Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-14 9:51 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commander 2017 (Tribal)
AgePosted: 2017-Apr-18 9:17 am 

Treamayne wrote:
If they were smart they would have themes for both races and classes (such as having a WX deck and a BX deck, and have Clerics in both of those decks) allowing for up to 8 tribal themes to get at least some support.

If they were smart, they would make sure to focus on moderate support tribes or those that are not unified (such as Cats having significant presence in RGW, but not supported across those colors and legends only in mono G, Mono W and WU).

If they were smart, many of the new cards would be "choose a creature type" templates, so there will be uses beyond the tribes featured in the decks.

Unfortunately, probably this:

Mr Degradation wrote:
Reality:
Goblins vs. Elves vs. Merfolk vs. Zombies, probably
Crappier EDH-specific variant is more likely
A copy of Coat of Arms or Obelisk of Urd in each box, probably.

This post reflects my feelings perfectly. I am really hopeful they do their job correctly and understand that elves, goblins, slivers and zombies are more than beaten at this point and don't need more tribal support than what already exists, and that angels, cats, snakes, werewolves and plenty of other tribes that have some support need a push to be playable in Commander.

Name: Enraged Wilds
General: Marath, Will of the Wild
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Draconic Domination
General: The Ur-Dragon
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-18 11:00 am 

Quote:
Elves, Goblins, Merfolk - unlikely - super played out/boring, would be the easy button for WOTC, regardless of color combinations used.

"Easy button" is exactly why they'd do them, IMO

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-18 12:11 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Quote:
Elves, Goblins, Merfolk - unlikely - super played out/boring, would be the easy button for WOTC, regardless of color combinations used.

"Easy button" is exactly why they'd do them, IMO

True, but popular and interesting are 2 different things. They're not necessarily mutually exclusive, but with only 4 of 5 otherwise potential options, it seems more likely that they would diverge from the normal/typical choices. Those being:

W = Soldiers
U = Merfolk(and/or Wizards)
B = Zombies
R = Goblins
G = Elves

Those are the typical tribes people think of for mono-color. If only 4 are made, that means that 1 of the above mentioned tribes/colors could be left out.

Jeyal had a good point:
Jeyal wrote:
Prediction: Some sort of "race/class" option is going to be in each box. Say, a deck full of Elf Warriors with Elf synergies and Warrior synergies. With a different general depending on which you'd like to emphasize.

It seems likely that there might be some sub-tribal support. Much like how Elf Warriors are the tokens typically made in the tribe, while Bramblewood Paragon is both an Elf and a Warrior, and gives a buff to Warriors (which a very decent chunk of Elves are already).

Personally I'm a bit tired of seeing both W/G and B/G options for Elves, with Selesnya and Golgari having 4 options each, and yet there is no W/B/G Elf that could allow for an Abzan Elf build.

Not to mention that the Mono-Green Freyalise deck was an Elf tribal deck already. There isn't really a shortage of most of the above mentioned tribes as they've gotten some support in some form or another between Block releases as well as the supplemental ones.

Really hoping that they diverge a bit and shy away from the most saturated tribes in the game, especially the ones that will continue to get support in constructed for the rest of time. (For example, Elves and Zombies are eternal while something like Allies or Slivers won't likely see future support for story reasons)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-18 1:03 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Lead developer Gavin Verhey tweeted that one of the tribes will be a surprise.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-18 2:06 pm 

Definitely agree with what's been said in this thread so far. I wonder if we'll get some more changrling cards. Bird tribal fly back to me...

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-19 6:25 am 

maybe we'll get some crazy tribal combos like Zombie Angels or Elf Clerics or Hydra Goblins :P

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-19 6:33 am 

Maybe we'll get Mutavault reprints?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-19 1:57 pm 

I need more Gorgon support!! :lol:

But I'll be fine with whatever is printed as long as it isn't slivers. That needs no more support.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-19 2:57 pm 

Sheldon wrote:

So taking the complement, 3/4 tribes will not be surprising.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-19 7:38 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
Maybe we'll get Mutavault reprints?

I was actually thinking about this & Cavern of Souls. I wonder if they will look at reprinting some of the earlier, slightly harder to find creature class enablers like Riptide Laboratory.

I like the idea of mixing Classes and Types in the decks. A Wizard theme gives you all 5 colours and about 40 different creature types (granted Human & Merfolk make up 66% of all wizards but that one deck can give you Human support, Merfolk support and Wizard support in the same deck without really stretching.), but you could also go into some of the more obscure ones like Artificer or Advisor and still come up with a decent theme or sub-theme.

Also, I did a search for "Creature type" and you could make a case for a deck wthat has multiple types as its focus. Generally people tend to go mono-tribe and leverage all the bonuses of that tribe. I wonder if it would be possible to make a deck where it would be beneficial to you to have as many different named creature types as possibe on the battlefield. Things like Angelic Armaments, Nim Deathmantle, Adaptive Automaton all bestow or allow you to choose specific creature types. Coming up with a set of cards that works off that would be fun. Not sure how they would word it to get around the Changeling issue but it could be an interesting direction.

Edit: Working off some flawed logic, could you argue that a deck full of animated lands could be a tribal theme?

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-20 12:24 am 

zimagic wrote:
Edit: Working off some flawed logic, could you argue that a deck full of animated lands could be a tribal theme?

If all of those lands animate with the same creature type, yes (e.g. Celestial Colonnade ally and enemy color cycles). I do have a Hazezon Tamar deck that is man-land themed, but it doesn't really function as tribal since there isn't a unified creature type to leverage (instead I leverage "land matters" cards like Genju, Zendikons, Magemarks (enchantress sub-theme), landfall effects (e.g. Retreat to Kazandu) and goodstuff land effects (e.g. Terra Eternal).

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-20 12:34 am 

not man-lands but I did an animated land Elemental tribal once.

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-20 1:16 am 

Sheldon wrote:

Confirmed, one of the new decks will include 10 new Phelddagrifs.

The deck name will be "Get In Loser, We're Going Questing"

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-20 1:20 am 

scatteredsun wrote:

Yeah, this is the angle I was thinking off. Seem a bit farfetched now that I've worked through the idea.

Another thought for the surprising "tribe": Legendary. Ok, not a tribe or a class but something that 1.) totally fits this particular product and is difficult to do in normal releases as Kamigawa showed and 2.) allows to reprint a lot of potential generals without having to develop a specific theme to accomodate them. A 5c "legendary" deck suddenly gives you 10-15 new Legend-themed support cards over all colours which would be pretty sweet.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-20 2:17 am 

zimagic wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:

Yeah, this is the angle I was thinking off. Seem a bit farfetched now that I've worked through the idea.

Another thought for the surprising "tribe": Legendary. Ok, not a tribe or a class but something that 1.) totally fits this particular product and is difficult to do in normal releases as Kamigawa showed and 2.) allows to reprint a lot of potential generals without having to develop a specific theme to accomodate them. A 5c "legendary" deck suddenly gives you 10-15 new Legend-themed support cards over all colours which would be pretty sweet.

Omnath, Locus of Rage works pretty well for it and I have some other ideas going in my brain now. I think I'll rebuild it.

My Saskia "League of Legends" deck would LOVE more Legendary tribal support! :)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next