Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-25 9:52 pm

Post subject: Wizards don't/won't let the market control them!
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-27 5:02 am 

This is a thing that keeps bothering me, so Ima bother other people about it! People complain that "Wizards is letting the secondary market control their reprints!" while demanding that they reprint specific cards for LITERALLY no other reason than their secondary market price.

So, thought experiment, they throw the reserved list into the trash, screw the secondary market. They decide to reprint all five moxes and Black Lotus. Where do they reprint them? They don't want them in standard, it would ruin standard. They don't want them in modern, same reason. Not in legacy either, same reason. Okay, so it only goes in Vintage. I guess they print a Vintage Only draft set? Or a From The Vault Banned?

Wheel of Fortune would be a fun reprint. Probably goes in a Commander Precon, because Wizards 100% does not want that garbage in Modern and it's already banned in Legacy. Time Walk? Time Twister? Ancestral Recall?

Okay, what about non-reserved list. People were confused as hell when Scapeshift and Crucible of Worlds got Core Set reprints. Some people complained it was a wasted slot in limited. Like, they saw the open slots and reprinted popular cards that were in demand and could be interesting in the Standard format.

I put forth the argument that Wizards DOESN'T let the secondary market dictate their reprints, and never has. That most people who are complaining WANT a reprint that Wizards DOESN'T want. They want to create products that stand alone as complete experiences, without having to awkwardly jam in reprints for no other reason than their secondary market price.

That being said, I generally want the cards people say should be reprinted to get reprinted.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wizards don't/won't let the market control them!
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-27 5:31 am 

The whole point of printing the Masters sets was to relieve secondary market pressure on Modern and keep the format affordable.

Scapeshift and Crucible serve no purpose in M19 and are actively bad in both Draft and Standard. They're there solely to drive hype, and they drive hype by letting players get their hands on those cards for less than exorbitant prices.

Wizards lets expensive cards drive reprint decisions all the time. They have been burned in the past with loading some of the Commander decks will too much value while others were behind the curve, so they were more cautious this time. I think players would be less irked about it if MSRP hadn't been raised simultaneously.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile