Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-05 8:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad EDH players/games
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-29 11:32 am 

Gravy wrote:
My only recent bad player story a guy at my college who refuses to believe cards don't work the way they do, doesn't clip his nails and constantly smells of sweat, his breath always stinks as well. That's all kind of on top of.. cheating blatantly (looking through his library MID-GAME for no reason whatsoever) not believing cards do what they don't do (I mean, we all mis-read our cards from time to time, or even misunderstand what they do if they're old enough, but just disregarding everything..) and making 'table-talk' that mostly consists of obnoxiously giggling and mocking his opponents when he's winning. He'll yell "COUNTERED!" and do this snide little 'ha.. ha.. ha' every single time he counters something, even if someone is completely baiting him so they can resolve a spell that they actually care about.. And complaining loudly when he's losing. Oh, and if someone dares to play combo around him, he makes the person play it out. If said player demonstrates it properly - then points out the obvious, still. He considers people scooping out of a game for any reason to mean they lost and he won.. every single time. I don't think anyone here hates combo enough to sit through it and make the person go through the motions if they can demonstrate they know how it works..

why dont you just quit hanging out with him then...I cant imagine ANYONE actually likes him

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-29 11:49 am 

Shoe, I have no idea. I avoid him, but occasionally I'll get a 4 player game going, and he'll want in.. and no one has any desire to get yelled at by the guy, so we just grin and bear it. No one likes him outside of a source of slight amusement because he's such an emotionally ugly person, but no one has it in them to just tell him go the fuck away either. I usually only have to tolerate him once or twice a week in a game when I'm at the college. I'd never play with the guy if I saw him at a game store, he'd probably get kicked out because someone would actually try and make him follow the rules.

Side-note: I'm going to probably write down the loose house ban list for Games and Gizmos in Redmond next time I'm there, I think it'd be a good idea to get it down in the roll-call thread so most people have a heads up of what to expect out of the shop. I'll need to PM it to you, so expect that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-29 12:01 pm 

Gravy wrote:
Shoe, I have no idea. I avoid him, but occasionally I'll get a 4 player game going, and he'll want in.. and no one has any desire to get yelled at by the guy, so we just grin and bear it. No one likes him outside of a source of slight amusement because he's such an emotionally ugly person, but no one has it in them to just tell him go the fuck away either. I usually only have to tolerate him once or twice a week in a game when I'm at the college. I'd never play with the guy if I saw him at a game store, he'd probably get kicked out because someone would actually try and make him follow the rules.

Side-note: I'm going to probably write down the loose house ban list for Games and Gizmos in Redmond next time I'm there, I think it'd be a good idea to get it down in the roll-call thread so most people have a heads up of what to expect out of the shop. I'll need to PM it to you, so expect that.

you could always just agree to play in a different spot on campus. If he dosnt know where you are , then he cant play :P

G&G we don't have a banned list so much as a prefered playstyle. No infinite combos, no mass LD/land hozing...no lockout strategies....basically play and let play

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-29 12:07 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Gravy wrote:

you could always just agree to play in a different spot on campus. If he dosnt know where you are , then he cant play :P

G&G we don't have a banned list so much as a prefered playstyle. No infinite combos, no mass LD/land hozing...no lockout strategies....basically play and let play

Depends on who you talk to, some people will just ask that you draw another card if you play certain cards (Sundering Titan comes to mind, and has since left my decks whenever I'm there).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-29 12:21 pm 

Gravy wrote:
Shoe wrote:
Gravy wrote:

Depends on who you talk to, some people will just ask that you draw another card if you play certain cards (Sundering Titan comes to mind, and has since left my decks whenever I'm there).

titan does in fact tend to lock players out. He is almost always recurred when he is in a deck and he prevents others from playing the game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-29 8:24 pm 

@Mr. Freeze

...*sigh* Oh people.

I was just perusing the roll call forum and notice you posted in the Relentless Dragon's thread http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2421, I hope it wasn't there. Usually the meta and the regulars at the dragon are a bit better than that.. :shock:

Animar, Soul of Elements | Animoo
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-30 1:45 pm 

No, these stories don't take place at the Dragon. They take place in MA.

And if you go to the Dragon, and have a Asuza deck...that means you are Corey!

Current Decks:

Tsabo Tavoc

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-30 6:27 pm 

Nopes! I'm Jerry :D If you've ever been there when Ryan was working or when Jill used to work you might've seen me up towards the front. I just built my Azusa deck on.. Monday I think. It's still in it's baby stages and is mostly proxies for the time being.

Animar, Soul of Elements | Animoo
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-30 9:39 pm 

Fortunate enough to avoid bad players and plays. Usually it's someone new who doesn't understand the stack and timing like the rest of us do. Or some other rules question. I guess that's the point of this thread.

Nothing horrible.

Generally commanding Captain Sisay and Karn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-01 3:09 am 

I made a bad play last weekend.

