MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/

Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18952
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Inkeyes22 [ 2018-Sep-27 6:05 am ]
Post subject:  Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

So you have likely played the game "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon"

It is a parlor game based on the "six degrees of separation" concept, which posits that any two people on Earth are six or fewer acquaintance links apart. Movie buffs challenge each other to find the shortest path between an arbitrary actor and prolific actor Kevin Bacon. It rests on the assumption that anyone involved in the Hollywood film industry can be linked through their film roles to Bacon within six steps.


For example, I say Sol Ring and Muldrotha, the Gravetide. Well Sol Ring was in From the Vault: Relics with Nevinyrral's Disk, Nevinyrral lived in Urborg, Multani moved a big chunk for Yavamaya to Urborg to fight during the Phyrexian invasion, and Muldrotha is the spawn of Multani. (I would get 4 points as it is 4 degrees of seperation.)

So here is the twist... if you think you can make a quicker connection than the person above you did you can put that down and give them all your points. (Yes in this game points are bad).

Then you give a random card for the next person to connect to Sol Ring.

Gamekeeper

Author:  spacemonaut [ 2018-Sep-27 6:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

Inkeyes22 wrote:

They're both in C16. (Is that 1 point?)

Do I give someone all my cumulative points when I best their join, or do I give them the points my current answer would give me?
(It sounds like if I leave this answer as my only one I get only 1 point forever. :D)

Gaea's Herald

Author:  Inkeyes22 [ 2018-Sep-27 7:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

spacemonaut wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:

They're both in C16. (Is that 1 point?)

Do I give someone all my cumulative points when I best their join, or do I give them the points my current answer would give me?
(It sounds like if I leave this answer as my only one I get only 1 point forever. :D)

Gaea's Herald


So if someone were to find a faster connection, they would give all their points to the previous poster. you are correct if you never post again you would retain your 1 point, unless someone found a faster connection of course. If I were to find a faster connection, I would give my current 4 points and any other points I have earned up until that point to the previous poster.

Yawgmoth believed that Gaea was actually Rebbec or the Weatherlight, the Weatherlight was crewed by several People, one of them Crovax, Crovax was in love with the Angel Selenia, Selenia was created by the Planeswalker Serra, Serra Angel has been reprinted several times along with Sol Ring (Alpha, Beta, several Commander sets).

Teferi's Puzzle Box

Author:  CrazyPierre [ 2018-Sep-30 12:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

Let's see if I can get this done on my weird, warped way:

Kaja drew Teferi's Puzzle Box, Mark Tedin drew Sol Ring.
Kaja and Mark were both at GenCon 1994 Artist's Alley doing signings. Zak Dolan was also at GenCon 1994 playing some casual, and he had Sol Ring in one of his signature decks.

So that's...three degrees? :lol: :oops:

Author:  Inkeyes22 [ 2018-Oct-01 1:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

CrazyPierre wrote:
Let's see if I can get this done on my weird, warped way:

Kaja drew Teferi's Puzzle Box, Mark Tedin drew Sol Ring.
Kaja and Mark were both at GenCon 1994 Artist's Alley doing signings. Zak Dolan was also at GenCon 1994 playing some casual, and he had Sol Ring in one of his signature decks.

So that's...three degrees? :lol: :oops:


I think you could skip the Zak Dolan and it would be 2 degrees... This might be a little more complex than needed too. I just thought the other Forum Games are interesting to see what other people do, but not very brain intestive... this one would be a little more challenging.

Author:  cryogen [ 2018-Oct-01 5:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

I think the correct answer is that Card X is legal in EDH and Sol Ring belongs in every EDH deck. So, 1 degree. Do I win?




I'll see myself out now.

Author:  Inkeyes22 [ 2018-Oct-01 5:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

cryogen wrote:
I think the correct answer is that Card X is legal in EDH and Sol Ring belongs in every EDH deck. So, 1 degree. Do I win?




I'll see myself out now.


I can see that this wasn't a great idea... sorry.

Author:  spacemonaut [ 2018-Oct-01 9:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

Inkeyes22 wrote:
cryogen wrote:
I think the correct answer is that Card X is legal in EDH and Sol Ring belongs in every EDH deck. So, 1 degree. Do I win?




I'll see myself out now.


I can see that this wasn't a great idea... sorry.

This was just a lot easier than you or even I appear to have anticipated, and has a couple of not-immediately-obvious but breaking weaknesses. I appreciate that you tried it out though.

Maybe it can work with more specific restrictions. Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon required us to connect actors by movies and TV shows they've been in. Or in more technical terms, actors were the nodes and shared film appearances were the only allowed connections. Things like "both did action movies" or "both were in a movie" aren't acceptable connections, which here are like "both are legal in commander".

Incidentally understanding what counts as a legit connection will help us understand how to score.

The "trading all our points up" thing probably should go because it disincentivises repeat activity. Scoring could be replaced overall to be cumulative: for each submission you get 7 points minus the number of connections you made. 6 connections = you get (7-6=)1 point, but 1 connection = you get 6 points. This means more posts = good!

Edit: Alternately, just remove scoring altogether, because people probably don't need scoring to motivate them to participate in a forum game: just try to make every connection in 6 or less degrees.

Author:  Treamayne [ 2018-Oct-01 10:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

spacemonaut wrote:
Maybe it can work with more specific restrictions. Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon required us to connect actors by movies and TV shows they've been in. Or in more technical terms, actors were the nodes and shared film appearances were the only allowed connections. Things like "both did action movies" or "both were in a movie" aren't acceptable connections, which here are like "both are legal in commander".


^This. If you want a six degrees type game, you would probably have to limit to sets. Example:

Balduvian Shaman
in Ice Age there is also Counterspell which was in ABUR
Sol Ring was in ABUR.

Even that might be too easy, so it would behoove players to pick obscure cards without reprints. Possibly, not even have Sol Ring as the sole "destination". Something like Altar of Bone > Power Conduit?

Author:  Sovarius [ 2018-Oct-03 8:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

Altar of Bone was in Ice Age
Which included Icy Manipulator
Icy Manipulator was reprinted in Mirrodin with Power Conduit.


Herald of Leshrac and Fireball

Author:  NMS [ 2018-Oct-03 8:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

Herald of Leshrac was (only) in Coldsnap with Blizzard Specter...
which was in Iconic Masters with Fireball.

Maybe I can come up with something that'll take more than 2 degrees (assuming basic lands aren't allowed).

Colossapede and Cavern Crawler

Author:  spacemonaut [ 2018-Oct-03 9:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

NMS wrote:
Maybe I can come up with something that'll take more than 2 degrees (assuming basic lands aren't allowed).

Colossapede and Cavern Crawler

(I think disallowing basic lands is very sensible. :D)

Cavern Crawler was in Masques with Brainstorm.
Brainstorm was in 5th edition with Giant Spider.
Giant Spider was in Amonkhet, where we have Colossapede.

Reef Worm and Malignus

Author:  Tim Proctor [ 2018-Oct-25 11:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Forum Games: Six Degrees of Sol Ring

spacemonaut wrote:


Soul of the Harvest was printed in C14 w/ Reef Worm and AVR w/ Malignus.

My random cards via the Scryfall random card search are:

Thrummingbird and Guardian Beast

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 7 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/