Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 12:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commander 2017 (Tribal)
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 8:42 am 

So disappointed ...

ImageImage
ImageImage

1 reprint UBR, 3 new UBR and a UB Wizard. In the one deck they could play with different races and every one of them is ****** human. Grrrrr.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 9:58 am 

Yeah... The wizards looked like the worst of the 4.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 6:54 pm 

I find it hard to be excited about any of these decks. To make it worse, I have a deck with a minor dragon theme, and I feel that has to go now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-12 12:38 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
I find it hard to be excited about any of these decks. To make it worse, I have a deck with a minor dragon theme, and I feel that has to go now.

You have a deck with a minor dragon theme, so you have to get rid of the deck now?

Anyway, Ramos Dragon Engine is kinda getting my wheels turning about what to do with it. Seems like a possible good opportunity to make a deck with only multi-colored cards, or even further only multi-colored cards with three or more colors. Might be pushing it a little too far, but then again might make for an interesting deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-12 5:15 am 

Well, the dragon theme isn't really working out and I was looking to strengthen the theme. But having the dragon precon around doesn't increase the appeal of my deck as it's just one of many dragon decks. What I hoped for was that C17 would bring something that'd magically fix my deck, but even if it does, it doesn't excite me enough to buy in. Maybe it's a good thing, because now I can cut a bunch of cards and strengthen one of the other themes of the deck ;)

I'm not saying C17 is a bad set, but I don't see me building a deck around one of the new generals. Maybe I'm suffering of deck fatigue. I've spent more time building Lego with my 5 year old than playing EDH, so maybe it's just time to set it aside until he can play. I just hope he doesn't want to play Pokemon.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-12 5:33 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Well, the dragon theme isn't really working out and I was looking to strengthen the theme. But having the dragon precon around doesn't increase the appeal of my deck as it's just one of many dragon decks. What I hoped for was that C17 would bring something that'd magically fix my deck, but even if it does, it doesn't excite me enough to buy in. Maybe it's a good thing, because now I can cut a bunch of cards and strengthen one of the other themes of the deck ;)

I'm not saying C17 is a bad set, but I don't see me building a deck around one of the new generals. Maybe I'm suffering of deck fatigue. I've spent more time building Lego with my 5 year old than playing EDH, so maybe it's just time to set it aside until he can play. I just hope he doesn't want to play Pokemon.

Gotcha. Kinda went through deck/play fatigue in the past few months myself, so this release has renewed some interest for me. I've been wanting to build a cat deck, so this will definitely help with that (as the current cat collection hasn't really appealed to me). They aren't doing much more now with these cats, but it's enough to push me over the edge and try building something again. The current wizards deck might not be astounding, but there a number of directions possible with what's in there that I wouldn't mind trying. And with vampires, I have an Olivian Voldaren deck I've been wanting to replace with a better vampire so now's my chance. Then there's always dragons, and I love me some more dragons. The cat dragon legend has interested my wife enough that we'll be trying to build something with that. It's likely at some point I'll separate each of the five-color dragons new to this release and make something for each of them.

Hopefully your son ends up getting interested in learning to play from you someday.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-12 5:01 pm 

I am excited for a few things. Girlfriend has a cat deck with Gahiji we might tinker to drop red. Arahbo's whole design is just garbage but the other ones are cool.

I've been wanting to build WBR Vampires for a while, so that's cool. Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief was my first deck when she came out, and i became a little bit obsessed. I have a 3d counter, a playmat, and around 60 copies of her, including foils of several languages and a couple artist proofs i got from Bierek.

Really excited to play Kess, but i am actually looking to play around with her in Legacy or Vintage. Of course she competes with the cost of Jace, the Mind Sculptor and the abilities of the cheaper Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Snapcaster Mage, but hot damn. It doesn't seem *not* worth testing.

Actually like some of the cats for a janky legacy pet deck (no pun intended). Gf was into the idea and isn't a serious tryhard about that kind of stuff, and Mirri and Stalking Leonin seem totally playable in that regard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-12 11:06 pm 

I'm excited about it too! This release has connected to a number of things I've had planned:

• I've wanted to make an Equipment-oriented deck, and the Cat deck just gave me a bunch of new tools to do so.
  • I've wanted to make a Voltron deck, and now they gave me an excellent Voltron commander in the form of Licia, Sanguine Tribune. Licia even lets me work against the increasing cost of re-summoning a commander from the command zone, provided I invest in lifegain sources as the game goes on. (I might also make that my Equipment subtheme deck.)
  • I've been interested in making a Grixis deck that uses milling for some of its enablement (combine with e.g. Beacon of Unrest and Wight of Precinct Six, and Kess gave me a perfect commander for it and some other tools.
  • I've been working on a Queen Marchesa vorthos deck, and was having trouble filling a handful of card slots with cards that were both functional and flavorful. The Vampire deck just gave me a bunch of tools with which to fill that out: Disrupt Decorum, Curse of Opulence, Mathas, and some others + reprints.
  • I've been sorta-interested in making a Dragon deck. This edition just gave me one, and one I can change around if I'm not satisfied, such as into a Wasitora/Atarka deck.
  • Taigam is exactly what I want in a Jeskai card, and I might even look at making a blue-white deck around him. (It'll be the first blue-white deck I've ever actually wanted to make, since I don't dig the "taxes and control" theme of most other blue-white commanders.)

