Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-17 1:08 pm

Post subject: Design-a-General
AgePosted: 2018-Feb-25 2:37 pm 

This thread already existed, right? Sorry I didn't just necro that one.

So here's another one!

So I had an idea for a Doomed Traveler-ish kind of general. The spirit version kept living on, gaining wisdom, and passed that wisdom on to the re-corporal version of itself.

Here's what I came up with:

Ghosty McGhostface 2WW
Legendary Creature--Leonin Cleric
3/3

When Ghosty McGhostface leaves the battlefield, create a white legendary spirit token named Ghosty McGhostface with power and toughness equal to this creature’s power and toughness, and “Whenever another Ghosty McGhostface enters the battlefield under your control, it gains this creature’s base power and toughness, and you may put two +1/+1 counters on it.”

Thoughts?
Suggestions to make it less wordy?
Your own designs?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Design-a-General
AgePosted: 2018-Feb-25 3:59 pm 

When it leaves the battlefield it loses the counters, so it's power and toughness would be 3 still, if what you're going for is him to keep growing. A better way of doing it I think:

"When Ghosty McGhostface leaves the battlefield, put a 1/1 Spirit Token with flying named McGhost Ghostyface into play with +1/+1 counters equal to Ghosty McGhostyface's power.

When Ghosty McGhostface enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a "McGhost Ghostyface" creature you control. If you do, Ghosty McGhostface gets +2/+2 for each time it was cast from the command zone."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-25 7:03 pm 

What about saccing the 'ghost' and adding +1/+1 counters equal to 1/2 the amount of mana spent to cast the Legend? It scales as you pay more tax.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-25 10:52 pm 

sagest_owl wrote:
Ghosty McGhostface 2WW
3/3

When Ghosty McGhostface leaves the battlefield, create a white legendary spirit token named Ghosty McGhostface with power and toughness equal to this creature’s power and toughness, and “Whenever another Ghosty McGhostface enters the battlefield under your control, it gains this creature’s base power and toughness, and you may put two +1/+1 counters on it.”

Thoughts?
Suggestions to make it less wordy?
Your own designs?

Leonin is not a creature type (Cat)
References to P/T will need "Base" in their template now. Unless you are referencing counters as modifiers.
Please correct if I am mistaken, but it seems like you are going for a Sengir Nosferatu/Deathpact Angel type template with a touch of Skullbriar.

I have an idea percolating, and will post later when I have more time and a more fleshed out template.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-26 6:18 am 

What about doing a Prossh/Marath/etc style?

When Ghosty dies, create a legendary Ghosty Spirit token with P/T equal to the amount of mana spent to cast Ghosty and has Flying.

Might be fun to cost it at 0 for a 0/1 Ghosty with Flying (with the rules text that Ghosty is White? Hybrid W/B maybe?) The token wouldn't deal commander damage so it wouldn't be a one-hit-wonder like Prossh.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-26 6:25 am 

sagest_owl wrote:
Ghosty McGhostface 2WW
3/3

I think you want 'dies', not 'leaves the battlefield'. From a power standpoint i think you want him to be able to use his ability if he is exiled, but from a flavor standpoint i don't think he would have the ability to become a ghost if he was erased from existence. You also probably don't want it have poorly designed interaction with Flicker effects, they don't really seem to make sense on account of this being a ghost.

You could try

GMCGF 2WW
Legendary Cat Cleric
3/3

"As an additional cost to cast GMCGF, you may sacrifice a creature named Memory of Cat Ghost. If you do, GMCGF enters the battlefield with additional +1/+1 counters equal to it's power.

When GMCGF dies, create a Legendary Cat Spirit token named Memory Of with power and toughness equal to Cat Ghost's power and toughness."

Or

"GMCGF gets +1/+1 for each experience counter you have.

When GMCGF dies, you gain an experience counter and create a 3/3 Legendary Cat Spirit token named Memory Of with "~ gets +1/+1 for each experience counter you have" and "Whenever ~ deals combat damage to player or dies, you get an experience counter"."

I don't see any rules issues with either of those 2 technically. And with Experience counters, you can set the rules for the token gaining experience. Maybe the commander card gets +1/+1 for each experience and gains experience from one thing, and then the token gains experience from doing another thing. Perhaps the commander gets experience when you make creatures, and the token gets experience when it or another creature dies.

I like MRH's and Uktabi's suggestion of using number of times cast from command zone and requiring to sac the spirit (so if someone kills the spirit, you get a 3/3 again but it still tracks throughout the game).

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
When it leaves the battlefield it loses the counters, so it's power and toughness would be 3 still, if what you're going for is him to keep growing.

Does it not use LKI? a 3/3 with two +1/+1 counters that dies is still a 5/5.

Quote:
"When Ghosty McGhostface leaves the battlefield, put a 1/1 Spirit Token with flying named McGhost Ghostyface into play with +1/+1 counters equal to Ghosty McGhostyface's power.

When Ghosty McGhostface enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a "McGhost Ghostyface" creature you control. If you do, Ghosty McGhostface gets +2/+2 for each time it was cast from the command zone."

Would have to use a different name, otherwise SBA and Legendary Rule would make you lose one before you get to choose to sac (at which point, you'd sac your only remaining of the 2). And it would need counters to mark increase in base power and toughness since mtg doesn't use formats that don't any more.

Last edited by Sovarius on 2018-Feb-26 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-26 9:03 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Would have to use a different name, otherwise SBA and Legendary Rule would make you lose one before you get to choose to sac (at which point, you'd sac your only remaining of the 2). And it would need counters to mark increase in base power and toughness since mtg doesn't use formats that don't any more.

Alternately, you could make it a replacement effect ... ie: "As Ghosty McGhostface enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature named Ghosty McGhostface. If you do, Ghosty McGhostface enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters..." (then fill in 'X' however you wish).

That said - I'd still give the token a different name so as to reduce confusion when people first see the card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-26 9:34 am 

I propose the token be called "Facey McFaceghost".

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-26 10:17 am 

Coco wrote:
I propose the token be called "Facey McFaceghost".

As in the Ghostfacers? http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Ghostfacers_(team)

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-26 2:24 pm 

Thank you for the feedback, everyone! It never occurred to me to use commander tax or experience counters to help track info.

Anyone else have a custom general? Does anyone know of a play group that allows custom designs?
How do you make sure that people just don't go for super crazy creatures right off the bat?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-27 4:41 am 

sagest_owl wrote:
Anyone else have a custom general?

For a while i played an Avatar that costs 1WBRG and destroys a nonland permanent when it enters, and then get's +1/+1 counters whenever a permanent dies. The deck was entirely comprised of the most flexible removal spells and every creature that said "destroy" when it etbs or dies on it.

Eventually Saskia was released so i don't have an excuse to use an invented legend anymore, and the deck changed a lot since then.

sagest_owl wrote:
How do you make sure that people just don't go for super crazy creatures right off the bat?

There are already legends available that have builds for them that don't really belong in constructed play, so if someone if played a make-believe legend that seems obviously broken, i would point them in another direction.

Before partners were invented, (before Gisa and Geralf were released), i played their 2 individual cards as partners. They aren't not really broken, but they have sweet flavor and their abilities rock together, so it was not very hard to get people to let me play them. I still have the deck, but now it is more or less a Grimgrin deck because i don't really have an excuse to play 2 separate commanders anymore now that there are partners and an actual Gisa and Geralf card.

Offline Profile