Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-20 8:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Dominaria leak, now offical
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-08 12:56 pm 

Well.. the Chinese Dominaria FAQ leaked earlier, and now there is an article on the mothership confirming it with the English translation.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2018-03-08

I wasn't going to post anything about it until it was official, and now it is, so now we can talk about it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Spoiler - Spoiler - Spoiler
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-08 1:01 pm 

We got a Jhoira commander, and she interacts with artifacts!

Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain
2UR
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer
3/3
Whenever you cast a historic spell, draw a card. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)

A card, spell, or permanent is historic if it has the legendary supertype, the artifact card type, or the Saga subtype. Having two of those qualities doesn't make an object more historic than another or provide an additional bonus—an object either is historic or it isn't.
Some abilities trigger "whenever you cast a historic spell." Such an ability resolves before the spell that caused it to trigger. It resolves even if that spell is countered.
An ability that triggers "whenever you cast a historic spell" doesn't trigger if a historic card is put onto the battlefield without being cast.
Lands are never cast, so abilities that trigger "whenever you cast a historic spell" won't trigger if you play a legendary land. They also won't trigger if a card on the battlefield transforms into a legendary land, as the Ixalan and Rivals of Ixalan double-faced cards do.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dominaria leak, now offical
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-08 8:49 pm 

Just had a quick read, not sure how I feel about the mechanics, the 'historic' thing, but oh my, so many Legendary creatures... So many decks to build...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 12:23 am 

Fyi Scryfall put together mockups for the DOM spoiled cards given they're now officially spoiled: https://scryfall.com/sets/dom?order=spoiled&as=grid

Or text-only view since that's all the information we have anyway: https://scryfall.com/sets/dom?as=text&order=name

There's a significant Legendary subtheme via the "historic" mechanic. (Scryfall added a search keyword for "historic" cards too: https://scryfall.com/search?q=is%3Ahistoric)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 5:00 am 

I like all the legendaries and legendary subtheme but a bit underwhelmed overall.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Spoiler - Spoiler - Spoiler
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 8:48 am 

As much as people wanted a blue/red artifacts general, all I can see is yet another blue/red general that takes twenty minute turns...

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 8:57 am 

And she's the captain of the Weatherlight?

Now would be a great time to return to publishing books and not ruining my life, WOTC.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 9:37 am 

Jori En without the hoops? Sign me right the fuck up!

I will say, I'd appreciate something a little more... interesting... somewhere down the line. A legendary Vedalken Archmage is not winning any creativity contests for damn sure. But sometimes simplicity is good too. This does allow for some very open-ended deckbuilding, so that's a plus. You basically know you want to have a shitload of Artifacts but beyond that? Anything, really.

Yeah, I'm okay with this for now, but I do hope they expand upon this more rather than checking the box and moving on.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 11:05 am 

I'm honestly going to be surprised as all hell if she doesn't break cEDH wide open. She turns all of your Moxes and LEDs and Lotus Petals and whatnot into Street Wraith without the life loss. On that note she might see Legacy or even Vintage play...

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 11:34 am 

Ewwwwww

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 2:15 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Ewwwwww

Even worse, the FAQ says you can remove counters to re-trigger an ability next upkeep...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 2:21 pm 

If you didn't already hate SDT in EDH; you will now.

At least she's a better wish-fulfillment than Ulrich, was...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 3:46 pm 

I'm not sure if i should be concerned about Legendary Sorceries

also

Rat.dec
Rat Colony
1B
Creature — Rat
2/1
Rat Colony gets +1/+0 for each other Rat you control.
A deck can have any number of cards named Rat Colony. :lol:

and I foresee a small and short discussion regarding a ban on

Mox Amber
Legendary Artifact
T: Add one mana of any color among legendary creatures and planeswalkers you control.

• Mox Amber's ability adds one mana of the color of your choice from among the colors of legendary creatures and planeswalkers you control. It doesn't add one mana of each of those colors.
• If you control no legendary creatures or planeswalkers, you can activate Mox Amber's ability, but you won't add any mana.
• If your legendary creatures and planeswalkers are all colorless, you can activate Mox Amber's ability, but you won't add any mana. Colorless is not a color.

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 5:16 pm 

I highly highly doubt it will be banned, or even remotely close to overpowered. The other moxen are good because of how powerful they are early. This thing is useless in 90% of decks before turn 3 at the earliest.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-09 6:29 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Even worse, the FAQ says you can remove counters to re-trigger an ability next upkeep...

Bad enough that you can play it, do the "I" and then find some way to destroy it

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next