Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-05 3:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Question of the Week
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-05 2:46 am 

Follow-up planeswalkers question....

Were you expecting this much backlash from your SCG announcement to not legalize planeswalkers for a trial period?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-05 4:12 am 
EDH Rules Committee

cryogen wrote:
Follow-up planeswalkers question....

Were you expecting this much backlash from your SCG announcement to not legalize planeswalkers for a trial period?

A little. I don't know if I'd call it backlash yet, since it seems more like a few passionately vocal voices than a mass outcry.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-05 8:04 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Swmystery wrote:
This may be a little off-topic, Sheldon, but is there any chance we could get an update of the database you use for your decks? The lists at the bottom of your articles don't appear to have been consistently updated since around Ixalan or so.

I realise it's a minor concern, but it's been getting more difficult to follow along with your great deck update articles without the current lists to go with them.

Update on this: I had an extended discussion with Cedric (the editor) about this. We've worked out a plan to get it done and keep them updated. It'll be a few weeks before everything gets in. We're going to restart with the latest versions of everything post-MTGRNA updates, then go from there.

Would it be possible to get a further update on this sometime, Sheldon? Or have all the decklists now been updated to their most recent versions?

(also, sidebar since I don't use Twitter: congratulations on your successful Masters defence! I just had my PhD viva today, so that was very much in my thoughts...)

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Ephara, God of the Polis (Azorius Men O'War)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 4:34 am 

Now that SCG has put you behind a paywall, do you have any plans to move your articles to a public venue?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 5:32 am 

I would assume not as that would almost certainly violate whatever agreement he has with SCG

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 6:42 am 

OldVig wrote:
Now that SCG has put you behind a paywall, do you have any plans to move your articles to a public venue?

It's free after a week, but something similar was true for the old premium (after a month iirc) and that never got me to read anything.

Casual formats might be less dependent on current content, but as every other EDH writer always seem to write about the same deck and same cards I'm not sure how that works out if you are a week late to the party. And if you want to generate discussion on social media you're missing a lot of buzz if some people read your stuff and some people don't. Or later, anyway.

And yes, in theory I could pay for content (I actually had Premium for a while when I had an interest in standard), but it seems a bit expensive for just Sheldon and Bennie's articles. If you're into more that just EDH your getting more for your money I suppose.

Having said that, publishing RC explanations of new (un)bannings behind a paywall seems wrong to me.

Is there a question in all this? How's your health Sheldon? How are you coping with recovery, travel and work?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 6:48 am 

OldVig wrote:

I know I don't order a ton of stuff from SCG, but I would usually order at least $20-40/year as my way of saying thanks for the content. I did have premium a long time ago because I ordered a lot at one time (iirc if you ordered $100+ you got it or something like that...) but I don't care for standard most of the time. I don't like Modern. I rarely get to play in person so not much point in trying to keep up with formats that rotate a lot. I would love more Vintage/Legacy articles, but again I rarely get to play those either.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 7:12 am 

Ordering from SCG is very unappealing if you need international shipping, not to mention the inflated US card prices. You get a discount on cards if you have premium though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-25 7:15 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
It's free after a week, but something similar was true for the old premium (after a month iirc) and that never got me to read anything.

Thanks for pointing that out, my bad for skim reading the first time.

It still is an obstacle to open communications from the rc.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 5:34 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I'll forward this feedback to the folks at SCG.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 5:54 am 

Sheldon wrote:
I'll forward this feedback to the folks at SCG.

I mentioned it to them on twitter a few days ago, but of course it has more clout coming from you :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-02 7:36 pm 

Let me preface this by stating that I understand their business decision do don't take issue with it, even if I don't like it personally. I don't order enough from them to justify getting a premium account and would need to spend almost $1,000 a year there in order to break even. BUT....

I don't like the idea of Sheldon's ban list update articles being hidden behind a paywall on an exclusive site. (Yeah, I know it's always been exclusive but since they were free there was no barrier to reading them.) These articles specifically, and the sporadic ones throughout the year that are written with the full weight and authority of the Rules Commitee should be available to everyone in real time. It isn't fair to players to get a "Hey we banned this card you really liked, and if you want to get a more detailed reason beyond the announcement then fork over $8 to SCG... or just wait a week and then you can find out." Hyperbole? Probably a little. But Sheldon frequently uses his platform at SCG to get the RC message out to the public, and that shouldn't be paywall hidden. All his other articles? Sure, make them premium.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8