Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 1:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Idiotic Combo
AgePosted: 2017-May-27 3:20 am 
EDH Rules Committee

This thread is for suggestions for me use for my feature "This Week's Idiotic Combo." The more Rube Goldberg, the better, although I'd like to keep combos to three, at the most four, cards.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Idiotic Combo
AgePosted: 2017-May-27 4:23 am 

Are there any cards which are off limits, due to their ease of combo? (Looking at you, Ashnod's Altar)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-27 4:37 am 

I managed to accidentally 1-shot someone at full health in a game yesterday. I was testing out my newly built BruseIkra deck when I got the two of them out, alongside an Ageless Entity and a Brutal Hordechief. All four of them swung, Entity going at one player with no blockers, Bruse's ability going on Entity, and the other three going at another. Thanks to Hordechief, Entity made first strike contact as an 8/8, while the other three all got chump blocked. Entity's lifelink made it into a 16/16, then Ikra's ability made it a 32/32 when it hit for normal damage.

EDIT: Also, for the 3-4 card limit, is that only a limit on your cards? I've had several really stupid plays using Geth, Lord of the Vault and opposing GY's

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-27 5:49 am 

One I just discovered in my zombie deck: Gravecrawler + Phyrexian Altar + Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Deadapult.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-27 9:48 am 

I don't know if this qualifies as 'idiotic', but I remember a combo from the second time I used my Zedruu deck. Normally, I'd pull out something like Holy Day, but my Zedruu deck has a completely different toolkit for dealing with unfriendly board states.

It was a game that had been going for about an hour and a half, and everyone was building up their field for that final 'overrun with creatures' plan that they always use, except me, since my Zedruu deck doesn't have a lot of creatures. Instead of playing something simple like a Fog-Type card to survive, I just did what my Zedruu deck does best and make a play I don't even see coming. I had already had out Wild Evocation and Hive Mind, so all I needed was to draw one of my field wipes and everything would disappear. I had no hand when it finally came around to my turn, and since I controlled both Zedruu and Wild Evocation, I was able to draw before Wild Evocation went off. Using Zedruu isn't the point of the deck, so I was only able to draw one card, but that card ended up being Warp World.

We had a Hive Minded Warp World go off completely uncountered, the game got set back to about turn six, somehow Hive Mind was back on the field, and then I got to finally take the rest of my turn. It was during that game that I learned Warp World even hits lands. Pretty much an hour and a half out the window, but since I didn't destroy or exile anything, my play group didn't hate the play, but they were surprised by it.

I could have used Cyclonic Rift, Blasphemous Act, or any Wrath effect to reach the exact same result (surviving). Instead, I played the top card of my library without knowing what it was.

-Nahiri, the Lithomancer-Monowhite Soldier/Equipment Deck
-Sharuum the Hegemon-Esper Artifact Themed Deck
-Karador, Ghost Chieftain-Kamigawa Spirit Reanimator Tribal Deck
-Zedruu the Greathearted-Predictability is Weakness Themed Deck
-Nissa, Vastwood Seer/Nissa, Sage Animist-Monogreen Land Based Deck

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-27 2:17 pm 

I suppose there's always the "Great Machine" combo of having all the stations and a random trinket.

Then you can go even stupider with something like Blasting Station, Summoning Station, Dross Scorpion, Pentavus, any artifact that taps for 2+ mana - Sol Ring is the obvious choice, but to make this stupider (and because I actually ran this combo in a deck back during Mirrodin block), we'll go with Ur-Golem's Eye;
1. Tap Summoning Station to make a creature (untap Blasting Station)
2. Tap Blasting Station, sac the pincer token
3. Tap Ur-Golem's Eye to add 2 mana
4. Use that 2 mana to create a Pentavite token and immediately sac that token to put a counter back on the Pentavus. Dross Scorpion untaps your eye, and the Blasting Station untaps if it wasn't already.
Rinse & repeat.

I use the Empires artifacts in a deck (Throne of Empires, Scepter of Empires and Crown of Empires)

Intruder Alarm, Stonybrook Schoolmaster and (insert thing that would make you tap the schoolmaster) - Drowner of Secrets, Patron Wizard and Azami, Lady of Scrolls are obvious choices here, also Opposition. Combine the Alarm-Schoolmaster-Drowner with either Psychogenic Probe or Psychic Surgery and you have a win.

