Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 1:01 am

Post subject: Re: Battlebond
AgePosted: 2018-May-30 4:07 am 

If you make Pir your commdaner, your color identity means you can't put Toothy in your deck. Notably, Pir (all the partners with folk) cannot partner with others. So you can't pair Pir with Will Kenrith, Rashmi, or Thrasios and have Toothy in your deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-30 4:11 am 

Sovarius wrote:
If you make Pir your commdaner, your color identity means you can't put Toothy in your deck. Notably, Pir (all the partners with folk) cannot partner with others. So you can't pair Pir with Will Kenrith, Rashmi, or Thrasios and have Toothy in your deck.

Yeah...that is correct. I wasn't thinking hard enough about it. I'm dumb.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re-Education and Re-Introduction into the wild
AgePosted: 2018-May-31 12:50 am 

Sorry I was a jerk, I gotta practice my tone-of-message.

thaumaturge wrote:
However, again I REEEEAAAALLLLLYYYY wanted (still do!) a foil Queen Marchesa (less so Leo since he's banned and also a huge dick move), and... this is key... as low as my chances of getting foil QM from three boxes was, my chances of getting one from BUYING SINGLES is literally ZERO.

Yeah my math was bad on that. I usually avoid foils (I'm paranoid about damaging expensive cards) so I forgot that with foil mythics scarcity moves up from a cost concern to a limiting factor. $100 was about the price of a box so I thought it might be worth, but then I checked every site I buy cards from and they were ALL out of stock :p

If you want Queen Marchesa in an active-pursuit sort of way I think the "request item" and "notify me when in stock" options on a bunch of the big site will be your best bet. Though at $100+ (only time will tell) I can totally see the wisdom in just having a CSGO CS2 draft once in a while and hoping to get lucky. Either way, I hope to see a post in chatter when you get one!

Treamayne wrote:
Personally, I think friend/foe has more playability in EDH than others have given it credit for so far. Not only will hug decks want it, but sometimes the subtle use of "friend" in an FFDA game can be the poilitical swing needed for late-game decisions. Not so blatant as to feel manipulative, but not always "nothin'" either.

I feel similarly. I think Khorvath's Fury will see play in Nekusar style decks as a wheel, though the "don't draw answers just die" option is a nice touch. Pir's Whim was the first one I got hyped for, rampant growth + a Tribute to the Wild for 4 probably makes the cut in my green decks. Virtus's Maneuver is a Fleshbag Marauder with a Raise Dead subbed for the body. The other two I'm iffy on, but that's mostly because I don't trust my friends to not kill me with any counters I give them and I don't play a lot of blue decks.

With regards to the new Couples cards ('Cause they're with Partners? Geddit? Comedy gold rite thar), they still tutor for their match and tend to be powerful on their own. Pir, Imaginitive Rascal and Toothy, Imaginary Friend would be solid in Atraxa or Bant Counters, for example. They basically draw a card the first time you cast one, so I think in some ways they would be better in the 99 than in the command zone if you were looking at Color Identity rather than Commander Synergy. Or if you want to do the sic deck thinning technique you get partner commanders, then run all the partner with cards in your colors.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Re-Education and Re-Introduction into the wild
AgePosted: 2018-May-31 1:35 am 

Evilkritter wrote:
Yeah my math was bad on that. I usually avoid foils (I'm paranoid about damaging expensive cards) so I forgot that with foil mythics scarcity moves up from a cost concern to a limiting factor. $100 was about the price of a box so I thought it might be worth, but then I checked every site I buy cards from and they were ALL out of stock :p

If you want Queen Marchesa in an active-pursuit sort of way I think the "request item" and "notify me when in stock" options on a bunch of the big site will be your best bet. Though at $100+ (only time will tell) I can totally see the wisdom in just having a CSGO CS2 draft once in a while and hoping to get lucky. Either way, I hope to see a post in chatter when you get one!

Don't sweat it too much, I need to not let stuff posted on forums get me so riled up. Whatever, we're cool now. Anyway, the thing with QM is, I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a single card. I just have so little money to spend on Magic compared to what I used to be able to do, that when I DO spend, I have to get the most bang for my buck. So while I can and will spend $300 or more on Magic at one time, I can't just get one or two cards with that.

My most recent order on TCG player was about $250 and only got to do that because of a good tax return. Anyway, that $250 had to get me as caught up as possible on FOUR SETS - both sets from Amonkeht and Ixalan blocks - and I EASILY could have spent 4 times that, had I only had the money. But during all of those sets I was completely unable to spend anything so I had, like a fat pack from Amonkeht and a draft deck from an Ixalan draft I did with friends. That's it for two years worth of sets. Still burns me that I don't at least have a full set of commons/uncommons from those blocks!

