Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 4:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad EDH players/games
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 5:45 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Antis wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
Sounds like you need to talk to him about it so at the very least he is aware that he's causing issues.

I did.

Well you did say he was one of your best friends... That leaves the option of physical violence wide open.

And prolong the turns even more? No, thanks :P
Shabbaman wrote:
So build him a deck without tutors? Maybe that'll get the point across.

We once started a side game without him when he began comboing. I think that got the idea across :D
Also, we build budget decks and his is Horobi, Death's Wail that is mostly midrange aggro without tutors and that works fine.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2014-Feb-06 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 6:01 am 

Or perhaps you could try a hourglass, egg timer, chess clock...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 6:27 am 

Shabbaman wrote:

Chess clock EDH..... a buzzer that sounds to end turns!!!!

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 9:31 am 

Shabbaman wrote:

The MTGO 55-minute combined turn clock?

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 2:13 am 

i find all riku decks are like this, way too solitaire EDH for my liking, Riku is awesome, but too awesome. Its so easy to play it hurts, play stuff, copy it, blah blah. My mate has ruined him for me as he just ramps, ramps, ramps then casts stuff with his 30+ mana and copies it over and over. Can't imagine a more boring game tbh. Some generals just stretch games too much and cause unfavourable games IMO, tutor generals and generals that require too much time each turn like Riku does.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-08 8:15 am 

maiden77 wrote:
then casts stuff with his 30+ mana and copies it over and over.

Just checking - you know he can only copy each thing once, right? I ask because it sounds like you mean "Cast X, copy it 5 times", though you might be saying "cast X, copy it, cast Y, copy it, cast Z, copy it..." and I'm not sure.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 1:59 am 

yea, he has packed his deck with things that give him other things when he casts them, so most of the time, he ends up discarding if he hasn't found reliquary tower. He just sits on mountains of lands and cards. We wised up and started hitting him even though he had no presence and he got all bent outa shape. So now I just keep Riku off the table and thats that. No shennanigans.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-18 8:20 am 

I would like to share my progressive play group I started at my LGS earlier in March 2014. We originally started with just 4 people on Sunday to get together, pitch in $5 bucks, talk as much shit to each other as possible, have a great game and the winner would receive $15 store credit and 2nd place gets $5 for entry to next week. It was a great time, and then... it grew. I now have a static 10 players and often enough have 16-20 players attend to play. (7 of these players being completely new to the format with a couple veterans and others that have played before and gotten back into it.)

I found one gleaming example to culture of format: New players, make bad plays and play poorly.
-Often attacking the most vulnerable, underdeveloped player
-Cannot assess the board state
-Utilize bad passing techniques (great in standard) but seasoned EDH players read an fully untapped turn pass with extreme caution.
-etc.

What I have done as the organizer is place myself in a pod with the newest players or less skilled players. Then I can take the time to help them understand board state, where the threats are, how to plan over many turns, undo actions to be more beneficial instead of just 'burning' them with rules. If I win the pod, I split the money back to all participants. If I lose (which I often talk myself into) the newer player(s) keep their winnings.

The idea is to exemplify the formats social environment and develop smarter, better players through these 'underling' pods. They will have enough trial by fire, returning again and again to a welcoming committee and become as competitive as they wish later on. I have never had negative issues come up with people not wanting to play with others for EDH-Dbag moves. The community and the pod will often put people in check through consistent targeting and gang-ups, versus hissing and whining.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-27 1:04 pm 

Quote:
It's made me realize that in this format, it's not what cards you play with; it's who you play cards with.:

ALL the people i play EDH with play to win like this, I know of no other courtesy. They all have a NEED to have tournament worthy deck, (even though NO ONE EVER PLAYS IN ONE) no holding back winning at all costs, sure it's annoying sometimes but it's not that bad, it's the attitude of smugness and superiority that goes along with it that gets to me.

They all say they play for fun....BS, they play to win and they know it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-11 10:37 am 

I got called a d-bag last night. Heyyy this is also my first post!

First off, I only play MTGO or MODO or whatever you want to call it. I have a Melek deck that plays a lot of janky stuff and few actual win conditions. I don't play extra turn cards or Timetwister. Just lots of cantrips, a few ping cards here and there, Charmbreaker Devils, Past in Flames and a couple (2) storm cards.

The other players were playing one R/B Voldaren Vampires, Mono B Sheoldred, and a B/G deck, I don't remember the general.

R/B Vamps is mostly just building his board with mediocre aggro creatures (go figure) and tribal effects. Sheoldred does literally nothing but play a swamp and pass for the longest time. B/G gets out an early Mana Reflection, which helps him to power out a Tooth and Nail, Entwined. My first actual move besides building mana rocks and cantripping was Pact'ing that spell.

B/G keeps on slowly gaining ground on everyone, killing Sheoldred twice and wiping the board repeatedly. He ended up cracking a Disk after tapping out, Reanimating Mono B's Rune Scarred Demon, and then playing one of his own.

I saw a chance to move in and make a political play by Exhausting him and tapping out myself for Melek with Time Spiral in hand planning on throwing a big haymaker at B/G on my next turn.

