Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-20 7:59 pm

Post subject: Re: Question of the Week
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-19 4:01 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Shabbaman wrote:
How's your health, and has your taste recovered? Considering your dinner party updates I assume your taste is okay.

Great, and thanks for asking. No recurrences or other difficulties save for some thyroid damage, which doc is taking care of with meds. My taste has recovered as well as I think it's going to--maybe about 95% of what it was. I can endure spicier food than I used to (and I already liked it pretty hot) and I have a weird thing about salt--it's almost never right. Stuff is either too salty or not salty enough.

The final test (according to the oncologist) was if I can taste chocolate. I'm happy to report that as of about a month ago, I now can. For the longest time after treatment, dark chocolate (which I love) was simply blank to me; milk chocolate (which I'm meh about) tasted like what white chocolate tastes for other folks. I still can't pick all the nuances out of it, but at least I can taste it.

Wine palate I think will never be quite as sharp, but sharp enough (like I said, maybe 95%) to be able to enjoy my favorite hobby.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-25 4:34 am 

More of a Scott question: how awesome was it being on the C18 design team? Any stories you can share?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-26 6:09 pm 

Sheldon, all joking about unbanning Recurring Nightmare aside, have you recently tested this in your group or store? I recall you mentioned you were planning to, but I don't recall reading about the results. It does sound like a fun exercise.

scatteredsun wrote:
I see a lot of new players falling for what I call "trap cards." These are cards like Iona, Vorinclex, Omniscience, etc. Cards that look like they're big powerful fun cards but are, in actuality, fun killers. I do find they tend to remove those cards after a few games but I feel bad for them because most are not cheap. They end up spending $20 on something they only use for a few games before they get ganged up on. It's an expensive learning opportunity for some of the kids I play with.

I am typically a fan of a smaller, sleeker banlist but was just wondering if this viewpoint of saving new players from making a mistake has ever been taken into consideration when the RC discusses potential bans?

I saw Sheldon's reply to this. We could make a sticky of a discussion nobody likes to play against. Or, dunno, just rename the "Ban card X... it wins too many games in my area!" thread.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-09 6:41 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Shabbaman wrote:
Sheldon, all joking about unbanning Recurring Nightmare aside, have you recently tested this in your group or store? I recall you mentioned you were planning to, but I don't recall reading about the results. It does sound like a fun exercise.

scatteredsun wrote:
I see a lot of new players falling for what I call "trap cards." These are cards like Iona, Vorinclex, Omniscience, etc. Cards that look like they're big powerful fun cards but are, in actuality, fun killers. I do find they tend to remove those cards after a few games but I feel bad for them because most are not cheap. They end up spending $20 on something they only use for a few games before they get ganged up on. It's an expensive learning opportunity for some of the kids I play with.

I am typically a fan of a smaller, sleeker banlist but was just wondering if this viewpoint of saving new players from making a mistake has ever been taken into consideration when the RC discusses potential bans?

I saw Sheldon's reply to this. We could make a sticky of a discussion nobody likes to play against. Or, dunno, just rename the "Ban card X... it wins too many games in my area!" thread.

This one is getting answered next week :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-10 9:27 am 

Disclaimer: this isn't a Recurring Nightmare question or a PBtE one, promise.

With how stupid prices have gotten regarding the Reserve List because of stuff like random buyouts and new tech (I'm looking at you, Wall of Kelp), does this play into your decisions for the more reasonably priced cards? Like obviously Library is already crazy expensive, but Recurring Nightmare could easily hit one hundred overnight. Not getting into the merits of legalizing RN, but would that sort of price jump give you pause?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-10 9:40 am 

Has the RC considered testing with Sylvan Primordial off the list and Deadeye Navigator on it? If you've dome something similar- would you be willing to talk about how it effected your games?

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-10 11:18 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Mr Degradation wrote:
Has the RC considered testing with Sylvan Primordial off the list and Deadeye Navigator on it? If you've dome something similar- would you be willing to talk about how it effected your games?

This begins with a premise that Deadeye Navigator was a major factor in the banning of Sylvan Primordial in the first place, which was not the case.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-10 11:22 am 

papa_funk wrote:
Mr Degradation wrote:

This begins with a premise that Deadeye Navigator was a major factor in the banning of Sylvan Primordial in the first place, which was not the case.

Interdesting :D Thanks

EDIT: So, if I may revise the question...

Have you guys experimented with unbanning Sylvan Primordial- and if so, would you be willing to share insight on the hurdles it provides in terms of keeping the game fresh and fun as compared to say Ugin, the Spirit Dragon. Karn Liberated or even Protean Hulk? Rather, how does it still centralize the game to the same degree in a world where fatties that ramp or mass answer have become so common?

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-10 8:01 pm 

cryogen wrote:
Disclaimer: this isn't a Recurring Nightmare question or a PBtE one, promise.

With how stupid prices have gotten regarding the Reserve List because of stuff like random buyouts and new tech (I'm looking at you, Wall of Kelp), does this play into your decisions for the more reasonably priced cards? Like obviously Library is already crazy expensive, but Recurring Nightmare could easily hit one hundred overnight. Not getting into the merits of legalizing RN, but would that sort of price jump give you pause?

I doubt the RC takes that into consideration, but it is an interesting point. For those who don't already own the card it'd be kind to keep it banned from a card availability viewpoint. But with that philosophy there's little reason not to ban my duals, which I wouldn't like.

RN's price has jumped a few months ago, I guess in anticipation of an unbanning. I still think the card is crazy good, and I doubt a scenario like how Kokusho turned out to be merely good (as opposed to broken) is likely. But all jokes aside, it'd be nice to read about test results.

The card might even be better now, as it is a reliable trigger for Constellation. 100 bucks might even be on the low side of the price range.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-12 1:52 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
Have you guys experimented with unbanning Sylvan Primordial- and if so, would you be willing to share insight on the hurdles it provides in terms of keeping the game fresh and fun as compared to say Ugin, the Spirit Dragon. Karn Liberated or even Protean Hulk? Rather, how does it still centralize the game to the same degree in a world where fatties that ramp or mass answer have become so common?

You seem to be implying here that cards like SyPrime have become common, where in fact they have not. In fact the ban announcement specifically stated that if it did one thing or the other it might have been fine, but that by combining the ramp with the removal, it became a problem. I'm pretty sure if something else was printed that did this, there would be a lot of talk about banning it.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-19 12:20 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Shabbaman wrote:

scatteredsun wrote:

This one is getting answered next week :)

Follow-up to this:

What sort of feedback do you consider "good"? For instance, I've talked before about experiences with banned cards within my cube, but at the same time I recognize that a draft format such as cube has positives and negatives for card testing (i.e. you largely take away the notion of building around a card in order to break it but you also can't properly build a deck to include removal and counter-options). So if players give their experiences and feedback from.card testing, what info are you looking for beyond "I played with X and it was broken and everyone hates it"?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-26 2:53 pm 

Magical_Hacker wrote:
How can new members be added to the rules committee?

You must successfully behead a current committee member in a duel. Why'd you think it was called highlander in the first place?

(I've been lurking in ambush for years now, but Sheldon lives in Florida and the rest of the committee has a fortress of solitude in Canadia, so it's not terribly practical.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-11 2:05 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Cryogen's question regarding feedback is the one getting answered this week. Keep 'em coming!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-11 6:42 am 

/sits and waits patiently for my question to be answered

:P

(Apologies if it has been but I looked on SCG and couldn't find it)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-11 2:10 pm 

When you build decks, do you try to have matching basic lands or are your decks a hodge-podge of whatever you find laying around?
:mrgreen:

Jugan, the Rising Star - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile