Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-24 4:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Chatter about Books (and stuff)
AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 8:58 pm 

zimagic wrote:
Nigerian Prince wrote:
I loved Robert Jordan (and especially Brandon Sanderson)'s Wheel of Time series. Classic epic high fantasy, extended world building, and tons of inspiration to build decks :D We house ruled Huntmaster of the Fells to be legendary, so I could build a Perrin Aybara, Wolfsbrother deck.

I read the whole series up to Jordan's death about 2-4 times but dropped it when they switched. Didn't touch it for years until my sister told me to finish it and gave me her copies. Now I wish Sanderson had written the entire series and not just the last 3 books.

Sanderson did a great job on the Wheel of Time series, however I have a small gripe with the (understandable) change in writing of a few characters, most prominently found in Mat Cauthon. At the same time, the pace of the story improved a lot in those books (although we'll never know how Jordan would have handled it).
The Wheel of Time is so epic and awesome on so many levels, for me very few fantasy series come close to it. It had everything I was looking for as an avid Tolkien reader, and more.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 10:52 pm 

zimagic wrote:
... Now I wish Sanderson had written the entire series and not just the last 3 books.

Ssssshhhh!!! Some WoT-fans are very sensitive about this, and dwell the internets with torches and pitchforks to eradicate heretics like you!

But I fully agree with you, Sanderson totally saved the series

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 1:53 am 

lumination wrote:
Sanderson did a great job on the Wheel of Time series, however I have a small gripe with the (understandable) change in writing of a few characters, most prominently found in Mat Cauthon. At the same time, the pace of the story improved a lot in those books (although we'll never know how Jordan would have handled it).

How so? Mat was always the want-a-way, grass is always greener, unwilling leader with these amazing battle memories. It's only normal that he gets to use them. I'd have singled out Perrin as a bigger change. He goes from reluctant to confident in about 2 pages and never wavers from there on.

The lest 3 books were gripping and shocking and exciting in a way that the first 11 were for the most part not. Still rich and interesting, just a much slower pace.

I wonder what the TV adaptation will be like.

Nigerian Prince wrote:
Ssssshhhh!!! Some WoT-fans are very sensitive about this, and dwell the internets with torches and pitchforks to eradicate heretics like you!

But I fully agree with you, Sanderson totally saved the series

Of course. I was merely playing devils advocate and by no means endorse my initial statement. :wink:

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 2:28 am 

zimagic wrote:
lumination wrote:

How so? Mat was always the want-a-way, grass is always greener, unwilling leader with these amazing battle memories. It's only normal that he gets to use them. I'd have singled out Perrin as a bigger change. He goes from reluctant to confident in about 2 pages and never wavers from there on.

It's very subtle, not so much about how he acts but rather how he thinks and talks.
Apparently Brandon Sanderson is active on reddit, and commented on that very subject (source):

Quote:
Mat is difficult to put a finger on, for multiple reasons. One one hand, I loved writing him, particularly in the second two books where I got a better feel for how RJ had been doing him mechanically. On the other hand, I think that RJ just had an "instinct" for Mat that I just don't have, one that he couldn't explain in his notes. Unlike other characters, whose motives could be boiled down and pinpointed, Mat simply WAS.

This is different from, for example, my Lan or my Talmanes--which I'll argue all day were on target, despite complaints from some readers. With those, you're simply getting one fan's read of a character that is different from another fan's read--and I believe my read is right. (Just like any fan would think.)

With Mat, it's more that there was some piece of RJ's soul in him that simply can't be reproduced. I wrote a Mat that I like, that I think is awesome, and that was a blast to have in the books--but at the end of the day, it's an alternate-world version of Mat, like one who slipped through from a mirror world.

Now, we should probably stop derailing this thread further. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 3:08 am 

I'm a huge Tolkien nerd. Read LotR once a year since the fourth grade. Read all the books Chris Tolkien put out. Love it all (except for the franchising of it. Loathe it

Not a high fantasy fan. Can't handle WoT. Couldn't finish Sword of Truth series. Even Witcher 3 is beating me down. I wish it weren't so but I've come to accept it. I love elements of it which is why I think I really get into urban fantasy.

Anyone into post-apocalyptic / survival type books?

Currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's an acceptable read so far. That's about it. A bit fantasyish with the bad guys for my taste but solid characters.

Next on my list is One Year After the follow up to William Forstchen's One Second After. It follows a character surviving during an EMP blast that takes down the US power grid. It's a bit worst-case-scenario but is eye opening for sure. Congress even said One Second After is a book all Americans should read.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 5:08 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
Couldn't finish Sword of Truth series

Did you find any of it enjoyable? I was a big fan of the first two books.

I think I need to start reading again. Talking about my favorite fiction from 20-ish years ago is making me feel both old and out of touch.

Re: science nonfiction, can anyone recommend material for someone who really enjoyed Brian Greene's books?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 6:21 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
Currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's an acceptable read so far. That's about it. A bit fantasyish with the bad guys for my taste but solid characters.

That the one with the vampire-types? Good enough Vampire yarn.

One short story that I absolutely love that's not been mentionned yet is Stephen King's "The Long Walk". Nothing horror-based about it, just a future world that's broken down enough for a winner takes all style competition to be an acceptably believeable plot point. In this case a group of kids start walking and the last boy walking wins. Everyone else gets a bullet in the head. Gets me every time.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 7:04 am 

zimagic wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:

That the one with the vampire-types? Good enough Vampire yarn.

