Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 1:52 am

Post subject: M20 Spoiler discussion
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 5:30 am 

From The Command Zone:

Triple colour in the core set? That's neat. My immediate impression is powerful but not busted. Some kind of Young Pyromancer/Talrand vibe, but with mana production added as well.

To be honest it doesn't do that much for me, but it's pretty cool

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: M20 Spoiler discussion
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 5:41 am 

Yeah, there's supposed to be something of a 'wedge' theme to M20 (read that in Rosewater's column).

I'm kinda looking forward to Thought Distortion:

Hit my brother where it hurts 2x over :p (I'm disliking his Muldrotha deck. This will help.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 5:47 am 

Core Set 2020 is already shaping up to be better than Modern Horizons. I will never understand people who think core sets are lame. This thing is gonna be awesome just like last year maybe even more.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 6:00 am 

Viperion wrote:
From The Command Zone:

Triple colour in the core set? That's neat. My immediate impression is powerful but not busted. Some kind of Young Pyromancer/Talrand vibe, but with mana production added as well.

To be honest it doesn't do that much for me, but it's pretty cool

From MaRo's mothership article, and this preview, it appears that there may be a new commander for each wedge matching to the themes for the wedge in the set. For those that haven't read the article, the themes are:

Jeskai - Flying (This legend definitely plays well with the theme)
Temur - Elementals
Abzan - Go Wide
Mardu - Aggro
Sultai - Control w/ETB Effects

Could be fun to see.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 6:03 am 

Wow, is this better than the best UG creature of all time, Coiling Oracle? You don't reveal the card, and it triggers multiple times if you have more elementals...

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 9:11 am 

Viperion wrote:
Wow, is this better than the best UG creature of all time, Coiling Oracle? You don't reveal the card, and it triggers multiple times if you have more elementals...

Yea I already had a bit of an elementals thing started, but with Morophon, the Boundless and this.

NEW DECK INCOMING

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 11:32 am 

Animar needed more help :shock:
Perhaps I should build a new deck with an elemental theme.

Core set seems interesting, if it's wedge themed them my first question is, what is the fixing going to be?

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 1:29 pm 

From Blogatog

Quote:
ascan7 asked:Thank you for Kykar, what a cool card! A whole cycle of wedge legendaries, i can't believe it! The elder dragons from m19 were awesome designs that sparked interest both in new player and commander veterans, i think the new wedge legends will be even better! Really good choice, great job, keep core sets this good forever and ever

MaRo: I agree that I think the wedge legendary creatures will go over well.

Looks like Wedge Legends (Wedendaries?) are confirmed!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 2:13 pm 

Istarkano wrote:
Wedgendaries

Thanks, I hate it :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 2:02 am 

Kykar is AWESOME.

"Fixed" Kaalia:
Neat art, but I highly doubt anyone would play this version over OG Kaalia. Shame, because OG Kaalia is so lame and boring. This one could be much more cool, but seems TOO underpowered to really draw anyone in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 2:38 am 

...so I might have to build this.

I gotta say I was really excited when I saw the art for Kaalia, and then pretty meh when I saw the ability.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 2:45 am 

I'll have to disagree; I vastly prefer this over old Kaalia.

- Better body and cheaper, which means she herself can actually pull some weight as a combatant.
- Original Kaalia is a glorified ramp spell that takes a turn (or another card) to get going, new Kaalia is a glorified draw spell that you get instantly
- "You may reveal an Angel card, a Demon card, and/or a Demon card". With some luck, Top effects, and/or good deckbuilding, this card is an Ancestral Recall stapled onto a slightly smaller Serra Angel, all for 3
- Old Kaalia is an engine and removal magnet, a combination which often translates into "I'm going to spend turn after turn paying commander tax, since the deck doesn't work without her in play and nobody wants her to go off". Constantly blowing up and recasting new Kaalia actually helps the Kaalia player.
- This Kaalia is better for Cleric tribal, as her interaction with Changelings is stronger.
- I personally prefer the new art to the old.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 5:06 am 

I like New Kaalia a lot too. I might even build with her.

Old Kaalia is either exceptionally powerful or practically unuseable. Like Uktabi_Kong says, nobody can afford to let her go off or she'll put down a terrifying 9-mana creature on turn 4 or 5, and either I'm busy doing terrifying things or I'm wasting tons of resources trying to do them and failing.

New Kaalia does a lot to help me out straight away, and I can actually make use of her without also becoming the automatic table archenemy at turn 1.

I'm pscyhed about the new Jeskai commander because they're actually versatile in ways the current commanders aren't! I'm looking forward to using them, it's one of my favorite color combinations but one I haven't been able to make use of in EDH.

The Core & Commander article today on the mothership mentioned that the Abzan commander would be "go wide", which I super want to see. I've been floundering a bit trying to figure out how to make an Abzan go-wide deck, and maybe that'll help things click for me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 5:34 am 

Yeah, old Kaalia is a "kill on sight" target.

New Kaalia is... if I kill her, she'll come back and create more value ... but leaving her is "only" a 3/3 flying vigilance creature.

Of course, having her pick up a demon that required a creature sacrifice for some reason would be great, so your opponents are between a rock and a hard place :)

I kinda like the Field of the Dead

... in a non-mono coloured deck, shouldn't be too hard to come up with 7 differently named lands. Any extra benefit from a land drop doesn't hurt so long as you can afford this as a colourless source.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 5:42 am 

I love Field of the Dead.

I hate the fact that the best deck I currently own for it would be my Kynaios and Tiro deck. Because nothing says "every color but black" more than a billion zombies!

Offline Profile