Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-13 10:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hour of Devastation
AgePosted: 2017-Jun-17 4:00 am 

its definitely a more powerful effect, but I wouldnt call it power creep given the cost.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-17 5:28 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Not saying it's unbalanced at all (like DDK said, possibly overcosted CMC for Nissa); but the first thing I thought of on reading this was Garruk Wildspeaker. Back when PWs were introduced, untapping two lands and was considered strong and only worth +1 and now you untap two lands and two creatures for +2...
But that's a 4 CMC planeswalker vs. a 7 CMC. That 7 CMC should definitely have a higher power level.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-17 6:11 am 

niheloim wrote:
its definitely a more powerful effect, but I wouldnt call it power creep given the cost.

Willbender wrote:
But that's a 4 CMC planeswalker vs. a 7 CMC. That 7 CMC should definitely have a higher power level.

Hence, why I said it was not unbalanced. Generally speaking, the relative power of any given ability (+ or -) was a function of starting loyalty, casting cost and ultimate cost.

However, historically, the "umphh" (technical term) was fairly similar (+2 was weaker than a +1 because it got you to the ultimate faster, -1 was weaker than a -2 because it kept you closer to the ultimate) and the CMC balance was in the power of the ultimate and the starting loyalty value(when looking at Lorwyn to Scars-ish era walkers) as well as if the walker in question had a +1, +2, etc (but the type of effect available at +1, +2 were similar in power for their color(s)).

It's not true power creep; but I think it is a form of power creep. Just struck me was all, wanted to share.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-17 8:02 am 

Treamayne wrote:
niheloim wrote:

Willbender wrote:

Hence, why I said it was not unbalanced. Generally speaking, the relative power of any given ability (+ or -) was a function of starting loyalty, casting cost and ultimate cost.

However, historically, the "umphh" (technical term) was fairly similar (+2 was weaker than a +1 because it got you to the ultimate faster, -1 was weaker than a -2 because it kept you closer to the ultimate) and the CMC balance was in the power of the ultimate and the starting loyalty value(when looking at Lorwyn to Scars-ish era walkers) as well as if the walker in question had a +1, +2, etc (but the type of effect available at +1, +2 were similar in power for their color(s)).

It's not true power creep; but I think it is a form of power creep. Just struck me was all, wanted to share.

Its definitely a case of making walkers more impactful... gives them that oomph we want them to have.

The first few walkers were glorified enchantments. Now we're getting them with a lot of character and board presence.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-17 2:39 pm 

niheloim wrote:
Its definitely a case of making walkers more impactful... gives them that oomph we want them to have.

The first few walkers were glorified enchantments. Now we're getting them with a lot of character and board presence.

True. It also makes them more of a threat (and therefore a better target for an attack, and therefore more "interactive").

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-19 1:15 am 

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I'm a big fan of plain old Greed. - intrepid
Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Member of Project Every-Deck
Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-19 5:27 am 

God damn it Amonkhet give us a Naya cat lord... or at least a GW one.

And that Dreamstalker looks like it may very well be the newest addition to my BruseIkra deck... although I actually fear that in that deck it may be too overpowered. Too many cards combine to make it effectively a 3 mana Bolas.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-19 7:04 am 

Whoa. :shock:

So...can a thing be a copy of multiple things simultaneously or does each activation overwrite the previous copy?

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-19 7:32 am 

scatteredsun wrote:

So...can a thing be a copy of multiple things simultaneously or does each activation overwrite the previous copy?

It doesn't say "and keeps this ability" so it would copy only one thing until it becomes itself again. If you activate it in response to itself repeatedly, it should end up as only the last effect to resolve. Though that could make for some interesting chains assuming you have the mana to do many activations of abilities in between resolution of another copy of it's effect.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-19 7:50 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Though that could make for some interesting chains assuming you have the mana to do many activations of abilities in between resolution of another copy of it's effect.

Way back when I built my 3rd EDH deck, I used Mizzium Transreliquat to do exactly that, making lots of colorless mana with Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth, then stacking alternating activations of Mizzium onto first Magistrate's Scepter, then Basalt Monolith. In between each copy ability resolving, I would tap to add a counter or take a turn, or pay 3 to untap, depending on which artifact it was copying at the moment. If I were to build something like that again I would probably swap Scepter out for Lux Cannon, which is equally game-ending if that combo resolves undisrupted but doesn't slow the game down as much in normal play.

Another thing you can do is temporarily become Sun Droplet or Angelheart Vial when about to take a lot (but not a lethal amount) of damage, then switch to Druids' Repository or Pentad Prism to turn those charge counters into a resource better suited to making a comeback.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-19 8:38 am 

Yeah, I was considering things like Jeskai Ascendancy to get two untap effects for each spell, copy a creature with the effects on the stack, etc., et al.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-19 10:05 am 

I really do want a foil set of those deserts mounted and framed for my classroom.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-19 4:50 pm 

scatteredsun wrote:

I hate it when I have to find room for new cards in my Glissa deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-19 11:53 pm 

Neheb "Pushing the Limits of the Creature Type Text Space", The Eternal

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-20 1:25 am 

Before this set, only one mono-R zombie card existed, Slavering Nulls along with 19 gold cards of various Grixis mixes.

Neheb brings us to 2 along with Wildfire Eternal, hopefully we'll be getting more.

They are currently the only two cards that interest me from HOD. :(

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next