Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Sep-25 3:16 am

Post subject: Re: Viperions New and Improved Deck Building Challenge of DOOM!
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-14 6:00 pm 

Having now actually spent some time sorting it out, I'm going to go with these for the four colour decks:

WUBR Akiri and Silas Renn (Artifacts/Equipment)
UBRG Ydris (Non-W storm)
BRGW Ravos and Tana tokens(?)
RGWU Kynaios and Tiro
GWUB Ishai and Reyhan (+1/+1 counters)

Which means I won't re-build Damia as Storm, so I have a gap there. I'm also unsure who's going to lead the Grixis Wizards/Spells deck yet. Any suggestions?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-14 9:44 pm 

I've had a lot of success with Inalla. You'd be surprised at some creatures that happen to be wizards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 6:19 am 

Yeah, she's the default commander for the Wizards pre-con and she's a lot of fun - but I don't know that she's necessarily any good. It's a very durdly deck but out of the box it doesn't really do anything ;) I've narrowed it down to either her or Kess, I'm leaning towards Kess at the moment with Inalla in the 99 but that could easily get reversed simply because Inalla has Eminence and Kess doesn't.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 11:06 am 

The thing with Kess is she seems to get really overplayed and the deck kinda warps itself at times.
With Inalla, you've got a lot of room to just explore stuff, even ignoring turn-taking shenanigans.
You might end up being the Archenemy at times, though.

Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 12:15 pm 

My group treats me like the Archenemy anyway (it's one of the reasons I'm looking for more players for the group). I've been playing longer than anyone else and a couple of the guys are REALLY bad at assessing threats, so they go for me because I'm always up to something.... even when I'm mana screwed and three turns behind everyone else :roll:

I got sick of being picked on and killed first so I broke out Rafiq and killed the table by turn 7, which admittedly probably hasn't helped my cause much :P The lesson was supposed to be "I can beat you all if I have to you know" but I suspect it was "see? He is dangerous let's kill him" instead :roll: :twisted:

I went through and started making the Grixis list last night; haven't really looked at Wizards (for Inalla) yet but did pick up some good "instants and sorceries matter" type cards (for Kess). Will have a look at Wizards and see what's what

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 1:45 pm 

Some fun triggers to copy with Inalla (to seat your opinion):

None of those are from the precons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 2:37 pm 

Trying to figure out the best way to use Wanderwine Prophets, given there probably won't be a ton of merfolk in the deck.

• Play WP
  • Inalla and WP (champion)trigger; stack WP first, then Inalla
  • Inalla's trigger resolves, pay 1, put another WP on to the battlefield
  • WP2 champion trigger
  • Champion the first WP
  • First WP trigger tries to resolve, don't champion anything, game tries to sacrifice the first WP but it's not in play
  • Attack with hasty WP2
  • On combat damage, sac WP2 to get another turn
  • First WP comes back into play
  • WP and Inalla trigger

But at that point I've already had a combat step, and if I choose to pay for Inalla's trigger the token disappears at EOT so there's nothing to be gained there. And if I don't have another Merfolk in play, I have to sac the original WP
Basically, it's 5UU and reliant on getting combat through to take an extra turn.

Did I miss something?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 8:51 pm 

At end of turn (If you pay for another token at end of combat), Inalla will trigger again when the real Prophet comes back into play, letting you copy it and champion the original, and since it's the end step already, the token will last through the next turn (presumably your extra one).

Essentially, it's 7UU (and {3} each following turn) for infinite turns using the combat step.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-16 8:58 am 

On the one hand you're absolutely right.

On the other hand, infinite turns (i.e. I will* win the game, I'm just not sure when) are right up there with "pulling my fingernails out with needlenose pliers" as things I want to do so.... I'll consider it, but probably won't end up using it.

* Yes it can be removed at instant speed but if my opponents don't do it on the original turn or the first extra turn, chances are they can't stop it at all)

Offline Profile