Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-23 6:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Question of the Week
AgePosted: 2019-Jan-18 10:05 am 

Is 'Other People's Decks' still a thing you do? I've been trying to improve my Mathas political deck and have found this primer to be quite thought-provoking. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the deck and playing politics in general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-19 12:11 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Yeah, it is, and I feel like I don't do it enough. I'd be happy to look at what you have.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-19 12:16 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Yeah, it is, and I feel like I don't do it enough. I'd be happy to look at what you have.

Oh I meant your thoughts on the primer. Purple Hippo right up your alley. My deck is DEFINITELY not OPD-worthy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-19 3:54 am 

Have you tried out Arena?

What do you think the chances are of Arena getting Brawl/EDH? I know that Brawl was not really recieved well in my area, and I only played a few games in paper and a few on MTGO before I lost interest as well.

On a side note, what do you think the chances are of Arena getting older stuff like MTGO did?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-19 7:28 am 

Sheldon wrote:

If you need something for OPD, here's an experiment to analyze:

As adapted for EDH:
WUBRG General
5 ea basic land
one 10-card cycle of duals (as agreed by playgroup - thematic in this deck)
8 cards each: Land, Colorless, White, Blue, Black, Red, Green, Gold
- Cards color-classify based on color identity (Playgroups may allow hybrid to slot in one of their colors)
- Except land, each category can only have 1 card in each CMC 1-8

5x Plains
General Horde of Notions - Rainbow Stairwell

5x Island
5x Swamp
5x Mountain
5x Forest

Land Cycle
Celestial Colonnade
Shambling Vent
Creeping Tar Pit
Wandering Fumarole
Lavaclaw Reaches
Hissing Quagmire
Raging Ravine
Needle Spires
Stirring Wildwood
Lumbering Falls

Land
Flamekin Village
Command Tower
Opal Palace
Path of Ancestry
Primal Beyond
Reliquary Tower
Terrain Generator
Thawing Glaciers

Colorless
Expedition Map
Darksteel Garrison
Crucible of Worlds
Ghirapur Orrery
Prismatic Geoscope
Obelisk of Urd
Scour from Existence
Eldrazi Conscription

White
Reconnaissance
Hoofprints of the Stag
Terra Eternal
Marshal's Anthem
Planar Outburst
True Conviction
Fated Retribution
Archangel's Light

Blue
Wind Zendikon
Military Intelligence
Rhystic Study
Master of Waves
Mulldrifter
Aethersnipe
Thundercloud Elemental
Tidal Force

Black
Foul-Tongue Shriek
Cover of Darkness
Retreat to Hagra
Ashling, the Extinguisher
Patriarch's Bidding
Dread
Hedonist's Trove
Baleful Force

Red
Flamekin Harbinger
Brighthearth Banneret
Incandescent Soulstoke
Embodiment of Fury
Malignus
Rage Reflection
Hateflayer
Living Inferno

Green
Burgeoning
Prismatic Omen
Fertilid
Timbermare
Embodiment of Insight
Grave Sifter
Zendikar Resurgent
Liege of the Tangle

Gold
Embodiment of Spring
Hull Breach
Animar, Soul of Elements
Gruul War Chant
Urban Evolution
Rubblehulk
Omnath, Locus of Rage
Maelstrom Wanderer

General: Horde of Notions
Land - 43
5x Plains
5x Island
5x Swamp
5x Mountain
5x Forest
Celestial Colonnade
Shambling Vent
Creeping Tar Pit
Wandering Fumarole
Lavaclaw Reaches
Hissing Quagmire
Raging Ravine
Needle Spires
Stirring Wildwood
Lumbering Falls
Flamekin Village
Command Tower
Opal Palace
Path of Ancestry
Primal Beyond
Reliquary Tower
Terrain Generator
Thawing Glaciers

Creatures - 26
Flamekin Harbinger
Embodiment of Spring
Brighthearth Banneret
Incandescent Soulstoke
Fertilid
Animar, Soul of Elements
Master of Waves
Ashling, the Extinguisher
Embodiment of Fury
Timbermare
Mulldrifter
Malignus
Embodiment of Insight
True Conviction
Aethersnipe
Dread
Grave Sifter
Rubblehulk
Thundercloud Elemental
Hateflayer
Omnath, Locus of Rage
Tidal Force
Baleful Force
Living Inferno
Liege of the Tangle
Maelstrom Wanderer

Other - 30
Expedition Map
Crucible of Worlds
Ghirapur Orrery
Prismatic Geoscope
Obelisk of Urd
Darksteel Garrison
Reconnaissance
Burgeoning
Hoofprints of the Stag
Military Intelligence
Cover of Darkness
Prismatic Omen
Terra Eternal
Rhystic Study
Retreat to Hagra
Marshal's Anthem
Gruul War Chant
Rage Reflection
Hedonist's Trove
Zendikar Resurgent
Wind Zendikon
Eldrazi Conscription
Foul-Tongue Shriek
Scour from Existence
Fated Retribution
Hull Breach
Planar Outburst
Patriarch's Bidding
Urban Evolution
Archangel's Light

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-20 5:51 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Swmystery wrote:
This may be a little off-topic, Sheldon, but is there any chance we could get an update of the database you use for your decks? The lists at the bottom of your articles don't appear to have been consistently updated since around Ixalan or so.

