[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Lifeline and Theros gods

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 9:22 pm

Post subject: Lifeline and Theros gods
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 1:24 am 

Normally, with , if all creatures would die from a wrath then no creatures would return as there isn't a creature in play. With the Theros gods, if your source of devotion was the other creatures, then the god stops being a creature when they are in the graveyard, so I was wondering if the Lifeline triggers would see that god as a creature for the purposes of bringing the other creatures back. I know the god will stop being a creature, but at what point during the Lifeline triggering process?

I wasn't able to find a ruling with a search, so I am asking here.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Lifeline and Theros gods
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 3:19 am 

-> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 4:26 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 4:39 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 7:12 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 9:39 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 10:56 am 

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2018-Apr-17 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 11:38 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 11:54 am 

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 1:31 pm 

I used to play Vintage a fair bit, and back then was a fairly common card that used the 'Intervening If' trigger -- so the opponent needed to have more creatures that you before your turn started in order for it to trigger at all. And, if you could get rid of creatures while the trigger was still on the stack, you could prevent it from going off.

Interestingly, it's no longer an intervening if trigger.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-17 11:30 pm 

My friend explained it to me in a way I understood (and felt stupid for not thinking of myself).

You would resolve the wrath before ever putting the Lifeline triggers on the stack (even if they are delayed), so none of the dead creatures would see the god as a creature, since devotion was lost.

I think since the trigger is delayed, my brain skipped over the part(s) where you still have to resolve the board wipe in total first :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-18 4:26 am 

That's.... not quite right. The initial trigger would see the god as a creature.

It leads you to the correct answer, but see above for the technical rulings on how it works.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-23 6:25 pm 

So, if 603.10 means that you check whether the condition is met based on the board state before the event occurs, then always triggers when multiple creatures die at once. Usually if no creatures survive, those triggers will do nothing, but if you control it, you can resolve the triggers for your opponents' creatures, then put a creature onto the field at instant speed, and resolve the triggers for your creatures so they'll come back.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-23 7:51 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-24 2:03 am 

Offline Profile