I was tired, it was the 5th or 6th game of the day, I don't even remember what deck I was playing, but I do know it was 4-player friendly against amongst others, a friend's Uril deck, with a large dose of LD included. Knight of the Reliquary, Terravore, etc. He strip mines a land of mine, I'm down to 5 or 6 mana. I'm struggling on, mildly mana-deficient, making plays. Turn goes round, then my friend slaps down Crucible of Worlds, and something snaps inside. I scoop. Never done it before, but I just couldn't see the purpose anymore. I didn't bother to wait and see if a answer was available, or check if the others where doing anything. I just didn't want to put myself through an hour long pointless slog. I don't think he was even going to target my lands that turn. It just didn't matter.

Wish I hadn't, but there it is.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-01 10:43 am 

Asterios wrote:
Nopes! I'm Jerry :D If you've ever been there when Ryan was working or when Jill used to work you might've seen me up towards the front. I just built my Azusa deck on.. Monday I think. It's still in it's baby stages and is mostly proxies for the time being.

Ah. I'm Julian, the guy with the Bruin cap, glasses and the short temper. I'm ususally in on Sundays and Thursday nights.
green slime wrote:
I made a bad play last weekend.

I was tired, it was the 5th or 6th game of the day, I don't even remember what deck I was playing, but I do know it was 4-player friendly against amongst others, a friend's Uril deck, with a large dose of LD included. Knight of the Reliquary, Terravore, etc. He strip mines a land of mine, I'm down to 5 or 6 mana. I'm struggling on, mildly mana-deficient, making plays. Turn goes round, then my friend slaps down Crucible of Worlds, and something snaps inside. I scoop. Never done it before, but I just couldn't see the purpose anymore. I didn't bother to wait and see if a answer was available, or check if the others where doing anything. I just didn't want to put myself through an hour long pointless slog. I don't think he was even going to target my lands that turn. It just didn't matter.

Wish I hadn't, but there it is.

To be fair, LD is annoying as hell to play against. I'm not gonna attack you for scooping that game, because I'll be fucked if I'm gonna sit through 10 turns not doing much of anything.

Current Decks:

Tsabo Tavoc

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-02 3:52 pm 

So I finally have some time to tell my next story: The Tale of Dick McUnshaven and Teferi, Mage of Zahlfer

Same store as before, but set a week before. Similar setup, too: I see a table and walk over. 1v1.

The player was the size of a walrus, had a hilariously patchy and uncleaned beard (hence the nickname) and smelled terrible. But that's not what made me think something was up...no, it was the fact that he brought out Teferi, and grinned like a idiot at me.

"I'm sorry...but this deck doesn't lose" he said.

I put on my-my-my p-p-pokerface puh-puh-pokerface, and put my Mimeoplasm deck on the table. The game started.

My first few turns were ok. The problem started Turn 6, when a literal ton of shit hit the figurative fan: Knowledge Pool comes into play. The previous turn, this guy put Teferi onto the board AKA No Instants For You. Now, the situation was No Spells For You Ever, And I Hate You To Death.

I gulped. This guy just countered me out of my own game. Well shit, sometimes that happens. I begin scooping and say "Pretty cool, but what's your usual Win-Con?"

He grins again, as if we were both having the times of our lives. "Nothing. I just like preventing people from doing anything!". He extended his hand, expecting me to shake it.

I was frozen in place. He had no Win-Con, he just liked to be an dickhead. And he did it with the most god damn trollish commander Mono-Blue could offer.

The words sank into my psyche as if they were branded in with a red-hot iron.

"Nothing. I just like preventing people from doing anything!"

Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

Current Decks:

Tsabo Tavoc

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-02 4:34 pm 

He could um....attack with teferi as his win-con?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-03 6:31 pm 

I have a few tales of my own to tell.

My friends and I are extreme EDH fanatics, and play every Tuesday night and Sunday day. One of my friends organised an EDH tournament at our local store. The tournament was balanced around achievements (1pt for killing a top, many others) to keep it fun as well as competitive. Four rounds, pods of 5, and a top 5. Prizes and everything.

So I am in my pod with my Omnath, Locus of Manadeck (I posted it in Decklists, it should be up shortly if anyone is interested), which, while being only mono green, is honed to the balls. I am here to win baby. But I am also laughing, talking to people, and I LOVE EDH. I am looking at other people's decks, complementing them, buying people cokes, weeing myself from excitement, the whole lot.

So anyway, I ramp to seven mana in my pod, and rip a Sundering Titan off the top. It is a good card for a green mage (I LOVE GREEN) in a tournament setting- it buys me valuable time against combo and lockdown. I play it, taking a plains/swamp/island from this one dude. He was the only player with those lands at the time, and it was a good play to mess him up regardless. He cracked, swore at me, picked up his stuff and left. Approximately half an hour later he returned and apologised. (Apology accepted- I was not happy though)

I believe that if you are in an EDH tourney, anything goes man. I got to the finals and someone comboed out on t6 with Time Spiral into Tooth and Nail for Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger and Palinchron I still had fun. I kicked up no stink. I still had a good time.

I think that EDH is EDH, sometimes games drag on for hours and are wars of attrition, and sometimes a player combos out. Sometimes you get three of your lands sundered. I laugh no matter what happens. If I have ONE LAND, I will laugh.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-03 7:21 pm 

I love it when people tefei knowelege pool lock me, becuse they made their 20-30 counter spells dead cards!

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next