Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-19 1:32 am

Post subject: Standard-to-Commander argument, for a podcast (maybe)
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-17 1:02 am 

IF somebody wants to get into commander, can they reliably make a deck out of the most recent standard's pool that is have-a-chance-to-win viable? I want to consider the idea that "You can build a respectable commander deck using only cards from the last two years."

I think It's unambiguously true right now, but has it been true for the last couple of standard rotations?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Standard-to-Commander argument, for a podcast (maybe)
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-17 3:15 am 

Evilkritter wrote:
IF somebody wants to get into commander, can they reliably make a deck out of the most recent standard's pool that is have-a-chance-to-win viable? I want to consider the idea that "You can build a respectable commander deck using only cards from the last two years."

I think It's unambiguously true right now, but has it been true for the last couple of standard rotations?

I'd say that your have been able to do that for a long, long time. Half of commander is how you play, the other half is card selection.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-17 5:22 am 

As with most things, its very meta dependent. If people you are playing against are like 4-5 on a 1 to 10 scale of power/competitive then yes.

Higher than that and its going to be fairly frustrating. Thats a super cool idea for a cast! IF you need a partner PM me ;)

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-17 7:51 am 

Just to be clear, is the argument specifically cards that are/have been standard legal, or would you be including stuff like Conspiracy and Battlebond? If the latter, hell yes. If the former, just a normal yes.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-30 7:36 am 

Yes, you can use the cards from standard to make a playable commander deck, and that it fairly intentional. Honestly, this has always been the case. Cards printed in the same set/block play well together.

Let's take Dinosaurs from Ixalan. If I, with a 20+ year old magic collection, want to make a dinosaur tribal deck the largest portion of the cards I will be adding to the deck are going to be from the Ixalan block, because they are made to be played together.

Now that brawl has come out, I would probably start there. 60 cards is a little less daunting than 100. Once you have your 60 card standard version of the deck you can add some land and only need to look for 23 or so "old" cards to make you 100 card commander deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-06 6:22 pm 

Evilkritter wrote:

If strictly on these terms, in many groups- the answer is simply no. I don't mean that to be harsh or cruel- but Standard likes to focus on particular elements of the game at a specific time- and there isn't enough sheer redundancy of effects to group the cards enough to make a cohesive and focused deck out of purely Standard legal cards most of the time.

That said, you can get most of the pieces to bridge that gap inexpensively anyways- in my experience, if you have a group of people trying to get you to join them for EDH, many of the pieces required for focusing on any kind of strategy are so relatively inexpensive, that members of the group are likely to outright give them to a new prospect from their own collection, purely out of understanding that they may never see play otherwise- and have no sort of utility in a trade. From there, yes- you can hang with a group swinging 7-9s pretty well with a deck that is cobbled together mostly out of new cards with support from inexpensive cards which play well into them or shore up the regular needs of the deck, like flushing the deck's manabase out with classic rocks like Mind Stone.

There's a misnomer that floats around of "EDH card" that applies to bulk bin rares with big splashy effects; but there is some merit to it in-and-of the tendency of bulk uncommon and rares to do something unique or redundant enough to work the kinks out of a 100 card singleton deck; and with that support; just about any standard legal general rocking mostly standard legal stuff can hunker down into a focused enough deck to be a table threat.

EDIT: On the last note- I think BFZ Standard was about as close as you could get to this with the massive amount of cool stuff that synergized from Khans and Origins- I think an argument could also be made for New Phyrexia standard, but that's probably just rose colored glasses about escaping how miserable Standard itself actually was.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile