Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-15 6:19 am

Post subject: What features go in a playmat?
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-24 10:38 am 

So I am wondering what features/aspects people would like to see on a playmat?

Zone Areas: Library, Graveyard, Exile, Command Zone
Life Counters

I have seen all sorts of stuff, wondering what people like the most and would like to see?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What features go in a playmat?
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-24 11:09 am 

Honestly? A picture that is nice to look at, but not too distracting/with not too much going on in the art (so you don't lose cards on it)

And that's all.

If you have marked areas, what happens when I have 200 Squirrel Tokens? Or 30, totally different, lands? Or I want to spread my graveyard out? If I have face up and face down cards in exile?

I've never liked playmats with marked zones on them, I find them too constraining and/or I ignore the zones anway.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-24 11:39 am 

For the tokens I split into tapped and untapped and use dice when it gets that high.

If you have 30 unique lands in play then you're too big for a playmat anyway. Like that's a lot of nonbasics.

The only zones I would have would be the four main, but I am looking at doing something special for the Command Zone.

Essentially I'm looking at creating a custom playmate for my new Support Shaco deck (see your Grixis spellcaster threat in Strategy), and thought that zones and a counter for how many times the Commander has died (although I can't imagine actually ever casting Inalla). I also wanted to flip the image so the opponent(s) saw it. My thoughts are below in the spoiler.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W3wZZ5Py5zeT2ThM7

Last edited by Tim Proctor on 2018-Oct-25 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-24 7:58 pm 

Tim Proctor wrote:
I have seen all sorts of stuff, wondering what people like the most and would like to see?

I'm with Viperion in that all I want to see is nice art. I can't & don't use the zones they lay down for the same reasons—and because where my deck or command zone is needs to vary based on the table I sit down at.

The Ultra Pro Commander 2016 playmats have some numbering along the top edge which I've had some functional use for a couple of times, but I would still prefer just the plain art. (They also have a command zone outlined, but I don't use it because see above.)

That said though, if this is just about a playmat you're making for your own private use, is asking us what we want from our playmats really the question you want to be asking? Do you instead want to ask us what all the coolest playmat features are we've seen or something?

P.S. I can't view whatever's in that spoiler, I just get a “no access” bar. Try taking a look in incognito mode to see what I mean. I imagine that's a picture for which you haven't turned on public sharing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:41 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
P.S. I can't view whatever's in that spoiler, I just get a “no access” bar. Try taking a look in incognito mode to see what I mean. I imagine that's a picture for which you haven't turned on public sharing.

I was curious if that was it, or if the planned image was just the "no access" icon in the middle of the playmat :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 3:26 am 

Carthain wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:

I was curious if that was it, or if the planned image was just the "no access" icon in the middle of the playmat :)

That'd be very avant garde.

@Tim: Your avatar image is also blocked, so you may want to turn that one on for sharing as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 5:01 am 

Should be fixed now.

My avatar image was back in the day when we all copied Alex and put mustaches on our avatars. I'll find something decent to put on there.

I should note that I've never used a playmat before and I don't want to go through the trouble of doing this and coming to the realization that I should have done X or Y and then not have done it. Thus me attempting to identify what other people enjoy out of their playmat usage and such.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 9:10 am 

The post image is fixed. As for the avatar did you cast Clone? :P

I've used a handful of kinds. If you find you always, always put down your cards in the same place, then guidelines may not be unhelpful. They're still not really needed though.

Are you able to borrow a friend's playmat instead and try it out?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 9:20 am 

Tim Proctor wrote:
I should note that I've never used a playmat before and I don't want to go through the trouble of doing this and coming to the realization that I should have done X or Y and then not have done it. Thus me attempting to identify what other people enjoy out of their playmat usage and such.

Play with your playmat picture facing away from you: so many people
go on tilt at this... maybe my meta is overrepresented by ocd people :P

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-26 1:11 am 

I currently use this playmat from card kingdom https://www.cardkingdom.com/mtg-supplie ... n-the-left

the only thing I wish it had was a zone for suspend,since I have a suspend deck. I use it because it helps keep me organized and I sometimes forget the order of steps.

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-26 3:07 am 

I kind of like this one, but haven't gotten around to sourcing one: https://imgur.com/De3HBwv

I currently use the minimalist GP Montreal Amonkhet one: https://imgur.com/ioCQKGM

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-26 7:03 am 

trappedslider wrote:
I currently use this playmat from card kingdom https://www.cardkingdom.com/mtg-supplie ... n-the-left

the only thing I wish it had was a zone for suspend,since I have a suspend deck. I use it because it helps keep me organized and I sometimes forget the order of steps.

Suspended cards live in the Exile zone (although I understand why it would be advantageous to have a separate area for "cards in exile which also have counters on them"

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-30 3:07 pm 

I don't like game clutter on my playmats.
I like seeing things I like, right now it's movie stuff.
Some examples, all from InkedGaming.
YOu can get them less grainy by using GIMP.
Let your mind roam and your art shine!

Mulholland Drive playmat:

Thee Colors:White because I looooooooove this trilogy by Kieslowski

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-02 3:40 pm 

Viperion wrote:
trappedslider wrote:

Suspended cards live in the Exile zone (although I understand why it would be advantageous to have a separate area for "cards in exile which also have counters on them"

I just use the area that shows the steps

IIRC a user here a few years ago had Kevin Spacey standing at the resolute desk from House of Cards as his playmat

EDIT: this Image

and here's an old thread about custom playmats

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-04 2:52 am 

OldVig wrote:
Tim Proctor wrote:

Play with your playmat picture facing away from you: so many people
go on tilt at this... maybe my meta is overrepresented by ocd people :P

Off topic, but I have a liking for turning the top card of my friend's decks around between games. Sometimes they catch it, sometimes they don't. It's hilarious when they do catch it, though.

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile