Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:31 am

Post subject: Best Commander Content
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-27 2:31 pm 

So who's writing the best Commander stuff nowadays?

(besides Sheldon)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Best Commander Content
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-27 4:40 pm 

I really like Jason Alt on Gatheringmagic, his 75% philosophy is pretty good.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-28 8:38 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I really like Jason Alt on Gatheringmagic, his 75% philosophy is pretty good.

This.

I also like Abe Sargent, also om GM, quite a lot. He's a good writer about casual magic, although his EDH content isn't that great. GM has more decent EDH content.

Sean McKeown (Dear Azami) was great, but unfortunately he quit writing about EDH.

I like the content on EDHREC.com. Not a specific writer I could mention, but there is a good of readable stuff there, though a bit data driven (unsurprising, since it's a statistics site). Bruce Richard is nice to read, but I can't name the site he's writing for now (ok, googled it, it's here).

The mothership used to be great, but after the last reorganization it's utter crap. Their daily updates were great. Adam Styborski made excellent EDH content. He manages the site I linked above, and still writes regularly (but not much about EDH).

There's a whole world of podcasts and youtube to explore, but the information density there is too low for my taste.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-29 12:10 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
There's a whole world of podcasts and youtube to explore, but the information density there is too low for my taste.

MTG Muddstah (paper) and Commander Replay (MTGO) have tightly edited games, generally 7-20 minutes (or less at higher speeds).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-30 11:31 am 

I kinda enjoy watching Saffron Olive, Tomer and whomever else they can dig up doing Commander games through MTGO. It's usually a good hour slog, I think, but generally kinda fun.
They had one that was on theme of movies a while ago, which was neat.

Jugan, the Rising Star - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-01 2:06 am 

Decksplanations on commandercast is still one of the better top level series I’ve read, though it’s written from a fairly spiky perspective for Commander. It goes fairly deep on a large number or important concepts.

http://www.commandercast.com/series/decksplanations

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-01 9:18 pm 

He no longer writes anywhere that I'm aware of, but Erik Tiernan's SCG articles were among the best I'd ever read whilst they were ongoing. I didn't agree with everything contained therein, but there was a lot of good stuff in there from both a deckbuilding and play perspective.

Also, um.

*looks around nervously*

I myself write Commander articles from time to time. They're a bit long, and I'm absolutely not the best, but if you're looking for things to read...?

http://www.masterofmagics.co.uk/author/samwaters/

*runs off*

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Machine Red)
Sigarda, Heron's Grace (Innistrad's Industrial Revolution)
X (The Spy Who Un'd Me)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Polymorphs)
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Shadowborn Apostles)
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (So Me To You)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 7:55 am 

Kemev wrote:
So who's writing the best Commander stuff nowadays?

(besides Sheldon)

I think it depends on what you are looking for. There are some strong Spike columns and such that support the sort of Spike-heavy metagame I run into a lot in my pickup games. There are also some fun Timmy articles and also some fun Johnny articles with crazy combos and such. Is there something you are looking for and want to find?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 10:37 am 

Swmystery wrote:
I myself write Commander articles from time to time. They're a bit long, and I'm absolutely not the best, but if you're looking for things to read...?

*runs off*

Is this where we're all to polite to actually plug our own content? I started the thread partly 'cause I just landed a blogging gig at a LGS up in Albany, NY (my first article just posted this past week) and was looking for other people to network with. Or find a professional nemesis (along the lines of it's hard to make money if you're the only lawyer in town, but if you got two lawyers...).

I'm assuming AbeSargent is Abe Sargent who might've written an article or two for Gathering Magic / CoolStuff :P

AbeSargent wrote:
Is there something you are looking for and want to find?

Mostly looking for actual articles (preferably with new ideas). I only like written content (I read pretty quick and get impatient with video). I also suspect that the combination of reddit + EDHrec has some strange effects on Commander writing (although maybe not the actual commander metagame).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-03 1:00 am 

Kemev wrote:
Swmystery wrote:

*runs off*

Is this where we're all to polite to actually plug our own content?

