Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-07 8:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad EDH players/games
AgePosted: 2013-May-21 8:41 am 

zimagic wrote:
1.) why are you being picked on? It seems to be more than just you killing a Hex Parasite tbh.

In the first two games, it was the same guy being a dick. His basic winning strategy is to suicide-spite people who cross him so those people will later be afraid to touch him (or they'll incur completely disproportionate retribution) and then he can win games uninterrupted. Plus the anecdotes he usually tells suggest to me that he just enjoys being a tool.

In the other one, I think it was that I was playing Sliver Queen as my general, which Grim-grin thought was an inherently unfair card for some reason even though he knew I wasn't playing any other slivers or any infinite combo cards. Why that was considered more abusive than Sliver Overlord piloted by someone who openly admitted to playing a degenerate combo deck, I'm not sure, but since this guy left to go home just after hitting me with the hand discard I think he might also have just felt like being obnoxious.

Quote:
and 2.) How is Isperia playing Hex Parasite in a UW deck when it have black phyrexian mana in the text box?

Wow, how did I not notice that.

Then again, that's the fourth time in a month I've caught a judge cheating in a casual game

Segrus wrote:
I'm just sitting here wondering about why someone is still playing Trade Secrets...

Forgot to mention (the post was already getting lengthy) that we told him it was banned but we decided to allow it anyway, not realising he'd be dumb enough to let the strongest player at the table draw their deck without even using the card draw himself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-21 8:56 am 

IotaNull wrote:
Forgot to mention (the post was already getting lengthy) that we told him it was banned but we decided to allow it anyway,

Never reward people for skirting the rules and acting dumb about it. The only proper way of dealing with people playing illegal cards in a casual game is to let them exile it and draw another card to replace it.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-21 3:25 pm 

Malekoda wrote:
IotaNull wrote:
Forgot to mention (the post was already getting lengthy) that we told him it was banned but we decided to allow it anyway,

Never reward people for skirting the rules and acting dumb about it. The only proper way of dealing with people playing illegal cards in a casual game is to let them exile it and draw another card to replace it.

^^The above is a really good way to take care of it usually--I've done as much a couple times now. Unless of course they keep "accidentally" making these "mistakes," and then you might need to start implementing actual penalties. Your groups sound really bad though, and I feel for you Malekoda. It's been months since I have gotten even a single game of EDH, and it's because people exactly like this are who I'm having to avoid here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-22 12:23 am 

Segrus wrote:
Your groups sound really bad though, and I feel for you Malekoda.

I think you've confused me with IotaNull. I have a great playgroup who meets once a week privately - usually at my place. I think 90 percent of these terrible game stories involve people playing strangers or semi-strangers at their LGS.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-22 1:01 am 

Malekoda wrote:
Segrus wrote:
Your groups sound really bad though, and I feel for you Malekoda.

I think you've confused me with IotaNull. I have a great playgroup who meets once a week privately - usually at my place. I think 90 percent of these terrible game stories involve people playing strangers or semi-strangers at their LGS.

Yah, sorry, I mean IotaNull with that last part. Long day yesterday, staring at the computer all day and finally getting a week-long calculation to finally work correctly.

I would say this is somewhat true, but sometimes you've no choice except to play with those strangers/semi-strangers. You can't make a good play group out of thin air; however, it sometimes (especially whenever you've just moved somewhere) requires playing those random people over and over until you either find someone who shares your opinions or the random people become convinced of your opinions. Right now, the only Magic I get to play is with a weekly Cube group, some of whom played during Black Summer and before. Unfortunately, the majority of them refuse to play EDH/Commander because it always ends up turning into 100-card Vintage for them. Therefore, I won't ever see an EDH game with them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-22 7:21 am 

I know this is the oldest "bad player" story ever, but I seriously hate it when stuff like this happens:

4-way with Kresh, Ob Nixlis (me), Venser, and someone Esper. The whole game, Kresh is doing great and stomping down pretty hard. Eventually he gets Kiki-Jiki online and Yavimaya Halllow to keep it alive. Soon, the guy Worldly tutors on Venser's end step (Venser was right before him) for Conscripts. Right before his draw step, Esper Time Stops, and when it gets to his turn, he pretty much says "draw, go". I then draw Bone Shredder, do some other stuff and play it targetting kiki, thinking that I've saved this game. Venser then casts his general... targetting my Bone Shredder. I didn't have the mana to recast it. I ask Venser "WTF man, he's gonna win now", and Venser says, "oh, I've got a better idea than killing it." He then takes control of it with something on his turn, which leaves him tapped out...... and Kresh of course takes control of Kiki with Conscripts' ETB and wins.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-24 8:08 pm 

Ran into my first douchescoop tonight. I was running my Mirri the Cursed voltron deck while playing against Urabrask the Hidden and Doran, the Siege Tower. I've managed to get out Mirri equipped with Champion's Helm and Basilisk Collar, which has caused Urabrask to turn his Firewing Phoenix (backed up by Gratuitous Violence towards Doran. Doran's next turn rolls around and he drops a Day of Judgment and scoops. I promptly flash in Blessing of Leeches to save Mirri, then equip a Grappling Hook next turn and proceed to maul Urabrask for 10.

