Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-13 2:07 pm

Post subject: Re: Commander 2019
AgePosted: 2019-Mar-11 6:22 am 

Probably going to skip this year unless the reprints are great.
Last year was a disappointment overall, and the last set I enjoyed was the Eminence ones, especially Ahrabo since so good in 1 v1 for a while.
If Eminence makes another comeback, I'm probably in. Just a theme deck (tribal or otherwise) likely gets a pass, especially with a price increase.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-11 7:32 am 

They have specifically said that they're aware of the (correctly) negative response to the reprints last year and will be correcting that this year. Whether they follow through or not remains to be seen of course

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-12 8:28 am 

CrazyPierre wrote:
...likely gets a pass, especially with a price increase.
Is there some specific data on this? It went up last year, is it really going up again?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-12 10:12 am 

Willbender wrote:
The bigger issue is that a lot of the purchasers of sealed product are newer players.

Limited is a thing. Just sayin'. I know my LGS moves a couple boxes worth of packs every Friday night for draft.

Willbender wrote:
If the price tag is higher, it's harder to get new players into the game. No new players = stagnant/dying community.

I mean, you're not wrong, but inflation is a thing. The price of a pack unfortunately can't remain at $4.00 indefinitely.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-13 12:50 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Willbender wrote:
The bigger issue is that a lot of the purchasers of sealed product are newer players.

Limited is a thing. Just sayin'. I know my LGS moves a couple boxes worth of packs every Friday night for draft.

Willbender wrote:
If the price tag is higher, it's harder to get new players into the game. No new players = stagnant/dying community.

I mean, you're not wrong, but inflation is a thing. The price of a pack unfortunately can't remain at $4.00 indefinitely.

I get this. I was not expecting to pay $45 CDN forever. But now it's closer to $55-$60 CDN, and for that much I can just get several singles for whatever deck I play, or do other stuff. I am expecting some nice reprints (No, we aren't getting Sensei's Top, but even Soothsaying or Mystic Remora wold be great, for example) and some way for Boros to really punch through all that life. I realize that halving life totals is a Black or White thing, but maybe a Gisela tweak or something. Like Boros so much but the 40 life per player :(. And lack of ramp. :(

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-13 4:00 pm 

MRHblue wrote:
CrazyPierre wrote:
...likely gets a pass, especially with a price increase.
Is there some specific data on this? It went up last year, is it really going up again?

It's not clear yet.

Wizards is doing away with MSRP on Magic products. Wholesale prices have gone up every year since original Zendikar (for 10 years now? cripes) without retail prices changing much, which has predictably led to much angst among retailers. Theoretically, not having posted MSRP means retailers should be free to raise prices to reclaim some of that margin they lost over the years. Practically, "MSRP" has always kinda been a polite fiction, and most folks have picked Amazon and/or other big online retailers as pricing benchmarks. It will probably take a couple sets before folks figure out how to price things for their business, so sealed prices will probably be all over the map until this fall.

So... definitely maybe prices go up?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-13 5:37 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Willbender wrote:

Willbender wrote:

Inflation is a thing? Not where I'm living...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-14 2:33 pm 

CrazyPierre wrote:
for that much I can just get several singles for whatever deck I play, or do other stuff.

That has always been true. To me, the pre-cons are all about the new cards. I like to get a copy of each just to have the stuff, and the reprints are gravy. That said, if you don't feel like you're getting enough bang for your buck, obviously don't buy them.

Shabbaman wrote:
Inflation is a thing? Not where I'm living...

Congrats?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-17 3:27 pm 

Viperion wrote:
They have specifically said that they're aware of the (correctly) negative response to the reprints last year and will be correcting that this year. Whether they follow through or not remains to be seen of course

Not that I don't believe you, but is there a source for this? I'm curious what they said about reprints...

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-17 5:46 pm 

Sinis wrote:
Viperion wrote:

Not that I don't believe you, but is there a source for this? I'm curious what they said about reprints...

It's been said a few times, but here's one I found on a quick "where did I see that again...." search:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DUGg9P ... u.be&t=835

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-22 12:04 am 

I hope they ceate more interaction with mechanics, introduced in previus CMDR sets.

Some , are pretty good but i think they need some cards to interact with them to generate added value to those mechanics. Example: a spell that its cost is reduced by one for each xperience counter you have.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-22 12:47 pm 

Welcome to the forums amigo.

Landfall wrote:
I hope they ceate more interaction with mechanics, introduced in previus CMDR sets.

Some , are pretty good but i think they need some cards to interact with them to generate added value to those mechanics. Example: a spell that its cost is reduced by one for each xperience counter you have.

Well, since Lieutenant has returned as a mechanic since it's 2014 debut, I would imagine some of the other popular mechanics may either have new cards using the mechanic or new ways to interact with the mechanic.

Like your example, equally plausible would be something like:

<cost>
Search for a basic land ...
Gain an experience counter

or

<cost>
When <this> deals combat damage to an opponent, that player loses that many experience counters.
1/1

Commander Storm, Undaunted and Confluence are probably the most likely to get more versions or offshoots.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-22 5:15 pm 

Don’t forget Myriad, the most criminally underutilized mechanic ever made.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-23 3:25 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Only because the times you get a lot of value out of it is inconsistent, so you really have to value it for getting one token, everything above being a bonus.

But that was just my experience, YMMV

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Mar-23 4:39 am 

cryogen wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Only because the times you get a lot of value out of it is inconsistent, so you really have to value it for getting one token, everything above being a bonus.

But that was just my experience, YMMV

Alternatively, having another way to gain advantage from the self-exiling tokens can make them worth a slot. Example: Greater Good loves to eat my Caller of the Pack tokens if they are blocked or after dealing combat damage.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile