Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-11 1:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amonkhet Spoilers --- How many ways can we bend the Layout?
AgePosted: 2017-Mar-24 1:13 am 

lumination wrote:
A pity, those Bolas' horns.

It is indeed quite the pity. I would almost want those full arts, I think they look nicer than either set of Zendikar ones, but the Horns, like Hedrons before them ruin the art.

Last edited by Urtho on 2017-Mar-24 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-24 1:23 am 

I rather like the horns. I feel that they give the art some storyline flavor. Don't know why so much hate for them - it's not like you don't have other full art options out there if you want them.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-24 2:25 am 

Actually a fan of the horned fullarts (they pair well with Gem of Becoming- I'm also a fan of the Bolas Deep Analysis art). Given that this is another God set- I'd wager that each of the different fullarts will have each of the Amonkhet gods in some form. Also, possibly a 5c Nicol Bolas card?

Other funny thing, the Amonkhet theme seems to be life/death. So I highly suspect a Green/Black bleed into colors. If this card isn't proof, we might actually get a good chunk of recursion and removal (both things that are EDH-friendly.)

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-24 4:52 am 

Willbender wrote:
I rather like the horns. I feel that they give the art some storyline flavor. Don't know why so much hate for them - it's not like you don't have other full art options out there if you want them.

I dislike it because my options for full are are now Horns, Hedrons or Avon. I do not like any of those options. Story-line is fine, but there are plenty of us who just want our land to look like land. It is like releasing promo versions of cards in foil only, some of us do not want to play with foil cards, but really enjoy the new art, or templating.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-24 5:17 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
Actually a fan of the horned fullarts (they pair well with Gem of Becoming- I'm also a fan of the Bolas Deep Analysis art). Given that this is another God set- I'd wager that each of the different fullarts will have each of the Amonkhet gods in some form.

There are only 5 full art cards - they all have horns. The other 3 arts for each basic are not full art.

Mr Degradation wrote:
Also, possibly a 5c Nicol Bolas card?

He doesn't have control over white and green mana, i don't see any reason why a 5c Bolas card would be conceived.

Mr Degradation wrote:
Other funny thing, the Amonkhet theme seems to be life/death. So I highly suspect a Green/Black bleed into colors. If this card isn't proof, we might actually get a good chunk of recursion and removal (both things that are EDH-friendly.)

I think that would be totally fitting. Maybe some kind of red card that copies your creatures in the graveyard. They've made red copy something like every set for the last two years at least now anyway, and i've been enjoying the ability of Flamerush Rider to randomly annihilate a player in my Saskia deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-24 6:23 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Mr Degradation wrote:
Also, possibly a 5c Nicol Bolas card?

He doesn't have control over white and green mana, i don't see any reason why a 5c Bolas card would be conceived.

Well, Bolas didn't during the time of Shards of Alara... 9 years ago.

Pretty sure that what Bolas wants is something approaching omniscience. It wouldn't be much of a leap for him to learn G and W, even if he isn't very good with them- in the same way that Sarkhan's time displacement made him gain an affinity for U. Also, I'm pretty convinced that since Bolas and Ugin are parallels, not only aesthetically, but in terms of flavor.

Also, there isn't a 5c Planeswalker yet- and none of the other existing planeswalkers make as much sense.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-24 10:03 pm 

Sovarius wrote:

Its less that he can't do tell it, and more that he refuses to. Mages can learn spells of all colors simply by having enough memories of the land that would fuel the spell. Jodah and Marsil are good examples of this. Jodah started out as a white mage because of where he was raised, but learned red magic during the course of the novel The Gathering Dark, and Marsil knew magic of all five colors.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-25 1:35 am 

But weren't the original Harper Prism books disavowed as MtG Cannon? I recall in one ("Arena" maybe) where the mages had to actually carry pouches of soil for each land from which they wanted to draw mana.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-26 9:09 am 

I dont think we should conflate casting costs with magical prowress. Conflux clearly has Bolas manipulating all 5 colors.

Casting cost is merely temperment and magical affinity if we're to read anything into it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-26 5:43 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
But weren't the original Harper Prism books disavowed as MtG Cannon? I recall in one ("Arena" maybe) where the mages had to actually carry pouches of soil for each land from which they wanted to draw mana.

The Gathering Dark was written by Jeff Grubb, and not related to Harper Prism at all.

niheloim wrote:
I dont think we should conflate casting costs with magical prowress. Conflux clearly has Bolas manipulating all 5 colors.

Casting cost is merely temperment and magical affinity if we're to read anything into it.
Pretty much. Nicol Bolas just is more stubborn than most when it comes to spells, being the last of the progenitor dragons in the multiverse.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-26 9:12 pm 

And spoilers have begun! Cycling is back, and we have a new mechanic called "Exert", although how you exert something is not yet clear.
ImageImageImage

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Last edited by Sid the Chicken on 2017-Mar-27 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-26 10:50 pm 

The demon is going to be great for Nekusar and Leovold wheels.dec.
I wonder why the trigger doesn't simply say "Whenever you discard another card, ...". Is it possible to cycle a card without discarding it?

For the dragon, my guess is that "exert" requires to put a -1/-1 counter on the creature and cannot be done if it already has one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-27 12:03 am 

Fingers crossed (though I'm not getting my hopes up) that Astral Slide gets reprinted. One of my favorite decks ever to play.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-27 1:57 am 

Regarding exert, from http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2017-03-27

As for exert, here's an excerpt from the Mechanics article on that topic:

Exert allows creatures to give a little more effort to produce unusually good results.

You make the decision whether to exert a creature as you declare it as an attacker. If you choose to have it exert, an ability will trigger and grant you some bonus. As a trade-off, the creature won't untap during your next turn. It's tired. Needs a nap. Attack more later.

You don't have to exert the creature as it attacks. If you don't, no ability will trigger, and it will untap normal during your next turn. Note that as you declare attackers is the only time you can have it exert. You can't wait until later in the turn and then exert it. When your next untap step rolls around, if the creature you exerted is untapped, nothing happens and the exertion cost you nothing. Maybe you found a different way to untap it, or maybe you gave it vigilance. You are clever!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-27 2:36 am 

As someone who gets really annoyed with Wizard's inconsistent creature typing, this block looks like it will be painful:

Human Zombies

All the cats having one creature types

Every canine getting its own creature type

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next