I'm really interested to see how the eminence thing shakes out though. I don't plan on using any eminence commanders beyond just using the stock decks, and I might swap Arahbo out for Mirri, Unfair Duelist.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-13 12:25 am 

The Cat that searches for equipment is cool.
Ramos is super-neat.
And I like a lot of the tribal stuff.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-15 2:53 am 

Weird to see how varied opinions are on these legends. Wizards is my winner. The other decks only have 1 legend each that I care about. Ramos, Dragon Engine, Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist, and Licia, Sanguine Tribune.

Kess, Dissident Mage is far and away my favorite, though. You get so much value out of her. Double use on removal. Double use on discard. Double overload. Double time walks. Cheating on flashback. Only having to buyback half the time. So many copy spells.

Inalla, Archmage Ritualist and Mairsil, the Pretender both seem bonkers in their own ways, but Kess. Just beautiful.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-15 3:14 am 

Nazotchi wrote:
Weird to see how varied opinions are on these legends. Wizards is my winner. The other decks only have 1 legend each that I care about. Ramos, Dragon Engine, Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist, and Licia, Sanguine Tribune.

Kess, Dissident Mage is far and away my favorite, though. You get so much value out of her. Double use on removal. Double use on discard. Double overload. Double time walks. Cheating on flashback. Only having to buyback half the time. So many copy spells.

Inalla, Archmage Ritualist and Mairsil, the Pretender both seem bonkers in their own ways, but Kess. Just beautiful.

I think that is a good thing. When everybody loves (or hates) the design it shows up too much (or never). I love it when I play against 10 people and no repeats. I don't often get out to a shop, so I have started playing MTGO and I run into the same 2-3 generals pretty often. I have faced a Locust God in 3 out of the last 5 games. Makes me like it less and less. One game there were 2 Scarab Gods but they were built pretty differently, one was a Zombie tribal, the other was a kill and steal deck.

I am pretty excited to get these decks, but I doubt any of them will stay together. I will likely purchase 2 of the Vampires deck, but not sure if/when I will get multiples of the others as I have generally done with the previous years.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Fresh hot takes, get your hot takes here!
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-17 12:59 am 

I am surprised the way this commander cycle turned out. I hear a lot of people complaining that the decks "aren't good" or "ruin things", though I wasn't active online for c16/c15/c14 so I don't know if that's the standard reaction or not.

It might just be the current hype talking, but as is I like c17 more than c15 and c14. I feel like I can't put it over c16 without playing it first, especially when I think Partner is the best mechanic to come out in a precon up to this point and three of my decks use commanders printed in c16. Having a cycle of decks printed around a theme/deck archetype is WAY more on flavor for commander than a set of arbitrary color pairs. I'd love it if they did more archetype/deck construction themes for the cXX products in the future. (Enchantment/Artifact/Land/Instant+Sorcery anyone?)

Ramos, Dragon Engine is going to be the new commander of my originally Witch-maw then Ishai/Shidiqi get-swoll-by-casting voltron deck. I'm looking forward to seeing how Eminence does(n't) effect the format, and a resurgence of other tribal decks. Slivers, Elves, and Zombies here you come :evil:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fresh hot takes, get your hot takes here!
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-17 3:56 am 

Evilkritter wrote:
I am surprised the way this commander cycle turned out. I hear a lot of people complaining that the decks "aren't good" or "ruin things", though I wasn't active online for c16/c15/c14 so I don't know if that's the standard reaction or not.

It might just be the current hype talking, but as is I like c17 more than c15 and c14. I feel like I can't put it over c16 without playing it first, especially when I think Partner is the best mechanic to come out in a precon up to this point and three of my decks use commanders printed in c16. Having a cycle of decks printed around a theme/deck archetype is WAY more on flavor for commander than a set of arbitrary color pairs. I'd love it if they did more archetype/deck construction themes for the cXX products in the future. (Enchantment/Artifact/Land/Instant+Sorcery anyone?)

Ramos, Dragon Engine is going to be the new commander of my originally Witch-maw then Ishai/Shidiqi get-swoll-by-casting voltron deck. I'm looking forward to seeing how Eminence does(n't) effect the format, and a resurgence of other tribal decks. Slivers, Elves, and Zombies here you come :evil:

Aside from the first set, I'm the most excited to play these pre-cons than any of the previous sets. It may be I just really like the tribal archetype, but these look particularly cohesive. There are always fun new cards and commanders but these decks as a whole look fun to play and play against.

I tend to keep the pre-cons together until I play each one a few times. I have a feeling these will stay together with only minor changes for a good long while.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-17 8:07 am 

Having the decks be thematic was a much better idea than color pairs for making the precons themselves more interesting, but an even color spread is better for diversity in the format. Now that we have more than a couple of viable commanders in each color combination I think the move to more thematic decks is the right move.

I said before that I don't plan on buying any of these decks. That should not be taken as a slight against them. They look to me to be the most interesting decks out of them all.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-20 9:48 am 

Vampires is insane in Duel Commander (getting free 1/1s every creature in a 20 life format is nuts) as is the Cat. I got the Cat deck, it's fun in that format.

I also picked up the Dragon deck today, and am tweaking it a bit for some multiplayer fun around our tables. So many options and the cards offered (curses, Fractured Identity) are pretty toolsy as well.
Can I case Ramos from the command zone with Dream Halls? My instinct says no since he's colorless, but if I can....this will become pretty relevant and disgusting.

Overall I liked the decks. My complaints remain with the manabases, but I can fix that easily enough on my own. I do hope they mix things up next year and give us some weird options with more "build around" options; the WIzards and Dragons seem to have the best of these, as Cats are "RAWR!" and Vampires are like "I vant to dreenk your blooooooood" and that's easily done with all the gas provided.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next