Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:23 am

Post subject: mtgo prices reprise
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-15 5:42 am 

A while ago I was grumbling about what I perceived as artificially high prices on MTGO. Well it seems following rotation that those prices have dropped unusually low according to a reliable source on PureMtgo ...

5 Oct 2018 The big number is the retail price of a playset (4 copies) of every card available on MTGO. Assuming you bought the least expensive versions available, the cost of owning a playset of every card on MTGO is approximately $16,845. That’s down about $1,590 from two weeks ago. That a big drop – larger than usual after a new set appears.

12 Oct 2018 $15,345, that’s down another $1,500 from last week.

I got my wish of a price drop on the cards I wanted.

So what do people here make of this all? Were prices inflated too far or is MTGO dying as limited players switch to Arena?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: mtgo prices reprise
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-15 6:08 am 

I think that has a part, yeah. The queues are much longer on MTGO than they were, but I really don't care for keeping up with standard. Limits my options, and I wonder if/when MTGO dies what to do with the cards I have there...

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-19 5:52 am 

This week $15,345, down another $565. I make that a drop of 17% in 4 weeks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-26 8:08 am 

$14,325, down another thousand from last week.
So in 5 weeks that's 22% fall (from 18,435).

It's a great time to get into MTGO folks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-26 6:58 pm 

I have some cards that are worth something, but I only played constructed around Kamigawa. I'm not sure I want to invest in MTGO as Arena seems the way forward. I hope they'll shove MTGO v3.0 in an Arena shell, but once Wizards figures out they can make money by releasing another game... I doubt MTGO will get any better.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-27 6:14 am 

I kinda agree... I think MTGO will die and Arena will eventually support all the formats. Not having to deal with bots ever again isn't the worst thing

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-27 9:34 am 

Hopefully if they phase out MTGO there will be an option for liquidating your collection or porting it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-29 11:19 am 

Im not suprised that the prices are dropping, people probably dont want to invest in MTGO when there is a new shiny toy to play with.

It's hard to deny that MTGO is going to be phasing out over time, it's simply not cost-effective to maintain two different platforms. That said it won't be for a long time.

There is currently no plan to bring in a back catalog of cards into Arena which means for the mid-term future, modern, legacy and vintage are all strictly the domain of MTGO. Commander too is going to be mostly stuck on MTGO for the foreseeable.

The two programs are being designed with different audiences in mind. Arena is a direct replacement for Duels and might replace MTGO in years to come, but don't hold your breath.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-30 5:40 am 

As long as you can't trade in Arena it does lack a lot of appeal. On MTGO you could even bail out by selling your stuff.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-30 8:58 pm 

I think the issue with trading on mtgo is it enables profit better than it enables a viable constructed metagame. Arena has a great opportunity to become fun to play without filling trader pockets.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-01 10:02 am 

True, the downside for standard players is you can't "rent" a deck. It was not uncommon for people to buy a deck, play it for a few weeks then sell off the cards to buy something else. It enabled a lot of "try before you buy" if you wanted to play standard in paper. In arena you can't even buy the deck you want, you just have to open packs until you have the cards or enough wild cards to get what you want, and it's not particularly easy to transition to other decks. If you spend all your rare wild cards building BW tokens and then decide you want to play GB reanimator you are stuck buying all the cards again.

In eternal (or hearthstone I assume, I don't play that one) if there is a major meta change and I really want to build something else, I can at least trash my entire collection for some credit and re-build a new deck of exactly the cards I want.

They have at least announced they will implement a friend system sometime soon so you can plan to test a particular match up with your team.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-01 6:49 pm 

To be honest I never understood wotc reluctance to provide a pay to use model. They're too hung up on the paper delivery system.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-10 11:49 pm 

OldVig wrote:
$14,325, down another thousand from last week.
So in 5 weeks that's 22% fall (from 18,435).

This week $13,550, another $775. This is now a 7 week downward trend.
At what point do I get worried that the community is fading away?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-11 2:11 am 

Well, now, because it is a bit. But it's not going to vanish completely.

Lots of people played mtgo because it was the only way to play digital. Now that arena is a choice, there's people moving to that. The price drops are a result of the drop in demand.

However MTGO still offers things Arena does not, like commander, so people interested in that will be staying with MTGO.

Offline Profile