B/R does his thing again, just plopping some creatures onto the 'field. Then freaking Sheoldred comes down on his turn. I just type in chat, "not cool bro, not cool" sac my Melek to the trigger, and throw all my spells at his head since I had decided to change targets.

After it's all said and done this guy is on 3 swamps due to Temporal Fissure that aren't going to untap his next turn due to Exhaustion and he drops the "d-bag" comment. I just say, "kill my Melek, feel my wrath".

Yeeeppp. Super long post, but that punk obviously did not understand the current political situation of the pod. I ended up winning a few turns later by sticking my Charmbreaker Devlis and pumping them into oblivion.

Yaaay.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-13 5:05 am 

yellowvanblake wrote:
I ended up winning

Yaaay.

Congrats.

Looks like you were at least a bit of a d-bag. I mean, even if a mean play had been targeted at you, it would probably have been the right call, considering that you were in good enough position to win the game a few turns later. AND Sheoldred isn't even a mean targeted play, it's just a solid board position engine that happened to force you to sac your Melek in this situation. So going berzerk land-destruction on a single player is an overreaction, one you could afford to do because you were so far ahead that you won anyway.

Not trying to be rude, and welcome to the forums by the way, just wanted to put it into perspective because it seems you were putting this story under the "Bad EDH players" thread because you think the Olivia player was bad, and that isn't my read.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-15 3:23 am 

Mono-white player casts Avacyn, Angel of Hope, his commander, followed by Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. I had no choice but to copy both of them with Stolen Identity ciphering Quag Vampires if I was looking forward to win the game. At this point, the other two players at the table conceded as they didn't consider facing two Norns and two Avacyns an interactive way of playing (and with good reason). We reached a standby, but fortunately for me, my commander was Vela the Night-Clad. Thanks to her intimidating ability (pun intended) and a Shizo, Death's Storehouse targeting my own Avacyn, I was able to defeat my mono-white opponent a couple turns later. At the end of the game, he revealed his hand to me: Wrath of God, Mass Calcify and Austere Command. Three freaking reset buttons on his hand! It became clear that this player didn't come looking for a casual game, which made me somehow happier to have beaten him with two of the most hated cards in the game (that he controlled).

Name: Enraged Wilds
General: Marath, Will of the Wild
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Draconic Domination
General: The Ur-Dragon
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-15 7:32 am 

intreped wrote:
yellowvanblake wrote:
I ended up winning

Yaaay.

Congrats.

Looks like you were at least a bit of a d-bag. I mean, even if a mean play had been targeted at you, it would probably have been the right call, considering that you were in good enough position to win the game a few turns later. AND Sheoldred isn't even a mean targeted play, it's just a solid board position engine that happened to force you to sac your Melek in this situation. So going berzerk land-destruction on a single player is an overreaction, one you could afford to do because you were so far ahead that you won anyway.

Not trying to be rude, and welcome to the forums by the way, just wanted to put it into perspective because it seems you were putting this story under the "Bad EDH players" thread because you think the Olivia player was bad, and that isn't my read.

Nah I don't think any of these players are bad. I was definitely the d-bag here seeing as how much mass land destruction (especially targeted) is frowned upon. I guess I sometimes feel bad about using it, but it's really just another win condition albeit one that is hated upon.

The others are Sphinx-Bone Wand, Charmbreaker Devils, and various burn spells sometimes backed by Eye of the Storm.

It can't go infinite, it can't beat infinite life or even copious amounts of lifegain except with mill maybe but that would be quite a chore, and unless I have a Time Spiral in hand, it is not capable of many big plays withough Melek being out.

Sure, Sheoldred is not specifically pointed at me. It is a good play for board position, but it also affected me the most. Since I had kind of "had this guy's back" earlier so to speak I didn't really like having to sac Melek my next upkeep, and the politics of the game makes me want to focus my attention solely on him now.

Was there a bad player at the game? Maybe me if you view Temporal Fissure as a bad move.

Maybe the Mono B player that dropped a Sheoldred and changed the target of my aggression away from the B/G player.

Maybe nobody, I guess I was just looking to talk about a game. If Sheoldred didn't get played, I would have probably wiped out the B/G player with his two Rune-Scarred Demons. Since he did, the story turned out a little different.

Sorry for coming off as a jerk though. Should I just cut Temporal Fissure? That card more than any other seems to turn noses up rather quickly.

Maluko wrote:
At the end of the game, he revealed his hand to me: Wrath of God, Mass Calcify and Austere Command. Three freaking reset buttons on his hand! It became clear that this player didn't come looking for a casual game, which made me somehow happier to have beaten him with two of the most hated cards in the game (that he controlled).

Makes you wonder why or how he did not cast them?

Last edited by yellowvanblake on 2014-Dec-15 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-15 8:12 am 

yellowvanblake wrote:
Maluko wrote:
At the end of the game, he revealed his hand to me: Wrath of God, Mass Calcify and Austere Command. Three freaking reset buttons on his hand! It became clear that this player didn't come looking for a casual game, which made me somehow happier to have beaten him with two of the most hated cards in the game (that he controlled).
Makes you wonder why or how he did not cast them?
Because Avacyn,?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-15 8:56 am 

Ohhh lol. Reading helps. My bad.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next