Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 3:26 am

Post subject: Happy
AgePosted: 2013-Apr-24 7:29 pm 

Yes, I'm happy. Happy, because I just got hold of a Phyrexian Tower. Maybe I could've tried harder and got hold of it sooner, as it isn't the rarest of cards. It's not an easy card to get though, every time I shop I check for availability and I haven't seen a shop (in Holland) that had them in store. We're talking years, not months.

The thing is, I had a Phyrexian Tower years ago. I started playing when Ice Age was brand new, but between Visions and Nemesis my M:TG involvement was... well, hibernating. During that time my collection of M:TG related items increased mostly because of the Inquest magazine I bought regularly. Around the time Nemesis was released, Inquest printed a deck with Delraich. If you know Inquest, you probably know that the decks they wrote about are usually untested (I doubt any of the writers ever, and hence pretty terrible. That's besides the point though. What triggered me was the picture of Delraich and it's accompanying quote: "tastes like chicken". I might have a poor sense of humor, but I found that to be entertaining. The goal of the deck was to cheat Delraich into play and proceed to win. Cheating it into play involved Sengir Autocrat (Gargamel and the smurfs), a card I owned because I invested heavily in Homelands boosters to get that illusive Baron Sengir. Anyway, I went out and got a Phyrexian Tower. Not long after I discovered that the deck sucked, and that playing a four mana card to get a 6/6 sucks (the idea might seem laughable now, but creatures generally had a higher casting cost then), that rebels suck (but that Massacre is great), that Masques block sucks. I was saved by Invasion block. Invasion meant that Phyrexian Tower rotated from standard, so it went in my binder. I think I traded it for an Entomb or something, I don't recall exactly. But at least after 10 years and more, I own a Phyrexian Tower again.

Online Profile  

Post subject: Re: Happy
AgePosted: 2013-Apr-24 8:23 pm 

Well done, that's a great feeling.

About 10 days ago I also traded for one of the cards that I love in this game, my first Vindicate. I started playing in 1996 and played pretty constantly but I never opened, bought or managed to trade for a Vindicate. One Russian Karn Liberated later and I'm the happy owner of my very first Vindicte (and a Smokestack). I actually have no plans to play it or a deck it will fit into right now, but I have a Vindicate. Yay!

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 2:28 am 

I'm pretty happy too. I just bought a full set of 40 Revised Duals off ebay. Go tax return season!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 2:32 am 

eeesh, I miss getting tax money back.

I just blew all my birthday cash on a Savannah and an All Hallow's Eve.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 3:22 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
I'm pretty happy too. I just bought a full set of 40 Revised Duals off ebay. Go tax return season!

I envy your ability to blow your tax return on cards. Mine went to credit card bills, doctor bills, house bills, more credit card bills, car repair...

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 3:25 am 

Mine have gone to, and will go to, Tuition, books, rent, food and gas.

A few dozen dollars a month go to Mtg.

I don't envy people who can blow their wad all over playsets of duals, but I wish they would stop fucking bragging about it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 4:16 am 

This past weekend I went through about three thousand random cards from...probably around Onslaught to present for one of the local card shops. I basically was pulling out any cards she could reasonably make money from (meaning 50-cent cards and up, although she's going to go back through them and probably dump a lot of the 50-cent ones), separate them from the rest, and then organize the rest by color.

I probably pulled out about 100-150 cards out for her, and then another 40-ish I was going to buy for random casual decks and other things. I think there was only two cards over two bucks, but probably ten of them being the one to two buck range. All the rest were a good 50 cents each. She doesn't know anything about prices without looking them up, and probably would have had to look up all of them to find anything. So she only had me pay fifteen for the ones I picked out.

I was honestly quite happy that day. I will admit I did it mostly for the opportunity to possibly grab some cards I wanted (I feel weird having to buy really cheap commons and uncommons online), but I didn't expect the discount.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 4:20 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

I envy your ability to blow your tax return on cards. Mine went to credit card bills, doctor bills, house bills, more credit card bills, car repair...

Oh, I have about $15k in debt in various forms I'm trying to dig out from under... but I am stupid and tend to chose Magic over real adult things.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 8:20 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

Oh, I have about $15k in debt in various forms I'm trying to dig out from under... but I am stupid and tend to chose Magic over real adult things.

It's all just paper they bury you with at the end if the day.

I'm not very happy, but this thread is pretty awesome.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 9:06 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Oh, I have about $15k in debt in various forms I'm trying to dig out from under... but I am stupid and tend to chose Magic over real adult things

I had a buddy who was just out of high school and out on his own for the first time in his life. He was sharing a crappy apartment in one of the less appealing neighborhoods in Nashua (note for non NewHamshireites - Nashua is considered a city here. It has maybe 90,000 - 100,000 people, and no buildings over 5 or so stories tall.) Anyhoo, they were barely making rent, since it seemed they were incapable of holding down jobs at the same time. I got off the phone with my friend, who was getting yelled at by the landlord for no rent, walk into the LGS... and there's his roommate opening a booster box. I really, really wanted to punch his brainless lights out.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 9:20 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:
Oh, I have about $15k in debt in various forms I'm trying to dig out from under... but I am stupid and tend to chose Magic over real adult things

I had a buddy who was just out of high school and out on his own for the first time in his life. He was sharing a crappy apartment in one of the less appealing neighborhoods in Nashua (note for non NewHamshireites - Nashua is considered a city here. It has maybe 90,000 - 100,000 people, and no buildings over 5 or so stories tall.) Anyhoo, they were barely making rent, since it seemed they were incapable of holding down jobs at the same time. I got off the phone with my friend, who was getting yelled at by the landlord for no rent, walk into the LGS... and there's his roommate opening a booster box. I really, really wanted to punch his brainless lights out.

This gave me a sadd. FU for bringing me down and describing violence upon someone in a happy thread.

Back to happy thoughts: chicken is delicious! Thank you for that reminder, Sid. RIP.

p.s. finally got a foil Razor Barrier. Just a common but it was hard for me to find for some reason...

Most famous article: Breaking Phage

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc ... Phage.html

Personal Favorite: pWN3D: Recollections of Spectacular Defeats in Multiplayer Magic

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/mult ... Magic.html

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 9:27 am 

IGottaBigDeck wrote:
Back to happy thoughts: chicken is delicious! Thank you for that reminder, Sid.

I like me with barbeque sauce.

Tried to find the SNL fake commercial "Cluckin' Chicken" but (amazingly) it doesn't seem to be on youtube.
IGottaBigDeck wrote:
RIP.

I'm like the giant chicken in family guy. I keep coming back.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-25 9:31 am 

This week I got a Spanish Lotus Petal to complete my Spanish playset. I have extra Portuguese ones from trading with people who thought their cards were Spanish, so I was happy to finally get the fourth Spanish copy. Now all I need is one more Italian one to complete my global playset.

Check out my Blog: CommanderAlters
Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CommanderAlters
View my Gallery
See my available alters Here

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-07 8:00 pm 

Last week I finally got my hands on an Argivian Archaeologist. It took me like forever to find that one. First no one wanted to trade it to me, then this guy who would sell me his archaelogist suddenly sold it to someone else... And now I finally got it. Yay! :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-08 12:18 am 

This is a great story.
I'm about to "finish" foiling my new Iname, Death Aspect duel deck...Lotus Bloom, Sol Ring and Demonic Tutor are going to be rough heh. :)

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile