[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Random Chatter about Books (and stuff)

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 4:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Chatter about Books (and stuff)
AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 8:58 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 10:52 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 1:53 am 

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 2:28 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 3:08 am 

I'm a huge Tolkien nerd. Read LotR once a year since the fourth grade. Read all the books Chris Tolkien put out. Love it all (except for the franchising of it. Loathe it

Not a high fantasy fan. Can't handle WoT. Couldn't finish Sword of Truth series. Even Witcher 3 is beating me down. I wish it weren't so but I've come to accept it. I love elements of it which is why I think I really get into urban fantasy.

Anyone into post-apocalyptic / survival type books?

Currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's an acceptable read so far. That's about it. A bit fantasyish with the bad guys for my taste but solid characters.

Next on my list is One Year After the follow up to William Forstchen's One Second After. It follows a character surviving during an EMP blast that takes down the US power grid. It's a bit worst-case-scenario but is eye opening for sure. Congress even said One Second After is a book all Americans should read.

-> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 5:08 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 6:21 am 

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 7:04 am 

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 12:53 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 12:29 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 4:30 am 

Silo added to my list.

Dan Simmons, writer of the amazing Hyperion Cantos, wrote a book called The Terror. It's about the Franklin expedition to the Arctic. Follows the two ships HMS Terror and HMS Erebus. It's a great read! Explorers only recently found the real HMS Terror last Sept.

On a historical note, James Clavell's Shogun should be on everyone's top 10 list. Richard Chamberlain starred in the movie but the book is broad and sweeping. Anyone interested in early Japanese culture or Samurai in general should read it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 3:57 pm 

Yeah, the whole Shogun Series (6 books total IIRC) is up there.

If you like Future Urban Fantasy, have you checked out Empire by Orson Scott Card? US Second civil war isn't North Vs South, it's Left vs Right...

And if you like Fantasy, that isn't too "High Fantasy" you might check out Age of Fire series by E.E. Knight. Dragon Champion is book one. The books are from the Dragons POV.

First trilogy, with the first chapter being the same in each (from different POV of course), follows a group of hatchlings where intruders raid the cave and kill the parents. Then each book follows one of the survivors (AuRon, Wistala and the Copper) from hatchling to drake to adult Dragon.

The second Trilogy is not bad (just not as good as the first trilogy), but brings back all three of the original characters. As dragons who have been in hiding from the hominid races because of extinction hunting finally come back into the world.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 12:59 am 

Shogun is just one book. Clavell has others that are similar but I couldn't get into them.

I have a hard time reading Card. I think he peaked at Ender's Shadow. Even all the pre-stuff of the formic war isn't super.

From the dragon's perspective is an interesting twist! I'll check it out when I get back to fantasy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 4:23 am 

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 5:36 am 

I tried King Rat and Noble House. Neither had enough depth to keep me going.

Yeah, read through Tales of the Otori. It was alright. Probably wouldn't read again, but it was good enough to finish.

Looked over my goodreads list and ran across The Postman - David Brin. Don't let the movie through you off. It's a great read!

Speaking of not letting a movie sour a book...Battlefield Earth. One of my all time favorites. I know its Hubbard but he was first and foremost a sci-fi author and he hit this one out of the park.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next