I appreciate your guys sharing your content. I read all the articles so far. Keep em coming!

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-11 9:28 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I appreciate your guys sharing your content. I read all the articles so far. Keep em coming!

Ok! I wrote you another thing: https://www.flipsidegaming.com/blogs/magic-blog/kaervek-learns-to-read-a-deck-list

Edit: link fixed, because apparently I like y'all but not well enough to give you a working link

Last edited by Kemev on 2018-Oct-17 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 12:34 am 

AbeSargent wrote:
I think it depends on what you are looking for. There are some strong Spike columns and such that support the sort of Spike-heavy metagame I run into a lot in my pickup games. There are also some fun Timmy articles and also some fun Johnny articles with crazy combos and such. Is there something you are looking for and want to find?

I fanatically read Abe's work when he was on SCG. Abe, you might remember my username from some of the comments from back before they switched to FB ;). Occasionally read as he moved sites, not because of the articles being any less interesting but because of time constraints: I barely read articles these days. I highly recommend Abe's work.

I really should build a "deck of happiness and joy" some day.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 7:00 pm 

pi wrote:
Abe, you might remember my username from some of the comments from back before they switched to FB ;).

This is funny, because we must have seen each other's posts there :) I liked SCG's forum (well, the article section) because it was a place where there was some decent discussion about the articles, with the authors chiming in on a regular basis. That SCG nixed the forum and went to frontpage datamining plugins was a real bummer.

I recognise what you say about reading less: for me, my interest in magic articles declined when Wizards, and subsequently every website, changed their publishing time: I used to get out of bed and start reading fresh content. Nowadays the content is published a few minutes before I get out of the train that takes me from work to home (well, I do not live in a train station, but I guess you get the point), which gives me just enough times to check some sites for the titles of the articles, not even the articles themselves. Ages ago I even read about drafting (and I hate drafting) if an author I liked wrote about it, and I read everything on every constructed format published on the mothership and SCG. Today, I only read commander content, even when Bennie writes about his neverending quest to achieve anything in standard with his golgari concoctions (OK, maybe I still read those occasionally to check if he succeeded, and no, dredge doesn't count). But I still read all Abe's articles.

What also didn't exactly help is the end of Google Reader.

What Abe writes for Mananation Gatheringmagic Coolstuffinc(tm) is a bit different from what he wrote on SCG. Or well, perhaps not that different, but he writes more than one article each week, so he writes different styles of articles. That is not something you see with other MTG writers, or at least not on a regular basis.

Kemev wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:

Ok! I wrote you another thing: [url]https://www.flipsidegaming.com/blogs/magic-blog/kaervek-learns-to-read-a-deck-list
[/url]

Nice stuff. I like your tiger idea. Is there going to be some Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in there eventually?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 8:48 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
Nice stuff. I like your tiger idea. Is there going to be some Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in there eventually?

Imperial Hellkite is a pretty "Hidden Dragon" in a few different senses. Also fetches a number of the dragons that behave particularly well with Kaervek like Stormbreath Dragon, Deathbringer Regent etc.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-17 2:20 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:

...Maybe :O

It depends on which deck I get happy with next. I've been tooling around with a couple different new builds, but haven't hit a good spot with any of 'em yet. I might write about Rith, but there's not much hiding... "HI I AM A LARGE DRAGON AND WILL HIT YOU IN THE FACE RAWWWR"

I'd like to build Dragonstorm with a certain nefarious Grixis-colored Saint too, but I had to break down and buy another Demonic Tutor, and also I keep decking myself goldfishing (!) 'cause it turns out Epic Experiment into Mind's Desire makes weird stuff happen.

Mr Degradation wrote:
[
Imperial Hellkite is a pretty "Hidden Dragon"

Hah.

I used to run more dragons, but the demons took over. Typical jerks.

I started reading more of the articles on EDHrec... some of those folks are pretty good. I wish they wrote for a different website though, 'cause I feel like the deck rec tool itself is a force for evil.

Offline Profile