Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-13 5:45 am

Post subject: sheldon's most recent article
AgePosted: 2019-Jan-03 12:52 pm 

http://www.starcitygames.com/articles/3 ... ayers.html

What SCG Con Taught Sheldon About Commander And Its Players

It's interesting to see his reactions to some of the more "competitive" players. No surprise about Sol ring.

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: sheldon's most recent article
AgePosted: 2019-Jan-03 2:02 pm 

Quote:
People that play antisocial decks aren't inherently antisocial themselves.

Or they are just very good at pretending. Many serial killers can also play nice when they want to do so...

Seriously though, I wonder how they react when locked out themselves. My (admittedly limited) experience has been that those who champion the "anything legal goes" mantra are the first and loudest to complain when you do something they don't like*.

Nice article. Not surprised about Sol Ring. Would have liked it if Sheldon had his deck listed with his opponents' (e.g. what was he playing when facing down Tuvasa the Sunlit, Ghave, Guru of Spores, and Ravos, Soultender / Tana, the Bloodsower in game three)

*Example: A Memnarch player had his Palinchron exiled while trying for "infinite mana - steal all permanents without shroud/hexproof" combo; then threw a fit because I stole three creatures (exactly one from each opponent) with Peer Pressure and Olivia Voldaren (6URRR cost over two turns with my Garza Zol vampire tribal)

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-04 11:46 am 

Competitive decks are meant to be played against other competitive decks. If everyone is broken, no one is.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-08 10:15 am 

Exactly. Power level discrepancies lead to bad games WAY more often than people who are just jerks.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-22 1:20 am 

Why do I like the RC (and Sheldon in particular)?

Because of things like this:

"One thing that I hope the CAG can truly contribute to is eliminating some of the polarization that's happened within the format, the longstanding competitive versus casual argument. I confess that in the past, I've fanned those flames, and that was a mistake."

http://www.starcitygames.com/articles/38440_The-Commander-Advisory-Group-Charter.html

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile