). Zedruu player thanks me by in his last turn donating a Transcendence to me killing me in one shot (he could have chosen anyone else).

Three people made my list today.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-25 2:34 pm 

The second and third don't seem like bad players or plays. You're playing at a tournament, why shouldn't your opponents play to win?

The first seems just like the player trying to keep the more explosive deck from going off. I play a Karn deck, and people know that Karn can just vomit advantage if given a chance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-25 2:36 pm 

ddt15 wrote:

Game 1: Geth player casts Sorin, immediatly puts me on 10, then attacks me I drop to 2 (I barely survive that turn thx to Maze of Ith). I Mindslaver (no other option) and make him kill the Sorin and his creatures. He casts Geth, reanimates the Ghave player's Eternal Witness, gets back and recasts Sorin and kills me. The Ghave player simply hardcasts an Eldrazi and stomps him.

Game 2: I spend 95% locked out of this game by Ghave player's Aura Shards (the guy from game 1). Phelddagrif player destroys it at a certain point. He recurs it immediatly.

Game 3: Game goes back and forth for a while. I save a Zedruu player from dieing by protecting him from the Phelddagrif's player attacks with Maze of Ith repeatedly. Then I cast All Is Dust so he wouldn't die before we ran out of time (thus denying an other player 20 points). Zedruu player thanks me by in his last turn donating a Transcendence to me killing me in one shot (he could have chosen anyone else).

Lessons of the day...

1. Never trust a Zedruu player.

2. Never save another player if they are playing Zedruu, or any other general for that matter unless you want to die a ignoble death.

3. Kill people with fists, not cardboard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-30 6:27 am 

Joz wrote:
ddt15 wrote:

Lessons of the day...

2. Never save another player if they are playing Zedruu, or any other general for that matter unless you want to die a ignoble death.

your forgetting the most important lesson

4. Don't play in EDH tournaments

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-30 6:43 am 

Shoe wrote:
Joz wrote:
ddt15 wrote:

Lessons of the day...

your forgetting the most important lesson

4. Don't play in EDH tournaments

My favorite rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-31 4:38 pm 

Playing in an EDH tournament led directly to me dismantling my Uril deck.
It was my first really 'good' deck, and I killed the other 4 players in one turn while my City of Solitude had them locked out. Blarg.

I would love to arrange a tournament with my current decks. I have 9 and I made 3 for my girlfriend. While I certainly couldn't play in it, it would still be fun to see which deck was the best of the 12.

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-03 12:59 pm 

This game just happened tonight.

Treva, the Renewer, Trostani, Selesnya's Voice, and I was playing Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius. My wife is piloting Trostani, and I know it can ramp up really quickly if left alone too long. My Niv deck is actually almost Pauper--there are only about three rares in there (Memory Jar, Mirari, and Academy Ruins from the top of my head...maybe also Reiterate). I built it just because I wanted to see how strong I could make a deck out of very few 'staple' cards. I hadn't played against the Treva guy yet, so I was excited to see what he had.

I went last, ended up getting to turn five with a Nivix Guildmage out with Last Thoughts ciphered onto it. I was really proud, considering the turn before my wife cast Boundless Realms to follow up with a really big fatty the next turn (ended up being Primordial Hydra). Treva went next and cast Tunnel Vision on me, naming Rogue's Passage. It the second-to-last card in my library. After five minutes of play with not a single threat against anyone, I had to scoop. No threat perception on his part, and he didn't have any remorse. Just said, "Oh, well that's the best it's ever done."

I didn't feel bad next game switching to my Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund deck and stomping him in with Hellkite Overlord attached with Bear Umbra and Fireshrieker.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-04 6:32 am 

Couple days ago (iirc) ran into an Animar deck online that went turn 1 manadude, turn 2 Animar, turn 3 Aluren -> Imperial Recruiter -> Shrieking Drake.. at which point we just all scooped.

Was wondering what the worst thing would've been that he could've come up with (aside from making Animar a 100+/100+ and killing one player, most likely the W/B guy, right there) and the worst I could think of in RUG is at the end of Shrieking Drake loops bounce Imperial Recruiter, get Fierce Empath next and tutor for Blightsteel Colosus or Eldrazi to cast immediately and incase of Blightsteel kill the remaining 2 players the turn after. Any better ideas? Something with haste maybe? Too bad RUG lacks Cavern Harpy ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-04 4:16 pm 

Cloud of Faeries would create infinite mana of the colored variety and any cantrip creature (elvish visionary?) would let him draw the whole deck, not just power 2 or less. AKA playing every spell in the deck was possible.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-04 5:41 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Only if he has some way of repeatedly bouncing those creatures, though, like Cloudstone Curio or something.