Point being, QM is just out of reach for me at this time. If I get a lucky opportunity to trade into one, that's about my only hope. Just glad I no longer care about Leovold, LOL.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-31 2:59 am 

I saw one for trade last week at my LGS. If the dude is back today I'll see what I can do.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-31 6:39 am 

If you can't get a card in foil, why not get a sweet alter? Meghan Markle would make a nice queen.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-31 11:27 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
If you can't get a card in foil, why not get a sweet alter? Meghan Markle would make a nice queen.

Hahaha that would be a fun card to have.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-02 7:43 am 

Shabbaman wrote:

LOL nice. I've considered it before but, for some reason owning alters just doesn't appeal to me. I love looking at them when posted online; I used to rigorously follow the alter threads here and over at MTGsalvation. But for some reason I just don't have much desire to commission or buy one. If I did, I would probably want an art nouveau, Mucha-esque alter buy Klug. That's the other problem - I'm super nitpicky about alters and art in general so I wouldn't settle for anything but one of the truly best alter artists and their prices tend to be about as out of reach as certain foils are! And besides all that, I really would only consider that in a situation where a foil doesn't exist at all, and I'd have to dislike the original card art. And QM has some fucking amazing art I wouldn't want painted over - thus limiting my options to border extension or art extension, etc. Actually that might be cool... shit. I will have to think it over.

scatteredsun wrote:
I saw one for trade last week at my LGS. If the dude is back today I'll see what I can do.
Shit dude! That's very cool of you to offer. If you have any luck PM me, I guess. I have some quality goods in my trade binder so I'm sure I can work something out. Few months back I had to let an LGS pillage and plunder my trade binder for some cash so my wife and I could eat and put gas in our car, but since then I've managed to build back up some decent stuff. Some of it, I'd have a hard time trading... but for a foil QM I'd happily part with basically anything but an ABUR dual.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Callin' it early, callin' it late
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-02 9:38 am 

Now that we are a week from release I think we can safely conclude which cards are good and which are not, also what will have lasting value in the set. ; )

Najeela, the Blade-Blossom seems to be following the Ramos, Dragon Engine pre-release curve. Went from $3 to $6 and is sitting at $10/$12 now as a WUBURG commander with powerful abilities but no clear deck outside of casual formats. I'm hoping I open one at the 2HG prerelease, though apparently we still only open 6 packs to build 2 decks, so my odds aren't quite as good as I hoped.

Bramble Sovereign is at the "errybody wants it pre but it's probably gonna tank" $14-$15 point. I just realized it + Felidar Guardian + any permanent that generates 2 mana on ETB goes infinite. Man, Felidar Guardian's busted, no wonder it's banned in standard.

People suspect Spellseeker will do stuff in eternal formats, but for commander it mostly gets Cyclonic Rift and the tutors.

Sentinel Tower goes in Mizzix of the Izmagnus which is apparently down to $2.50, when did that stop being a groaner in the format?

Oh, right, and Bolas Karn Arena Rector has some buzz. Not sure how good it will be in Commander though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-04 3:42 am 

The hardest thing is going to be waiting a couple more weeks for prices to settle before I start ordering singles. I keep putting a bunch of BBD in my TCGplayer cart, then throwing up in my mouth a little at the $ total. UGH.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-05 12:03 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
The hardest thing is going to be waiting a couple more weeks for prices to settle before I start ordering singles. I keep putting a bunch of BBD in my TCGplayer cart, then throwing up in my mouth a little at the $ total. UGH.

Ive done my calculations for the 6 cards I've decided to actively look for.
Sentinel Tower can probably drop a little but Pir's Whim, Stadium Vendors, Pir & Toothy are likely going to stay at chaff prices. Just the Arena Rector left to actually fork out real money for.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-09 5:27 pm 

Someone locally is selling off the Kenrith twins on Facebook - apparently they have an offer for $100NZD (about $70USD)

:O

Someone is crazy.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-09 10:36 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Someone locally is selling off the Kenrith twins on Facebook - apparently they have an offer for $100NZD (about $70USD)

:O

Someone is crazy.

That seems to be around the price for the pair of them for the promo version. It's too much, even for promos, in my opinion, but if people want to spend that kind of money on alternative art foil promos then let them.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-10 7:06 am 

Masked Thespian wrote:
That seems to be around the price for the pair of them for the promo version. It's too much, even for promos, in my opinion, but if people want to spend that kind of money on alternative art foil promos then let them.

Well, when each store is only going to get 1-3 of them, and most places have 2-4 collectors trying to get everything from every set...

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile