Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Sep-25 3:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: C18
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-14 11:27 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
Hate to be "that guy"- but tribal is never really a focus (it's the same issue as Voltron- where it never works out as a main strategy, but is often pretty good as a secondary angle...

Sorry to say, if you are playing tribal and it is not your focus, you are playing it wrong.

I'm not implying the "tribal" decks from C17 were great (or even better than C18) because, this response at least, I'm responding more to tribal in EDH than quality of Commander product. As far as I know, nobody has spent as much time on "Tribal EDH" as I have. Out of over 75 EDH decks I have built in the last decade, less than 10 have been non-tribal.

The thing about true Tribal EDH (where it is the focus and theme, not a side-show) is that you can't mis-match the strategy to the tribe. For example, there are a number of cards that make beast tokens; but if you try to make a Beast Token deck, you will likely fail. The tribe could easily carry a token sub theme, but the primary strategy should synergize with the tribe (likely stompy aggro of some flavor).

Tribe and Strategy have to reinforce each other and synergize, or your experience is what will happen. And that was the problem with the C17 "tribal" decks. They didn't match strategy to tribe very well.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: C18
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-14 6:07 pm 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
How is tribal not a focus? Tribal has even entered the Magic vernacular now as being an interchangeable synonym with "theme," i.e., Atraxa as Planeswalker Tribal or Windgrace as Tribal Lands. I don't understand this argument.

"Tribal" refers to decks that are specifically built ontop of synergies revolving around subtypes. The reason that's not a particularly strong focus for anything is simply because cards that care about subtypes (especially the best ones-) tend to be do-nothings when another player can deprive you of that subtype's presence. That is because the game is dictated by mathematically sound forces like CA and outs- redundancies and synergies within those classes of cards tend to determine what a deck's "focus" is well in advance of dressing up smaller synergies (like "cares about subtype" strategies)

Aggro_zombies wrote:
midrange

Aggro_zombies wrote:
Wizard control deck

Pedantics (and memes) aside- I get where you're coming from- and I think Treamayne made the point I was trying to by specifying the strategic element of focus. Also, I don't think this is the place for it; but if you want to make a thread in good faith about discussing deck archetypes and types elsewhere, it would be a fun discussion (but that, usually bogs down other threads if we go on about it for too long.)

Treamayne wrote:
Tribe and Strategy have to reinforce each other and synergize, or your experience is what will happen. And that was the problem with the C17 "tribal" decks. They didn't match strategy to tribe very well.

Quoted for Truth.

The C18 decks are about combining zone specific effects, recursion, and different angles of combining outs with draw acceleration. This is why, more than precons of the past- I'm excited for someone who doesn't have an EDH deck to crack one of these open to see what it does before scouring their collection and bulk bins for new pieces or different Generals to funnel the resources into.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9