I realise it's a minor concern, but it's been getting more difficult to follow along with your great deck update articles without the current lists to go with them.

Update on this: I had an extended discussion with Cedric (the editor) about this. We've worked out a plan to get it done and keep them updated. It'll be a few weeks before everything gets in. We're going to restart with the latest versions of everything post-MTGRNA updates, then go from there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-20 10:59 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Swmystery wrote:
This may be a little off-topic, Sheldon, but is there any chance we could get an update of the database you use for your decks? The lists at the bottom of your articles don't appear to have been consistently updated since around Ixalan or so.

I realise it's a minor concern, but it's been getting more difficult to follow along with your great deck update articles without the current lists to go with them.

Update on this: I had an extended discussion with Cedric (the editor) about this. We've worked out a plan to get it done and keep them updated. It'll be a few weeks before everything gets in. We're going to restart with the latest versions of everything post-MTGRNA updates, then go from there.

Awesome! Thank you for looking into this so quickly, Sheldon.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-25 11:10 pm 

The other night in our league the question came up about using prerelease cards. I commented to the store manager that the EDH stance from the RC was to always allow them, but being a sanctioned event he said they were not allowed. So part 1 of the question would be is the stance of the RC still "use em if you got em" when it comes to prerelease cards? And part two would be a broader how do you resolve conflicting rules like this or allowing proxies (another thing our league doesn't allow).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-25 11:41 pm 

Question: are you planning some sort of interview series with the new CAG members? I would be interested in reading about how they feel about the future of the format and how they look at controversial subjects like still not having unbanned Recurring Nightmare.

I've read some stuff by some of these people (I might have heard of that Stybs guy before, didn't he own a taco restaurant), and I guess I could start watching youtube videos or listening to podcasts but I won't. A "other people's deck" format with a couple of questions would be highly appreciated.

Also, when will they start showing up on this forum. Traffic has been slow since Joz left.

cryogen wrote:
The other night in our league the question came up about using prerelease cards. I commented to the store manager that the EDH stance from the RC was to always allow them, but being a sanctioned event he said they were not allowed. So part 1 of the question would be is the stance of the RC still "use em if you got em" when it comes to prerelease cards? And part two would be a broader how do you resolve conflicting rules like this or allowing proxies (another thing our league doesn't allow).

This is not a question to me, but don't we get the EDH B/R update once the new set is legal? Doesn't that make it kind of weird to allow prerelease cards that might be banned the next day? Right? Right? Did I phrase this as a question?

Personally I wouldn't mind, a card in the hand is a card in the hand.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-25 11:51 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
Question: are you planning some sort of interview series with the new CAG members? I would be interested in reading about how they feel about the future of the format and how they look at controversial subjects like still not having unbanned Recurring Nightmare.

I've read some stuff by some of these people (I might have heard of that Stybs guy before, didn't he own a taco restaurant), and I guess I could start watching youtube videos or listening to podcasts but I won't. A "other people's deck" format with a couple of questions would be highly appreciated.

Also, when will they start showing up on this forum. Traffic has been slow since Joz left.

cryogen wrote:

This is not a question to me, but don't we get the EDH B/R update once the new set is legal? Doesn't that make it kind of weird to allow prerelease cards that might be banned the next day? Right? Right? Did I phrase this as a question?

Personally I wouldn't mind, a card in the hand is a card in the hand.

To the first half, I second wanting to see a series of interviews involving the CAG. Most people I've spoken with have little to no idea who these people are (which sidebar, makes me move less away from my previous hesitation at including random forum members on the CAG).

To the second half, ban list announcement comes Monday after prerelease, so there is still around a one week period where the cards are not officially legal (from WotC POV) but players have access to the cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-26 1:38 am 

What are you (personally or the RC as a body) planning on having the CAG get up to as their first orders of business?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-26 5:31 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Both Shabbaman and spacemonaut will be getting answered next week.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-01 7:02 am 

Well, I'm glad we cleared that whole Recurring Nightmare nonsense and I'm looking forward to the CAG content!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 12:53 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Since we have a few days until next week's deadline, I'd like to ask those of you who read and post in this particular thread (Shabbaman, Cryo, Tremayne, etc.) to come up with a question or series of questions regarding the 36 PWs in War of the Spark. I'd like it to be a little deeper than "Will all PWs be commanders now?" Take a few days, brainstorm among yourselves, and see what you come up with. Appropriate credit will be given. Feel free to post drafts and then a final question here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-09 1:38 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Since we have a few days until next week's deadline, I'd like to ask those of you who read and post in this particular thread (Shabbaman, Cryo, Tremayne, etc.) to come up with a question or series of questions regarding the 36 PWs in War of the Spark. I'd like it to be a little deeper than "Will all PWs be commanders now?" Take a few days, brainstorm among yourselves, and see what you come up with. Appropriate credit will be given. Feel free to post drafts and then a final question here.

What do you mean? Questions regarding planeswalkers in particular (and their role in EDH), or questions for those planeswalkers, in the vein of your interview with a general articles? (I assume the former, but just making sure.)

Unrelated, I noticed on Twitter that you are going to be at an event in Tampa. Are your travels still pretty limited due to your schedule and health? I really can't justify a 20 hour drive one way, but if you ever have plans to be in within a reasonable distance I would love to meet and get a game in.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next