Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-19 10:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guilds of Ravnica
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-17 10:12 am 

Arcades Mk. II and Doran, beware:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-17 10:19 am 

Skyknight wrote:
Arcades Mk. II and Doran, beware:

My Doran deck says Booo. BOOO I SAY!

However, this is the sort of thing that my Anax and Cymede is looking for

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 1:15 am 

Divine Visitation will trigger Primal Vigor at the cast and at each replacement, causing Raise the Alarm to make eight Angels, correct?

Edit: Ooh. I have some spots for Citywide Bust.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 1:34 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Divine Visitation will trigger Primal Vigor at the cast and at each replacement, causing Raise the Alarm to make eight Angels, correct?

I think not, sadly.
Comp Rules wrote:
614.5. A replacement effect doesn’t invoke itself repeatedly; it gets only one opportunity to affect an event or any modified events that may replace it.
Example: A player controls two permanents, each with an ability that reads “If a creature you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, it deals double that damage to that permanent or player instead.” A creature that normally deals 2 damage will deal 8 damage—not just 4, and not an infinite amount.

If Visitation were a trigger rather than a replacement (something like "Whenever you create one or more non-Angel creature tokens, exile them and create that many 4/4 White Angel creature tokens"), the replacement from Vigor would see two separate events to modify (first the Alarm and then the triggered ability) and you would end up with eight tokens, but because they are both replacements they can only affect the event once each.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 1:38 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 1:40 pm 

Skyknight wrote:

heh.

way to keep Vintage interesting for the 4 people still playing it, WotC.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 6:01 pm 

So... I know it's kinda douchy, but when I use Etrata as my commander, it goes back to the command zone instead of shuffling it away, right? So I play her three turns in a row, equip boots, back it up with counter magic, and take the prize for most unsatisfying win ever, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 6:05 pm 

I don't know, you'd need a lot of mana to replay her out of the command zone multiple times.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 6:38 pm 

Yeah better to bounce her to your hand with Erratic Portal/Crystal Shard/Deadeye Navigator, or even by Ninjitsu-ing in something after combat damage (you won't get the Ninja trigger but you will get Etraxa into your hand). Also, your opponent has to have three creatures to exile. But yeah, that works.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 6:40 pm 

Nigerian Prince wrote:

So... I know it's kinda douchy, but when I use Etrata as my commander, it goes back to the command zone instead of shuffling it away, right? So I play her three turns in a row, equip boots, back it up with counter magic, and take the prize for most unsatisfying win ever, right?

Like Shabbaman said that's fairly expensive. You also need to do that 2-3 times over to win: her ability only makes a singular opponent lose, you'll still have others to worry about.

Strategies being discussed so far involve bouncing her (Peel from Reality, Vedalken Mastermind) or flickering her (Deadeye Navigator) while her triggered ability is on the stack. Her ability will resolve and exile a creature with a hit counter, but it will be unable to find the same Etrata that triggered that ability so nothing gets shuffled into your library. If you bounced Etrata you can now cast her again from your hand for her normal cost.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 6:51 pm 

I suppose you could proliferate, but then poison seems the more consistent path.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 7:22 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
I suppose you could proliferate, but then poison seems the more consistent path.

You can't use proliferate on cards in exile, and a creature card in exile with 2 hit counters on it is still only one creature card with hit counters on it. :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 7:42 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:

Proliferate won't work, it says you need three exiled permanents with at least one hit counter.

Edit: yeah what Spacemonaut said

I was thinking big black mana (Cabal Coffers etc.) paired with some extra turn shenanigans, but I guess bouncing would work as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-18 8:15 pm 

Nigerian Prince wrote:

I was thinking big black mana (Cabal Coffers etc.) paired with some extra turn shenanigans, but I guess bouncing would work as well.
What am I, chopped liver?

:P

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-19 12:27 am 

Viperion wrote:
Nigerian Prince wrote:

What am I, chopped liver?

:P

Well I'm not familiar with Martian anatomy, but I assume it's an Englishy not-to-be-taken-literally thingy?

I edited to his reaction that proliferate doesn't work, not the post about blinking and flickering ;-)

But recognition is due, dear Viperion, I hereby award you 6.250 credit!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next