The game still had an exciting ending, though. Urabrask almost pulled off a comeback on his next turn with an Insurrection, but ended up one point of commander damage shy of killing me with my own general (thanks, Gratuitous Violence, you're a pal). I proceed to cast/equip Sword of Feast and Famine and swing for lethal commander damage.

All things considered, we should probably have just ignored the DoJ from the scooping player and kept playing as normal, but the FNM event was starting soon, so we just decided to finish up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-05 6:40 am 

Joz wrote:
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to enjoy EDH as I encounter more players unwilling to change how they play in order to find new ways to win; or build decks. I see the same easy-mode buttons over and over again. And over and over again I'm the player that is just trying to smash the easy-mode button to pieces (over and over again.)
Omniscience, Eldrazi, Erueka, Avacyn, Vorinclex, Time Stretch, etc...

This very thing, combined with the rising costs of magic are what made me finally quit playing the game. I just don't have a good time any more. I do still ahve some decks of basic spells and vanilla creatures to play with my kids.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-11 9:01 am 

Groundhog Day: The Gathering

Five-player game in which two players both had a Cyclonic Rift. One of them also had an Eternal Witness while the other had a clone to copy the Witness. They just kept recurring their Rifts, making the whole table play out the same turns over and over again. They kept at it until Bill Murray turned up in the form of a Scavenging Ooze and put a stop to the recursion.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-11 3:21 pm 

Malekoda wrote:
Groundhog Day: The Gathering

Five-player game in which two players both had a Cyclonic Rift. One of them also had an Eternal Witness while the other had a clone to copy the Witness. They just kept recurring their Rifts, making the whole table play out the same turns over and over again. They kept at it until Bill Murray turned up in the form of a Scavenging Ooze and put a stop to the recursion.

Five player game and no one had a counter or kill spell for the witness OR an ETB effect strong enough to make people rethink the chain bounces? Sounds like a boring game but kinda hard to feel bad about it. As soon as anyone drew any type of answer, it would rather quickly become a 3 vs 2 with the 3 already having the best 7 threats drawn all game in hand...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-11 4:28 pm 

Epsilon wrote:
Five player game and no one had a counter or kill spell for the witness OR an ETB effect strong enough to make people rethink the chain bounces?

One of the other players had a Dosan the Falling Leaf, preventing anyone from countering. I tried getting rid of it with a Mystic Snake every time he recast it, resulting in him just getting it back with his Eternal Witness.

The most powerful ETB effect was on Avenger of Zendikar, which was what caused all the rifting - one player would clone it and rift, then the other player would clone it as well and rift away the other guy's tokens.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-12 12:32 am 

Malekoda wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
Five player game and no one had a counter or kill spell for the witness OR an ETB effect strong enough to make people rethink the chain bounces?

One of the other players had a Dosan the Falling Leaf, preventing anyone from countering. I tried getting rid of it with a Mystic Snake every time he recast it, resulting in him just getting it back with his Eternal Witness.

The most powerful ETB effect was on Avenger of Zendikar, which was what caused all the rifting - one player would clone it and rift, then the other player would clone it as well and rift away the other guy's tokens.

Sounds like a few backhands needed to be passed around that day!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-13 1:02 am 

I know this topic is a little old but I had the problem you guys are discussing with another player the other day. He got all pissy with me bc he clearly had a couple of cards from the banned list in his deck without telling anyone. He and his friends descided to gang up on me bc I don't go to the store but maybe once a month. He brought Time Walk, Mox Sapphire, Panoptic Mirror and Gifts Unforgiven. He got pissed bc I Counterspelled his Gifts Unforgiven. I allowed him to do Time Walk but he tried to Panoptic Mirror his Time Walk so I Counterflux him which he get's mad again. My next turn to be a dick I infinite combo him and his friends with Niv-Mizzet and Curiousity. He gets mad and rage quits. We get into an arguement that how the ban list is only optional. This store hosts EDH tournaments about twice a year and they have rules for casually playing bc the store has had ppl actually get into physical fights over this stuff in the past. So I said you want to bet decks on it. He backed down and shut up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-30 8:06 pm 

Playing a 7 man (yep!) in order from me around the table:
Ascendant Evincar (MBC), Jenara, Glissa, Skullbriar, Ghave, Ghost Chouncil v.2, Melek

Myself & Ghave have fast mana starts, everyone else has a normal one. I have Phyrexian Arena & Liliana of the Dark Realms in play and draw into Death Cloud. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to Death Cloud everyone, including Ghave, to 0 permanents & 0 cards before activating Liliana and playing a land. Between her & Arena, I should be able to power ahead and take the game, right?

I decide to get greedy, allow everyone another turn of land drops before I totally nuke them so I tick up Liliana & pass the turn.

Ghave plays Sylvain Primordial. Melek, to my right has seen the Death Cloud in my hand and was obviously following my train of thought and laughing quietly to himself but, unfortunatly, was also drinking water when Ghave played the SP.

Luckily everyone sleeves up but there were some seriously annoyed players and somehow I got blamed for the resulting mess.

That'll teach me for getting greedy. :cry:

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 12:38 am 

zimagic wrote:
Ghave plays Sylvain Primordial. Melek, to my right has seen the Death Cloud in my hand and was obviously following my train of thought and laughing quietly to himself but, unfortunatly, was also drinking water when Ghave played the SP.

What happened? I guess the water somehow got spilled, but it's not clear from the story.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next