Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-26 10:04 pm

Post subject: CAG Idea Feedback
AgePosted: 2019-Jan-21 1:43 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Just wanted to open up a space for discussion of the new Commander Advisory Group. What do you think about the idea in the first place? What are your hopes and fears? All feedback welcome.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: CAG Idea Feedback
AgePosted: 2019-Jan-21 3:55 am 

Personally I think it is a good idea. I am not familiar with everybody that is on the list, but those that I do know about are good choices and people that produce content that I enjoy.

Best guess is that you did this because the work load? I mean I know the RC are volunteers and you all have lives outside of EDH, but I guess I didn't think that rulings and discussions took a significant amount of time, maybe a couple hours a week. It makes sense as there are now way more people playing and way more people discussing EDH than even a few years ago that it would be challenging to keep up with all that is said in digital ink. I know that I tend to only go to a few sites as I only have time to read 1-2 articles a day and so I typically only hit up where I have found quality content in the past.

On a personal note, I am hoping that more fans of Recurring Nightmare are on the CAG. Maybe we can release some more cards into the wild.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-21 5:00 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
On a personal note, I am hoping that more fans of Recurring Nightmare are on the CAG. Maybe we can release some more cards into the wild.

I can't imagine Sheldon would go ahead with this scheme if it wouldn't lead to unbanned Recurring Nightmare.

As for the CAG, it seems like a good move to increase the number of people involved in decision making, even just for continuity's sake. The actual people involved are a diverse bunch, and that is a good thing as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-21 5:06 am 

I think it sounds fine, but I don't know what to think of it really since I don't know much about it. I'll wait and see in coming months what happens, and I'll be interested in hearing from the RC what they're doing in collaboration with the CAG.

I haven't done much reading of RC member articles (I don't follow SCG for example) so I don't know what the workload is like, but I imagine it involves a lot of engagement with the community. The end output that I'm aware of is quarterly B&R updates and, rarely, rules revisions.

Predominantly the status quo gets maintained, and I expect it's likely the status quo continues to be maintained, so not much changes for me. That's unless the CAG results in quite a significant departure from previous patterns. Since it may have no effect on my life and since whatever effect it may have is completely unknown to me that leaves me not knowing what I should think of it exactly, if anything.

I know the RC intends to eventually get some newer membership, this seems like a good way to handle that.

The format is missing a lot of core social guidance in how to successfully execute and navigate its philosophies especially in FLGS playgroups. I see that as the format's biggest weakness. I'm curious if the CAG will help manage that and hope it will.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-21 8:14 am 

As long as they are still sacrificing children in the name of Yawgmoth I am cool with it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-21 8:58 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Shabbaman wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:

I can't imagine Sheldon would go ahead with this scheme if it wouldn't lead to unbanned Recurring Nightmare.

As for the CAG, it seems like a good move to increase the number of people involved in decision making, even just for continuity's sake. The actual people involved are a diverse bunch, and that is a good thing as well.

No clue how the folks on the CAG see the card. May have shot ourselves in the foot here. Also, I *want to play* RN; I'm unconvinced that it would be good for the format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-21 9:16 am 

I really, really like the idea... I'm just not sure it does anything? These folks are already banner carriers for the format, and if the RC needed their advice, they're were always a dm away.

Could we get some elaboration on what this crew is doing?

I would also like it if the advisory group could find someone with on-the-ground business experience. Somewhere out there, there's a TO or LGS owner who does really well hosting Commander events... it would be nice to hear from them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-21 10:20 am 

Seems like a good idea - a little extra input can't hurt. 8)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-21 1:59 pm 

Because I didn't notice it any previous posts in this thread... announcement link

Sheldon wrote:
Just wanted to open up a space for discussion of the new Commander Advisory Group. What do you think about the idea in the first place? What are your hopes and fears? All feedback welcome.

Sacrificing tact for honesty... my first thought was
Quote:
STFU MTGO players, BOHICA

So many great EDH/Commander personalities with heavy MTGO preens and an understanding of how the social contract applies (or doesn't) in digital magic. So may ways to instigate discussion of what can be done, identifying the issues and contributing factors, how to distribute the message, etc. After all, many of the daily issues in MTGO are also convention pick-up game issues (except exaggerated and self-perpetuating online). Also, how some cards differ online vs paper and how/if that should factor into ban list decision making (Looking at you, SDT).

Well, WotC doesn't want MTGO players to have a voice, why should this be different?

That said, after some thought I do think it could be a generally positive step. Assuming the CAG will work as implied (basically a group that has more of a "hotline" to the RC for making sure BGCs are tracked and discussed; testing various LimDis projects for the RC; as well as helping with tracking climate, tone and temper in the community).
- There are more "faces" with whom the public can feel they are able to interact (e.g. "comments on a Rachel article might make it to the RC now that she is CAG").
- There are more people directly available to help the RC test possibilities before wider discussion.
- There is a broader "steady-access" to various digital/tournament/convention venues (I doubt even one member of the RC makes it to every large convention/tournament) that might otherwise slip through the cracks.
etc.

Just really wish somebody (anybody) cared about social formats in the "always a pick-up game" digital venues.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-22 4:08 am 

As long as they don't push the format to ultra cutthroat Legacy Highlander (there's enough people on the list that are anti that, so I think we're safe) the CAG is a good idea.

Too many people keep seeing Commander as a super competitive format and they think people need to conform to that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-22 5:35 am 

I'm glad it's not full of wotc employees and I'm glad wotc isn't taking over the rules.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-22 6:51 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Just really wish somebody (anybody) cared about social formats in the "always a pick-up game" digital venues.

Playing on MTGO also, I feel the pain here. I think there is enough of a population for pick-up games (compared to established playgroups) to warrant representation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-22 7:46 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
I'm glad it's not full of wotc employees and I'm glad wotc isn't taking over the rules.

That's another way to look at it. Fully agree.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-22 8:17 am 
EDH Rules Committee

tgambitg wrote:
As long as they don't push the format to ultra cutthroat Legacy Highlander (there's enough people on the list that are anti that, so I think we're safe) the CAG is a good idea.

Too many people keep seeing Commander as a super competitive format and they think people need to conform to that.

Do not have any fear on that account. We are committed to keeping Commander grounded in its roots as the not-tournament format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-22 3:44 pm 

I mentioned this in another thread but I'd really like to see a new major rules change, ideally something that promotes deck construction diversity. No clue how that should or could really be done, but more faces at the table will help bring new ideas.

Offline Profile