MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/

Magiccards.info Acquired By Scryfall
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18899
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Segrus [ 2018-Aug-06 2:00 am ]
Post subject:  Magiccards.info Acquired By Scryfall

I don't know what everyone else uses, but I've been using magiccards.info for...a decade? Something like that? I have always enjoyed how lean and simple its advanced search functions are to use, plus it isn't blocked by my work :oops:

Keeping up with new sets, new reprints of cards, new translations and such must be rough though. There's been times in the past when it takes quite a long time for an update. I'm really thankful for the effort, and I'll miss the site. I guess I'll have to learn how to use Scryfall now.

Author:  tgambitg [ 2018-Aug-06 2:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Magiccards.info Acquired By Scryfall

I've been playing around with it for a bit, and it doesn't seem too bad.. I still need to do some deep searching and see how it performs when I'm looking for "that one card" to finish a theme of a deck...

I like how the images are so far.

Author:  spacemonaut [ 2018-Aug-06 3:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Magiccards.info Acquired By Scryfall

The announcement, for those who haven't seen it: https://scryfall.com/blog/scryfall-magiccards-info-190

Fwiw, the search syntax for magiccards.info all works the same on Scryfall, though there's other stuff added (like "ci:simic" as an alias for "ci:ug").

Author:  Sinis [ 2018-Aug-06 5:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Magiccards.info Acquired By Scryfall

Segrus wrote:
I don't know what everyone else uses, but I've been using magiccards.info for...a decade? Something like that? I have always enjoyed how lean and simple its advanced search functions are to use, plus it isn't blocked by my work :oops:
I've been using it ever since I discovered it. Probably 8ish years now.

I always hated gatherer, and magiccards.info's lean interface with no real ads (just partners on pricing) was a real sell for me. I still use it, and plan on using until I get a redirect to scryfall (and then, maybe I'll give scryfall a chance).

Quote:
Keeping up with new sets, new reprints of cards, new translations and such must be rough though. There's been times in the past when it takes quite a long time for an update. I'm really thankful for the effort, and I'll miss the site. I guess I'll have to learn how to use Scryfall now.

Translations and whatnot must have been hard to manage, but, I don't think it would have been to ridiculous to keep up with new sets. For a while, after the MTGJudge app got a cease and desist, I toyed with making my own searchable database app with search terms/syntax based on magiccards.info but never really got around to it. Magiccards.info's slowness to update new sets sometimes irritated me, and I often wanted something that would be release-ready.

I had (mostly) programmed a scraper in python that could would parse the html from gatherer and deposit card data into easily machine-read xml. I think that kind of expertise would be rather common (I am a very novice programmer), and I often felt surprised that magiccards.info didn't have a quicker uptake on new sets in English.

Author:  Viperion [ 2018-Aug-06 7:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Magiccards.info Acquired By Scryfall

It certainly looks more slick and I like the "Commander" option where it will only return cards with a colour identity equal to whatever you put in (if that's an option on magiccards I don't know where it is) but the search results screen has the card images a little big for my liking and it's noticeably slower which what I really liked about magiccards. RIP best search engine, you were the best.

Author:  Marit Lage [ 2018-Aug-06 8:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Magiccards.info Acquired By Scryfall

Viperion wrote:
It certainly looks more slick and I like the "Commander" option where it will only return cards with a colour identity equal to whatever you put in (if that's an option on magiccards I don't know where it is) but the search results screen has the card images a little big for my liking and it's noticeably slower which what I really liked about magiccards. RIP best search engine, you were the best.

If you go to Advanced Search, there's an option for color identity, though it's a bit buggy with DFCs.

Color identity (ci:wug) will return cards that have a color identity that is white, blue and/or green, but not red or black.

Exact color match (c!urm) only cards that are blue and red.

Author:  Segrus [ 2018-Aug-06 8:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Magiccards.info Acquired By Scryfall

Sinis wrote:
Translations and whatnot must have been hard to manage, but, I don't think it would have been to ridiculous to keep up with new sets. For a while, after the MTGJudge app got a cease and desist, I toyed with making my own searchable database app with search terms/syntax based on magiccards.info but never really got around to it. Magiccards.info's slowness to update new sets sometimes irritated me, and I often wanted something that would be release-ready.

I had (mostly) programmed a scraper in python that could would parse the html from gatherer and deposit card data into easily machine-read xml. I think that kind of expertise would be rather common (I am a very novice programmer), and I often felt surprised that magiccards.info didn't have a quicker uptake on new sets in English.

From what I've seen on Reddit, the person who ran magiccards.info hasn't played Magic in a long time and would often receive hate from people when a translation or something wasn't quite right. So I suppose that's why I say it is rough.

I'm also a novice programmer (well, for me, novice at most generous). So you're quite a few steps ahead of where I would be at.

Author:  Sinis [ 2018-Aug-13 2:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Magiccards.info Acquired By Scryfall

Segrus wrote:
From what I've seen on Reddit, the person who ran magiccards.info hasn't played Magic in a long time and would often receive hate from people when a translation or something wasn't quite right. So I suppose that's why I say it is rough.
Well that sucks. This is why we can't have nice things, I guess.

My response would have been to just not support translation :/

Quote:
I'm also a novice programmer (well, for me, novice at most generous). So you're quite a few steps ahead of where I would be at.

I more meant it as in that if someone had the expertise to create magiccards.info, I'm pretty sure they could devote a couple of days to making a scraper. But, there's no accounting for a loss of interest in the project.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 7 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/