I think that the Ulamog play is probably the most solid and conservative. You get to kill the most relevant permanent on the board, kill the most relevant player, then have two enormous threats that would typically need two separate types of answers. You've got a few other cool options, though.
- Storm Entity, to immediately kill two players, assuming no blockers.
- Neurok Invisimancer, if there's someone you really want to kill right now who has defense.
- Repeatedly bounce and replay Imperial Recruiter once at a time, getting Man-o-war, Faerie Impostor, Dream Stalker, Aether Adept, Arctic Merfolk, Phantasmal Image, Phyrexian Metamorph, Kami of Twisted Reflection, Eternal Witness (returning Kami), Fierce Empath, Artisan of Kozilek (returning Kami), Wirewood Symbiote (untap manadork, return Fierce Empath), Deadwood Treefolk (returning Kami) and finally Hellraiser Goblin, then spread some damage around. That's only about 33 extra damage, though (you can get an extra Aethersnipe in there if your manadork is BoP). Probably not enough to kill someone. However, if you can figure out a way to get two tutors from one bounce creature, or if you happen to start with an extra bounce creature in hand, you can get Wizard Mentor and give him haste, then easily go infinite and play your deck.

My favourite option, though, is to do nothing. Just make a huge Animar, attack, then pass the turn with Imperial Recruiter in hand. That way, in an emergency, you can tutor up disruption like Plaxmanta or Goatnapper or whatever the situation calls for. Worst case scenario, Animar dies, but you make infinite bears with Caller of the Claw after repeatedly killing Kami of Twisted Reflection, then they have to deal with that too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-04 9:04 pm 

Quote:
My favourite option, though, is to do nothing.

That would probably be the best play... IF they have an answer on their turn, you can respond at instant speed to combo off and kill them since Aluren allows instant speed plays...

Although on your turn you could still throw Riku into the mix somewhere and make it a bit easier to combo off with some free mana/bounce creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-06 2:33 pm 

Wooooot MtGO an endless vault of stories!

So what happens when Ib Halfheart and Zozu join a game of EDH as commanders respectively?

One guy randomly scooped a couple turns in (probably had something come up irl), and the 4th guy went crazy with Vorinclex so we both threw all our ressources at this guy, he defended with Terrastodon and when he finally went down there were no lands left on the board (Wildfire, Terrastodon and Ib Halfheart), 3 Goblins on my side of the board and an Elephant at Zozu's side. Oh and somewhere along the way an Uba Mask entered the battlefield to stop the Wydwen player from earlier.

So there are those 2 monoR decks, no lands in play but an Uba Mask..
After one or two turns of hoping to reveal a land to Uba Mask I suggest we just end this cripple fight and join a new game...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-26 2:49 am 

Playing Sygg, River Guide in a 6-man and still getting a feel for the deck.

Obzedat is to my right and Ghave in front of me both starting to get annoying with their graveyard. I have exactly 9 mana, a Ghostly Prison and a Sacred Mesa in play so I'm staying alive but I've been hit a couple of times so I'm mid-teens though I should be ok. I have got it into my head that getting Rest in Peace into play is the way to stabilise the game a bit and then I can start to pull ahead with my card advantage.

I was so fixated by this that, when the Kaalia player dropped a Kokusho, my immediate thought was: "Fine, I just have to find & then drop Rest in Peace into play and Kokusho is no longer a problem." (apart from being a 5/5 flier)

Ghave kills my pegasus tokens with Massacre Wurm just after Kaalia's turn and I'm tapped out so I have to stack the trigger, create a token and sac it in my upkeep so as not to lose the Sacred Mesa. One of the other players, seeing that I'll have a maximum of 8 mana even if I play a land, lets out a huge sigh of relief and says "Phew! For a minute there I thought you were going to play a kicked Rite of Replication on Kokusho!"

I looked at my hand again and face-palmed: The top card was Rite of Replication.

The game didn't get any better from there.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-10 6:14 am 

Long story made short, I used my Fertilid to give a land to a mana screwed Sharuum player. Later in the game, they bring back a Phyrexian Metamorph copying Magister Sphinx, knocking me to ten when the guy going next has Drana, Kalastria Highborn and mana to kill me with it. It did nothing to serve Sharuum's plan; the guy who killed me with Drana was doing the most by far. This guy just straight up screwed me over for no good reason, and I'll remember it the next time we play.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next