Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-17 8:41 pm

Post subject: uN$tabl3
AgePosted: 2017-Jun-15 1:52 am 

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/unstable

Releases on my birthday!

I'm wondering what jokes we'll see.

I would seriously expect them to do a Legendary Commander creature a la Timmy, Power Gamer, Johnny, Combo Player... or Maybe a Spike player?

Last edited by niheloim on 2017-Jun-15 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Unstable
AgePosted: 2017-Jun-15 2:31 am 

I'm interested in what the full art lands will look like.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-15 2:42 am 

I forgot all about that! Yes. I would love them to look like the Unhinged, with a minimal Border.

I would also like to see them horizontally oriented, so that they are best viewed when tapped.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-15 10:11 pm 

niheloim wrote:
I forgot all about that! Yes. I would love them to look like the Unhinged, with a minimal Border.

I would also like to see them horizontally oriented, so that they are best viewed when tapped.

No art lands.

MaRo has previously said that they explored panoramic lands before (and in hindsight since he was working on UN3 the entire time he was doing Blogatog, they were probably for this set). But IIRC he also said they they had playtest issues because it was hard to tell when they were tapped or not.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-15 10:45 pm 

Maybe a special frame without border à la AKH Invocations? Hopefully not...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-16 3:43 am 

cryogen wrote:
niheloim wrote:

No art lands.

MaRo has previously said that they explored panoramic lands before (and in hindsight since he was working on UN3 the entire time he was doing Blogatog, they were probably for this set). But IIRC he also said they they had playtest issues because it was hard to tell when they were tapped or not.

that seems weird... You can't tell if lands are tapped when they were turn 90 degrees sideways because of the art?

Were they using mock-ups?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-16 11:53 am 

niheloim wrote:
cryogen wrote:
niheloim wrote:

No art lands.

that seems weird... You can't tell if lands are tapped when they were turn 90 degrees sideways because of the art?

Were they using mock-ups?

If your lands are panoramic and meant to be played horizontally, how do you distinguish them from other lands? "This pile of sideways lands are tapped, but this pile of sideways lands are untapped."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-16 12:08 pm 

I wouldnt orient them horizontally when untapped. I would have them oriented normally so that they were panoramic only when tapped.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-17 10:41 am 

niheloim wrote:
I wouldnt orient them horizontally when untapped. I would have them oriented normally so that they were panoramic only when tapped.

Then your lands are sideways.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-17 2:33 pm 

cryogen wrote:
niheloim wrote:

Then your lands are sideways.

Like normal lands are sideways when tapped? It would just be the reverse but looking good when tapped. I'm guessing it is a gimmick they could only do in an Un-set, and it's not like there isn't precedent - split cards have their pictures "sideways" along with the Aftermath side of Amonkhet cards.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Unstable full arts
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 3:14 am 

The art is great, but in my opinion the graphic design makes them look tacky. Which is just a shame, out of all the full art land borders unhinged and unglued are by far my favorites. I blame Mark Rosewater. Anyone else notice he had to create 2 seperate articles explaining all the jokes in the unhinged set because after 13 years people still didn't get the jokes in it?... If you have to explain it, it's not funny... Also he goes on about how the set wasn't a failure, but was just over produced. I actually bought a box of this back in the day and between the gotcha cards, mana screw, and the very few flying creatures it wasn't very pleasant. Plus the whole artist theme matters was practically unplayable.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Unstable full arts
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 4:23 am 

In what way do you feel those cards are tacky?

I think they look nice. Minimal to zero borders on the side, the art is suffused with the appropriate colour so you can tell what type of land it is from the other side of the table easily.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 4:44 am 

Specifically, I don't care for the translucent colored tabs at the top. It's really distracting to me. Compare that to the really small hardly noticeable name tab of the unhinged lands: Image

If they had just put the names in a little translucent bubble instead of covering the whole top of the card, it would have been way better.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 5:46 am 

the black bottom does make them look unbalanced. They suggest the look of a smartphone with background image to me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 6:37 am 

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen one in person but am pretty sure these are gorgeous.

Are these the first tournament legal cards with colour printed right up to the edge of the border?

Offline Profile