Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-24 6:27 pm

Post subject: Re: Personal EDH Philosophies
AgePosted: 2019-May-23 7:40 am 

My friends and I created a system of Cycling cards out of the format. On the last Weekend of each month we get together with a new deck each (sometimes two if we had some spare time). Deck lists are typed out. We play EDH for several games....then we compare decklists.

If a card appears on more than one decklist. It becomes cycled out, and is not eligible to be selected for next months group night. For Instance:

The Maelstrom Wanderer deck and the Sharuum the Hegemon deck both have Cyclonic Rift in their list. Cyclonic Rift cannot be used in ANY deck at the next gathering. At the next gathering, because Cyclonic rift appears in 0 decks, it becomes eligible for use again.

What you typically see is players trying to be more creative with the cards they pick, so it is less likely someone else is going to also be running it! Cards that cycle a lot: (Basic Lands do not count, and nonbasics that only tap for land do not count. However, Homeward path/High market do)

Sol Ring
Solemn Simulacrum
Cyclonic Rift
Rite of Replication
Insurrection
Cultivate
Explosive Growth
Skyshroud Claim
Tooth and Nail
Victimize
Grave Titan
Sun Titan
Wrath of God
Hallowed Burial
Guilded Lotus
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Austere Command
Bribery
Elesh Norn
Molten primordial
Sepulchral Primordial
Homeward Path
Rogues Passage
Stuffy Doll
Wonder
Anger
Etc.

When the overly used cards are being tanked, it rewards people playing less popular colors....like...uh...Red. We use a whiteboard in my buddies garage to track the cycled out cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 8:28 am 

CanadianCole wrote:
My friends and I created a system of Cycling cards out of the format. On the last Weekend of each month we get together with a new deck each (sometimes two if we had some spare time). Deck lists are typed out. We play EDH for several games....then we compare decklists.

If a card appears on more than one decklist. It becomes cycled out, and is not eligible to be selected for next months group night. For Instance:

The Maelstrom Wanderer deck and the Sharuum the Hegemon deck both have Cyclonic Rift in their list. Cyclonic Rift cannot be used in ANY deck at the next gathering. At the next gathering, because Cyclonic rift appears in 0 decks, it becomes eligible for use again.

What you typically see is players trying to be more creative with the cards they pick, so it is less likely someone else is going to also be running it! Cards that cycle a lot: (Basic Lands do not count, and nonbasics that only tap for land do not count. However, Homeward path/High market do)

Sol Ring
Solemn Simulacrum
Cyclonic Rift
Rite of Replication
Insurrection
Cultivate
Explosive Growth
Skyshroud Claim
Tooth and Nail
Victimize
Grave Titan
Sun Titan
Wrath of God
Hallowed Burial
Guilded Lotus
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Austere Command
Bribery
Elesh Norn
Molten primordial
Sepulchral Primordial
Homeward Path
Rogues Passage
Stuffy Doll
Wonder
Anger
Etc.

When the overly used cards are being tanked, it rewards people playing less popular colors....like...uh...Red. We use a whiteboard in my buddies garage to track the cycled out cards.

This is really interesting. I wonder if my local playgroups would want to explore something like this for some of our meet-ups.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 10:53 am 

Wolfsbane706 wrote:
So besides the philosophies that the Rules Committee put forth, what personal philosophies do you have about EDH and how games should go? Personally, a game you can't really remember or influence in some way isn't much of a game.

I don't know how well I'll end up articulating myself, but I'll try my best with examples I suppose. I refuse to run Iona, Shield of Emeria in my MW Angel tribal deck. I generally refuse to run anything with Infect or Annihilator (Blightsteel Colossus does get a pass in my tribal Golems, if for no other reasons than I am playing tribal Golems). I refuse to run any of the NPH Praetors. I run Mana Crypt in coin flip not for fast mana, but because it flips coins. I guess I just have my own definition of what is "fun" in this game and what I consider to be "unfun" and go from there. I won't refuse to play someone who is running any of the above that I myself may refuse to run. But don't be surprised if you get focused by me. :lol: I honestly think that there are more cards that, entirely in my own opinion, should be added to the ban list, but I also acknowledge that other people have fun in different ways than I do and that their idea of "fun" is no less valid than my own.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 2:26 pm 

Grave Titan and Molten Primordial are on your "appear too much" list?

What I'd give to be in that position. Instead I'm stuck trying to convince people not to run extra turn effects in Narset...

Offline Profile