One short story that I absolutely love that's not been mentionned yet is Stephen King's "The Long Walk". Nothing horror-based about it, just a future world that's broken down enough for a winner takes all style competition to be an acceptably believeable plot point. In this case a group of kids start walking and the last boy walking wins. Everyone else gets a bullet in the head. Gets me every time.

Yeah, didn't know it was vampires going into it but like you said, good enough.

Love the Bachman books! Long Walk is my favorite. Wish the Running Man movie was more like the book.

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 12:53 pm 

scatteredsun wrote:

Have you read any of Hugh Howey's Silo series? I tried out "Wool" a while back, which is the first book, and I thought it was fairly interesting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 12:29 am 

Segrus wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:

Have you read any of Hugh Howey's Silo series? I tried out "Wool" a while back, which is the first book, and I thought it was fairly interesting.

I read the series last year. I would definitely say it's worth finishing.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 4:30 am 

Silo added to my list.

Dan Simmons, writer of the amazing Hyperion Cantos, wrote a book called The Terror. It's about the Franklin expedition to the Arctic. Follows the two ships HMS Terror and HMS Erebus. It's a great read! Explorers only recently found the real HMS Terror last Sept.

On a historical note, James Clavell's Shogun should be on everyone's top 10 list. Richard Chamberlain starred in the movie but the book is broad and sweeping. Anyone interested in early Japanese culture or Samurai in general should read it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 3:57 pm 

Yeah, the whole Shogun Series (6 books total IIRC) is up there.

If you like Future Urban Fantasy, have you checked out Empire by Orson Scott Card? US Second civil war isn't North Vs South, it's Left vs Right...

And if you like Fantasy, that isn't too "High Fantasy" you might check out Age of Fire series by E.E. Knight. Dragon Champion is book one. The books are from the Dragons POV.

First trilogy, with the first chapter being the same in each (from different POV of course), follows a group of hatchlings where intruders raid the cave and kill the parents. Then each book follows one of the survivors (AuRon, Wistala and the Copper) from hatchling to drake to adult Dragon.

The second Trilogy is not bad (just not as good as the first trilogy), but brings back all three of the original characters. As dragons who have been in hiding from the hominid races because of extinction hunting finally come back into the world.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 12:59 am 

Shogun is just one book. Clavell has others that are similar but I couldn't get into them.

I have a hard time reading Card. I think he peaked at Ender's Shadow. Even all the pre-stuff of the formic war isn't super.

From the dragon's perspective is an interesting twist! I'll check it out when I get back to fantasy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 4:23 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
Shogun is just one book. Clavell has others that are similar but I couldn't get into them.

True it's not a traditional series, but Clavell considers then a series.

Asian Saga

Wikipedia wrote:
The name Asian Saga was first applied to the series after Shōgun had been published. The purpose of the Asian Saga was, according to Clavell— [who is a] descendant of a family long in service to the British Empire, and who was a prisoner of war of the Japanese during World War II—to tell "the story of the Anglo-Saxon in Asia."

In publication order, the books are:
King Rat (1962)
Tai-Pan (1966)
Shōgun (1975)
Noble House (1981)
Whirlwind (1986)
Gai-Jin (1993)

The books are listed by internal chronology below:
Shōgun: set in feudal Japan, 1600.
Tai-Pan: set in Hong Kong, 1841.
Gai-Jin: set in Japan, 1862.
King Rat: set in a Japanese POW camp, Singapore, 1945.
Noble House: set in Hong Kong, 1963.
Whirlwind: set in Iran, 1979.

The takeaway is, in my opinion, that because it's not a true series, so you can just read the volumes with settings that interest you. The first three (chronologically) were my favorites.

On a tangential note: If you enjoyed Shogun, you may enjoy Lian Hearn's Fantasy series "Tales of the Otori." It is fantasy (not set in Earth's Japan) but is meant to be an allegory to early influence of Western Christians in Fuedal Japan (they also never call the persecuted "faith" Christianity, but all the markers are there).

Basically it's a world with limited magic, and feels very much like feudal Japan without ever using the words Samurai, Ninja, Shogun, Christian, Westerner, Asian. Book 1 is "Across the Nightingale Floor"

Amazon Description wrote:
In his black-walled fortress at Inuyama, the warlord Iida Sadamu surveys his famous nightingale floor. Constructed with exquisite skill, it sings at the tread of each human foot. No assassin can cross it unheard.
The youth Takeo has been brought up in a remote mountain village among the Hidden, a reclusive and spiritual people who have taught him only the ways of peace. But unbeknownst to him, his father was a celebrated assassin and a member of the Tribe, an ancient network of families with extraordinary, preternatural skills. When Takeo's village is pillaged, he is rescued and adopted by the mysterious Lord Otori Shigeru. Under the tutelage of Shigeru, he learns that he too possesses the skills of the Tribe. And, with this knowledge, he embarks on a journey that will lead him across the famed nightingale floor—and to his own unimaginable destiny

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 5:36 am 

I tried King Rat and Noble House. Neither had enough depth to keep me going.

Yeah, read through Tales of the Otori. It was alright. Probably wouldn't read again, but it was good enough to finish.

Looked over my goodreads list and ran across The Postman - David Brin. Don't let the movie through you off. It's a great read!

Speaking of not letting a movie sour a book...Battlefield Earth. One of my all time favorites. I know its Hubbard but he was first and foremost a sci-fi author and he hit this one out of the park.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next