EDIT: Almost forgot; Rebellion of the Flamekin, Ringskipper, Deathrender, way to sac a creature for mana (Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar, maybe something ridiculous like Thermopod) and a way to ensure that something ludicrously expensive is on top of your deck - infinite clash, making infinite 3/1 elementals.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-27 2:44 pm 

Alright so, how about using Emrakul, the Promised End to infinitely take the turn of your opponent and kill the table (including yourself) with your opponents deck?

For this you'll need:

Vedalken Orrery

Erratic Portal

And either:
Unwinding Clock + Mycosynth Lattice or enough mana rocks to recast emrakul when they untap.
or Seedborn Muse if in green.

You cast Emrakul, taking control of an opponent and creating an extra turn. Then during the players turn while you are controlling them, everything you have untaps. You bounce Emrakul with Erratic Portal, and you flash him in thanks to Vedalken Orrery. You target the same opponent with Emrakul again. This lets you take control of their next turn (the 1st extra turn you created), and it creates a 2nd extra turn.

During their first extra turn you do the same thing.

You keep doing this and build a board state that kills everybody, using some one elses deck to kill everybody.

That's a win in my book.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-27 3:50 pm 

A combo I recently discovered in my Derevi deck:
Derevi, Empyrial Tactician + Bloom Tender + Spawning Pit + Earthcraft
1. Get 3 mana from bloom tender and 1 from tapping derevi with earthcraft for 4 total mana.
2. Sacrifice derevi with spawning pit. Spawning pit has +1 counter on it.
3. Pay 4 to put derevi into play, untapping bloom tender.
4. Repeat from step 1.
Now Spawning Pit has infinite counters on it.
5. Tap a basic to get a spawn.
6. Tap spawn with earthcraft to untap basic.
7. Repeat from step 5.
Now you have infinite tapped spawns!

Back in the day (before EDH) I had a deck that got infinite storm and mana using Wirewood Channeler + Wirewood Symbiote + Unnatural Selection.
The combo was to turn the symbiote into an elf then bounce it with its own ability and replay it from mana gained from untapping the channeler. Since the symbiote left play then came back, it got around the "once per turn" restriction on its ability.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-28 12:36 am 
EDH Rules Committee

cryogen wrote:
Are there any cards which are off limits, due to their ease of combo? (Looking at you, Ashnod's Altar)

Not really, but I'm looking for more off-the-beaten-path type stuff.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-28 4:06 am 

I'm still waiting for Evolution Vat to do something nutty with Crystalline Crawler in my UG Ezuri deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-28 4:37 am 

Half new, half old, I've used this to mill out a player before: We all know about Gravecrawler + Phyrexian altar, but I added Faces of the past Naming a creature typean opponents controls + Mesmeric orb.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-28 4:40 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Then you can go even stupider with something like Blasting Station, Summoning Station, Dross Scorpion, Pentavus, any artifact that taps for 2+ mana - Sol Ring is the obvious choice, but to make this stupider (and because I actually ran this combo in a deck back during Mirrodin block), we'll go with Ur-Golem's Eye

Wouldn't Liquimetal Coating suffice in place of the Pentavus and mana rock?

Speaking of stupid stuff with the stations, I managed to get Grinding Station, Magus of the Coffers and Geth, Lord of the Vault, with an opponent having Magewright's Stone

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-28 5:20 am 

zimagic wrote:
Half new, half old, I've used this to mill out a player before: We all know about Gravecrawler + Phyrexian altar, but I added Faces of the past Naming a creature typean opponents controls + Mesmeric orb.

You don't name anything with Faces, it triggers whenever a creature dies, and only for those that share the type (so, Zombies). So you could do this and mill everyone if they all control at least one zombie (and hopefully you don't have anything besides Gravecrawler so you don't go to 0 cards as well)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-28 5:29 am 

Here you go, Sheldon

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/6dsh2w/ramosconflux_i_win/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-28 1:55 pm 

Devoted Druid + Flourishing Defenses + either Cathars' Crusade or Ivy Lane Denizen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next